2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

help with fj45 locking differentials

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyo1234567

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:51    Post subject: help with fj45 locking differentials Reply with quote

hi i am looking to put hj 80 locking differentials in me fj 45 and wood like to now if it is possabull and wood like to no were to get them and wot cost thanks a lot Tony
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won't fit, the 45 axles are not the same.

You could fit 80 series axles to the 45 but they will need modification as the 45 is a lot narrower.
rodger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

At various times I've looked at putting diff locks on my 40 and have come to the conclusion that I'd have to use Ez-Locker or LockRight kits. There is a detailed fitted explanation at www.ih8mud.com/tech/woody/ez-lock.html. I think that ARB(?) do a difflock kit as well, but so far I've not been able to get the pennies together yet but give it time...

Regards,
Rodger
BJ40 with HJ60 running gear
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually now your question was quite timely. Just received my copy of 4WD Toyota Owner from the US and there is an article about an FJ45 / FJ80 hybrid. a guy has actually taken a complete FJ80 Chassis and fitted and FJ45 body and pickup bed on it. Pickup body was shortened to take advantage of the better departure angle with the coil springs. Also the body tub was chanelled over the 80 series chassis (an old hot rod trick). The 80 series axles fitted however the guy widened the fenders by making tubed extensions to cover the increased track width.

Fitted Slee +6" springs and 40 inch tyres and is probably one of the most special looking trucks I think I have ever seen. Stock FJ80 engine fitted under the bonnet of the 45 but the radiaor is moved to the pickup bed.

So saying all this, you could most likely get away with the 80 series axles under the truck however you will need to do a few things.

1. Fab up spring perches for the leaf springs as the 80 comes with coils. alternatively could do a coil conversion on the 45 chassis but it will be quite difficult to make sure you get the castor angle correct - if you mess this up it will be complete bi**h to drive and dangerous too.
2. Make the fener extensions.
3. If you want to use the factory e-lockers you will need the ECU at least and preferably part of the wiring for the lockers to make it easier to connect up.
4. If you use the factory ECU you will need to fool it that the centre diff lock is engaged otherwise the ECU won't let the lockers engage. Alternatively I guess you could do away with the inteligence of the locker ECU and just control the lockers by switches and a couple of relays.

An alternative to this route that I have heard about is that cable lockers were available as an option for the 4x trucks (and also the 6x trucks). You could see if you can source these or go for ARB diff locks. I think for the 60 series axles you have more choice, think you can get Detroit and aussie lockers for them as well. 60 Series axles are easier to fit, for a start they were on leaf springs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: