NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

manual conversion help please.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warbo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:14    Post subject: manual conversion help please. Reply with quote

Apart from cost and finding parts, can anyone tell me of any major problems fitting a manual box into an auto vx 100.  would the transfer box from the auto go straight onto the manual box? Are all vx's diff ratio's and transfer box ratio's the same, manual or auto?  I read somewhere you need to change the ECU from the auto to one from a manual, don't understand this cos I'm not touching the engine.  Any help would be great, as I can't find a manual vx anywhere.(Apart from damaged ones) My budget is to buy a good auto, 7 or 8k, and then do conversion.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

The diff ratios will be different and the prop shafts will be different lengths. The change of ECU may be because the engine ECU will be expecting to see data from the gearbox ECU to drop power slightly across gear changes. AFAIK the transfer box is the same.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Warbo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, thanks for that, sounds a bit more involved then I was hoping it would be.
Warbo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 23:30    Post subject: auto conversion Reply with quote

Thinking about your last post.  I wonder then what would happen if someone where to unplug gearbox ECU (didn't realise it had one but anyway) then in theory you should be stuck in same gear, which would be fine.  I'll have to get some data on diff ratio's, weather auto is higher or lower then manual.
100 TD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC (but i'll have to check) the transmission ecu is in the same box as the engine ecu, ie. the same ecu. (2003)
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, why do you want to go to a manual?

Is there anything specific that you don't like about the Auto?

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
Warbo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:26    Post subject: auto conversion. Reply with quote

Ye, problem with auto is it will change gear for me!  I'm used to changing 18 gears really. Personnal choice I guess. Having trouble finding VX manual 100.  There is a few 80's about, but I fancy the newer shape, and hence prepared to do the work if it is possible.  I did a conversion on a '92 Range Rover years ago, as well as dropping in a 6.2 chevy diesel, but that was petrol to diesel, and I had to uprate ratio's ect.  Hoping a Cruiser job would be straight forward.
suvsteve
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 15:38    Post subject: g,box Reply with quote

hi mate i think the cost in time and money would out way waiting for a non damged on to come up that is manual

as for the auto like your self arfter going up and down 18 gears all day long i like the idear of one gear point and an idoit guide
you know stop, go, p, park d, drive ohh an when there something you shouldnt go over like a house or something you have got r, for reverse to

(think thats just me that needs the idoit guide tho Rolling Eyes )

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

you have only one life, enjoy.
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that I have ever come across a manual 100 series VX in the UK - good luck with the hunt.

I would have thought that a nice lazy auto 100 series would be good relaxation after all those gears  Laughing

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an automatic diesel 100 and am happy as Larry with it. Forget changing gears. You can have some nice diff locks and a transfer box instead!

If you are feeling lazy you will probably get a cruise control as well. Mine has one and it's very nice just to steer while the car keeps the speed steady mile after mile.

Willy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 100 Series / Amazon Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: