Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Tyres

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 19:37    Post subject: Tyres Reply with quote

Why ar BFG tyres so well respected?

I am shortly in the market for 6 tyres.

265 x 65 x 17 BFG or prefered (265 x 70 x 17) All terrain.

I have heard that the side walls on the BFG are stronger than most.

What else sets the BFG apart from the rest, or are there other makers of all terrains that also have a good tyre construction.

I have heard reports of over landers driving from UK to Cape Town, and not having a single puncture with the BFG.

Graham
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 19:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Graham Smith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham

I am a BFG fan.
We fitted 285's.

We did 34 000 km on our trip, had only 1 puncture in N Sudan, and that was caused by driver error!!!
I wandered off a track, while trying to kill a fly, and hit a large sharp rock and split the sidewall.

Their performance in Sand is good, provided you drop the pressure to about 20psi, some go lower...

My rears are near the end of their life, but my fronts could do the trip two more times....

I have heard very good things about Michelin XZY tyres too...

www.sfo.me.uk

"Miranda":- 1994 HDJ80, Allisport Intercooler, Warn winch, ARB bullbar, OME suspension 6cm lift, Long Range tank, TJM Spare Wheel Carrier

"Dessie": Desert Wolf Lynx off-road trailer

Last edited by Graham Smith on Wed Apr 02, 2008 20:42; edited 1 time in total
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham,

i am rather limited in the tyre size, the 120 Land Cruisers use a 17 inch rim.

Are the XYZ tyre also have a stronger side wall?

graham
Moses

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree that BFG are an excellent choice. As with Graham, I ran mine at 20psi but on the Ubari sand sea  (Sahara/Libya). No problem at all. Had 100% faith in them. Laughing
I have been asked to try out the TOYO all terrain on our next trip to Libya in October. Used these in the Macmillan challenge a few years ago and where very good in the rain, mud and snow! Cool
However, my first choice would always be BFG. Laughing

Trev
Sat Nav Free Zone
Graham Smith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just had a look to see if they are available ...
Firstly, They are XZY not XYZ as I originally posted, so if you are googling using my info... Sorry Wink

I had a look at michelin.co.uk, and they dont even list the tyre...

I did find this Michelin XZY's , but the link there doesnt work...

Looks like they have been discontinued.... Probably because Michelin own BFG, so may only promote them...

Anyone got or tried these tyres? Arrow

www.sfo.me.uk

"Miranda":- 1994 HDJ80, Allisport Intercooler, Warn winch, ARB bullbar, OME suspension 6cm lift, Long Range tank, TJM Spare Wheel Carrier

Graham Smith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some useful info and tyre sizes for BFG here.
BF Goodrich

and the USA website has really good info.. BFG USA Site

So this is why we like BFG... Very Happy

www.sfo.me.uk

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 21:51    Post subject: BFGs Reply with quote

I haven't done what Graham and Moses have done - but you know what, if I were going to, I'd be doing it on BFGs. I've had three sets and never regretted the decision. Their rate of wear is excellent, I know a guy who did 107k on a set of ATs in his Disco. I have had all sorts of tyres, but never anything as good as they say they are. The Tri-gard side walls are very strong and give improved cornering strength too. I run mine with OKO tyre goo in them too. One set that I had, never lost pressure in the two years that they were on there. When I took them off, there were nails and screws stuck in there - but no loss of pressure.

Are they the best? I don't know. But are the excellent? Yes. In either AT or MT. I had a 120 with the 17" rims and I found that tyre choice was limited. It made me ask why the manufacturers of such a legendary vehicle would curse it with such a simple fault. Don't even ask if you can go for 16" rims. We've been there.

LC
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Graham, Moses, and Landcrusher for helping me with this tyre choice.

there seems to be a common choice, and BFG looks like the winner.

I feel the A/T is the choice for me.
I don't plan, or expect to get any mud on the way, just tarmac, gravel, and san, in that order.

Does any one have contacts or aquaintances where BFg can be got, without sacrificing an arm and a leg.

graham
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 22:39    Post subject: Tyre suppliers Reply with quote

As I said on my post yesterday, there has been an 8% increase from the 1st. I understand that this covers existing stock too! I have found that you can pay a huge range of prices for BFGs just like any other. I have always bought from my local Guy. As  guide, I just paid £103 fitted etc inc vat for a BFG MT 265.75.16 - so go from there. They said a day later they would have been £118.

Milner stock the STT which look very purposeful. Maybe worth speaking to them about tyres too. You could do worse than get a quote from Wingerworth Tyres here in Chesterfield. I do know that Michelin seem to have very little stock at present. So people may give you a good price, but have no delivery date.

LC
TonyS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,i have used cooper Sts for years now.never had a puncture,touch wood.Have 265 75 17 on our 120, a set of 285 75 16 on my 80. Travelled over 20000km in oz with them on the back, BFG AT on front, mostly on the dirt roads,like to stay off the bitumen.The coopers faired much better.
Both are great tyres, go with price and size for you.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony,

Were you able to get the 265 x 75 x R17 on the 120 series?

I thought the 265 x 70 x r17 looked big, them you have must be huge!

Did you have any lifting to do?

Did you have any plastics to trim or cut away?

Graham
TonyS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham,

Sorry got it wrong, they are 265 70 17,and they look great,no catching on arches either.

Cheers.Tony.
Gordy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got 285/75/16s on my colorado and on my shogun always had them can't beat them
nordic venture

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on where you are going, size is everything  Laughing  really.

if you are planning a trip across africa and need to buy another tyre you WILL be limited in which size you can get. remember that most 4x4's run 16 inch wheels. if you want choice, 235/85 r16 is a standard landrover fitment. in africa, the 7.50 r16 is still common (i believe).

if you're having trouble finding the size of tyre you want over here, how easy will it be in other parts of the world?

of course if you don't intend this sort of trip is doesn't really matter so much, but i would still shy away from the less common sizes. i learnt my lesson with my old landrover. it had 255/85r16 tyres and had them for a couple of years. one day i ripped the side wall. on trying to get a new tyre i discoverd that i was now limited to ONE tyre, BFG mud. (although i now think that cooper make this size in the ST or STT). not very handy, and i didn't need muddies. i swapped to 7.50's

when i got my colorado it had 265/70r16. there are plenty of tyres in this size but more in 265/75r16 (again a common landrover size, and readilly available should i need one in a hurry.) i now have 265/74 r16 BFG AT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: