All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Home made snorkel.............

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bodywork / accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Lovely Boyo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 18:23    Post subject: Home made snorkel............. Reply with quote

Hello, (I put this up on mud too)

In the spirit of ''How the West was Won' (OK, I'm broke), I decided to make my own snorkel. I also need more air for my turbo project.

x3, 3'' dia polished aluminium tube 45deg elbows = £35

x2, 3'' dia silicon 90deg elbows = £8

some rivnuts and hose clamps = £7

Remove the air filter housing and then take the resonator and air intake out of the wing. This is what's under there - this can be done with the wing in place (you live and learn lol)

Put the wing back on and refit the airbox. One of the silicon elbows will be clamped onto this through to the wing. Work out and then drill a starter hole, and keep enlarging this until you have a nice fit for your first pipe. This was the really REALLY fun part!!!! I made and used a cardboard template to help me. Fit the elbow, paint the edge and trim with some sliced rubber hose..........

This is how it looks from the inside - I have to MIG weld a small length of angle iron in there to give it a bit of strength - I had to trim a little bit of the inner wing to get it to fit nice and snug.....

Then drill the wing for the rivnuts and set these into the wing. Drill the 45deg aly elbows and bolt into the rivnuts. Rivnuts are GREAT!!! A small straight (an off cut from the wing pipe) clamps the two elbows together - gives access to the rivnuts if I need to remove this. This is the (almost) finished snorkel (I have to make a clamp to hold the top pipe). Some clear mastik has been used to hold it as well..........

This is my favourite 'el cheapo' part of the build. The snorkel head is a silicon elbow with a ring of aly pipe inside. The mesh has been 'liberated' from my surfing bootees bag - made of nylon, then clamped in place. I now have a hole in my bootee bag lol. I was going to buy a snorkel head but we'll see (they cost almost as much as this whole build). I'm thinking I'm going to 'distort' the top pipe to provide channels to allow rain water to leak out as per Safari type heads.

The head can be spun around by loosening one screw..........

This is the view from in the cab - not much to see really. Small loss of vision over the edge of the wing but nothing too bad.

So there you go..........comments? suggestions, gales of laughter lol
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 18:23    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats brilliant that,
I wish I cold make some thing like that.
looks 100 x    better than a 'bought one.

Fancy doing mine?

'vette
toyota mad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a good tight fit, and looks the part.... very tasty DIY job   10/10 Very Happy

no hill to steep for a landcruiser
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it also because it matches my front bar !
toyota mad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkling chrome................ thumbleft

The Lovely Boyo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support guys -I'm happy with it.

Start the car, stand next to it and you can hear it breathing LMAO

With the £180 saved over a real one, I'll now be going down to the local steel stockist and getting myself a load of aluminium section and building myself an expedition roof basket. Built in light bar, jerry can holder etc etc.

That'll still leave me with about £80 to play with!

Rear tyre mount?

The list is endless..............
joinerman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks the dogs danglies, well done.
toyota mad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

you must work in the trade when your fit to do jobs likes that.... i like your style  mate thumbleft

Paul_Humphreys

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could make a lot of money selling them Wink

Paul

http://www.crag-uk.org
http://www.4x4responsewales.org
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice piece of work. The one advantage the plastic ones have IMO, which I don't think will affect you, is flexibility. Mine has been bent out of shape like you wouldn't believe squeezing past trees occasionaly but you may not be getting that intimate with them  Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
The Lovely Boyo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul_Humphreys wrote:
You could make a lot of money selling them Wink

Paul

Nah, not my way. But now the difficult first cut has been made, I would happily take detailed measurements for others to use. Maybe even get some custom mandrel bending done..............but that takes it away from the original 'lo cost but not rubbish' - I do have to drive this thing around after all lol

If it does get bashed - and yeah this thing goes off piste - being ally it'll bend. Smack it with a stick to straighten! Ally elbows are £12

Oh, I don't work in the trade. But being an ex toolmaker I'm used to working with metal and to tight tolerances (retentive in other words).
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're one clever mudda ducker aren't you Boyo  Razz  Lovin' your work so far - keep it up.

Quick question, can you get that aluminium in matt black finish??

Hmmm...
aroscow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI there

Nice job

Where did you get the alu pipe from?
dhula

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a very neet looking job well done.

have you considered use a snorkel head from someone like safari

might stop the wombats from getting into the snorkel and slowing the air flow a bit Smile and will help keep rain water out of the air filter also

They do sell em separately here in Oz and go up to 3 inch pipe. duno if they do the same in UK tho.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep you can get them from flea-bay here - expensive though.  Might want to go for a Donaldson TopSpin instead?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bodywork / accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: