Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Colorado using veg oil?

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave68

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 23:59    Post subject: svo Reply with quote

nice to now it is legal as you hear different stories,would be nice to get used stuff out of local chippy,even used engine oil can be used,but a bit smokey,heard a few stories about that.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 23:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Jamie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that DJR,  The future looks cheaper already...

Though I presume they stiill want you to register with them first?

Found sunflower oil in Makro Aberdeen today, £18.95 / 20L but down to £17.68 if you buy 5 or more, zero vat rated too, looks like a reasonable saving to me.  Let you know how I get on.

Jamie
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought SVO in Netto today at £1.07. Ok, not a huge saving, 23p litre over derv. I would say that if you use a tank every couple of weeks, this is not necessarily a great saving for you. But when I run up North and back, I can do 800 miles. If - and I say IF you decide that putting salad dressing in you engine is OK, then 23p saving is quite considerable on a trip like this where all you're doing is burning up mile after mile. I would be prepared to go almost full veg oil on a straight run. Again. If I got 40 mpg, I wouldn't be bothering. But at 21 towing and 27 unladen ..well.

Tesco was £3.97 for 3 litres. That's like, err, £1.32 a litre? What?? That's MORE expensive than diesel. Only a month ago it was high 90's. It's going up faster than something extracted from the ground, shipped  1/4 way across the world, refined and delivered to the pumps. What's going on. Don't tell, me - it's because of the price of fuel!

LC
KZJ90

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone installed Vegetable Oil Kit, such secondary tank, oil heater, pump and so on? How easy is it to use used (cooked) oil?
*water-intercooler + chip
*3" down pipe + exhaust
dave68

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 23:42    Post subject: veg oil Reply with quote

got to be carefull as whats in used oil,water etc,was told other day new oil not used,37 pence per ltre but only by the tonne,those 900 or 1000 ltr square containers,shared between a few guys cheaper and safer than used oil.
oleum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used straight veg oil, did anyway, for about the first year I had my colorado, then the farting around at tesco to buy 15 litre drums when the price had gone from under 50p/L to over 75p/L coupled with the pain in the *beep* fuelling up with it killed my enthusiasm. I would be interested in buying 1000L container if I could source it for anywhere under 50p a litre definitely.

I need to say I am not a mechanic or especially knowledgeble about the fuel injection systems in diesel hardware. However , before I started using veg oil I did do some research and as I am a Chemist I understand some of the problems. I would avoid (and did) sunflower oils, as they are the most unsaturated. This in all probability means they are less viscous and easier to pump (good), but under conditions in the engine, if not fully burned may cause some deposits of polymerised oil. It is likely to deposit on cooler parts, perhaps fuel injectors?. Less unsaturated veg oils like rapeseed oil were what I used , cheaper and less likely to cause this.

I used to run anything from 60:40 diesel:veg oil in the winter to 25:75 diesel:veg oil in the summer. The only real difference I noticed was that the engine ran a bit quieter/smoother with the veg oil mixtures.

I looked into biodiesel production (even considered starting a business making it), the process is fairly straightforward but I didn't fancy having the large quantities of flammable/toxic chemicals needed sitting round in a residential garage. There are also waste products to get rid of (specifically, glycerol)and this would have been another headache. Earlier in this thread someone said that glcerol had to be removed from SVO. In actual fact it is not produced until the reaction that converts oil to biodiesel is carried out. So it cant be "separated" as its not something mixed in with SVO.

Anyway, I will use it again, keep an eye on my engine oil after readiong the sticky thread, and hope someone can tell me where to buy oil at 37p/L. With falling prices AT THE MOMENT its hardly worth the hassle to me at a difference of 20p/L but I have no doubt that it will become economic again.

As an aside, I wonder how many people are using or have tried central heating oil in their diesel vehicles. I looked at the specs and it seems like it should run fine, just like paraffin heater oil (perhaps the same thing).
oleum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

As noone replied, I did some research myself. The current (as of today) price for a 1000L of veg oil (SVO, I was told it is rapeseed oil) is £729 for 1000L from KTC (Edibles) Ltd from Wednesbury in the West Midlands. There are a couple of other expenses to think about too. The IBC container it comes in is an exchange item and unless you order regularly, which you won't unless you have several people using one delivery, you will have to buy this, they said about £75.

So the outlay is 729x2 +75 +75 = £ 1608 for 2000 litres of oil which is 440 gallons. This will last about 9000 miles - a year for me, but I run about 50:50 so that'd be 2 years. Assuming diesel is an average of 1.10 a litre over that time thats another £2200.

Total cost is £3800 give or take for 18000 miles. If I use plain old diesel from the pump at £1.10 a litre it would cost £4400 so over 2 years I save £600 or £25 a month.

Is it worth the bother? And bear in mind I'd have to store 2 bloody great containers for the next 2 years and find a way of pumping measured amounts into my tank.

Now the cost of diesel *might* rocket in this time period, but at the moment it has stabilised. If we hit £1.30 again, I will reconsider. In fact I am considering buying a petrol LC and converting it to LPG. The outlay is about the same  - perhaps less - and you start paying about 60p a litre from day 1. Or will the greedy bstards in the government start seeing this as a place to start raising tax too? That thought is the only one stopping me.
KZJ90

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why you don“t trust WVO, everyone seems to buy expensive new oil...

I am thinking to drive with WVO/diesel mixture, about 20/80%. And the used oil I am getting, is frying oil, there is animal fat too. But it seems to settle down within few weeks.

I know:
-I have to be sure there is no water in it
-I need to pump it trough good filters: 80µ-20µ-5µ-1µ and 0.5µ
-I need to change motor oil every 5000 km
-fuel heater is recommended, necessary at winter time

What else should I know?

Do you guys have any fuel heater if you drive with veg oil mixture?
*3" down pipe + exhaust
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KZ. Good to hear from you. Hope that lovely truck of yours is still looking fine. I didn't use a heater with my mix. I have had no issues other than the smell of chips cooking. I took a bottle and mixed SVO with diesel and stuck it in the fridge for a couple of days. There was no separation nor waxing at all. There are those who have two tanks and a run down and start up cycle along with a heater. I think that this is necessary for a modern engine

My conclusion is that in an old truck with a chunk of an engine like the 1KZ it'll run on just about anything if you need it too. Of course if you fill it with WVO full of scraps, it may not go twice around the world without coughing. We've been around -4 just recently and mine has started first touch with derv and SVO. Thing is that with heavy oil now dipping below the £1 / lit today, SVO is actually considerably more expensive for once and it makes no sense. I'm finding that suddenly WVO is harder to come by. People have got wise and are buying it up commercially for reuse as fuel.

LC
KZJ90

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Hi KZ. Good to hear from you. Hope that lovely truck of yours is still looking fine. I didn't use a heater with my mix. I have had no issues other than the smell of chips cooking. I took a bottle and mixed SVO with diesel and stuck it in the fridge for a couple of days. There was no separation nor waxing at all. There are those who have two tanks and a run down and start up cycle along with a heater. I think that this is necessary for a modern engine

My conclusion is that in an old truck with a chunk of an engine like the 1KZ it'll run on just about anything if you need it too. Of course if you fill it with WVO full of scraps, it may not go twice around the world without coughing. We've been around -4 just recently and mine has started first touch with derv and SVO. Thing is that with heavy oil now dipping below the £1 / lit today, SVO is actually considerably more expensive for once and it makes no sense. I'm finding that suddenly WVO is harder to come by. People have got wise and are buying it up commercially for reuse as fuel.

LC

Hi LC. Nice to chat again. My truck is fine, now with 285/75R16 studded winter tires. Love it. Here is now snowing and -3C. I like. santa

Couple questions to you:
What blend have you drove? Have you noticed any motor oil polymerisation? What“s the main reason why you don“t use WVO?

P.S. Just bought this from e bay.de: http://www.bilderhosting.info/92862.jpg
*3" down pipe + exhaust
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strongest blend that I have used has been 50/50. Certainly haven't noticed any difference in the oil to be honest. The reason that I don't use WVO is A) I can't get any and B) I don't have any way to clean it up. It does need basic filtration and heating to remove water etc. There are some products that need to be removed, although I know that it will run on it straight from the barrel, I am not prepared to do that as I am convinced that from what I read it WILL cause some damage  / issues etc due to fat content from sausages being cooked in it etc. I like the kit that you have there, but until I can get a bigger garage, I have no space for a bio fuel kit. Are you suggesting that you can take WVA and put it through that and it will do EVERYTHING to make it usable?

LC
oleum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondered if anyone is currently using SVO and has a recommendation for where to buy. The old thread here mentions Costco and Bookers. Anyone with a card able to tell me what the prices are for either of these.
blackdog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

oleum wrote:
Wondered if anyone is currently using SVO and has a recommendation for where to buy. The old thread here mentions Costco and Bookers. Anyone with a card able to tell me what the prices are for either of these.

Costco is 70.9 p per litre
oleum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice so thats around 50p a litre cheaper than derv. I can buy just 60l and get back the cost of membership. It looks like I might be doing a run to the nearest one at the weekend and buying a couple of hundred litres. Smile

I have done maybe 10k on veg oil in my LC90 1KZ-TE engine out of the 30k total. It looks like she'll be smelling of a chip van again until the prices drop or I can get a biodiesel making setup underway.
seph234
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackdog wrote:
oleum wrote:

Costco is 70.9 p per litre

Yes same price as makro at ther mo.

Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: