Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Tyre fitment to 1993 4.2td 80 series

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timothystuartdennis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 22:52    Post subject: Tyre fitment to 1993 4.2td 80 series Reply with quote

Hello, i have 275/70/R16 tyres on my land cruiser, enduro on the back from www.4x4accessoriesandtyres.com £55 each plus vat they are 6 ply and very hard wearing and cheap, but i'm not happy with the grip.
The front has maxis 751's light truck 8 ply realy good grip and strong..
What i would like to know is what are the best tyres to fit, i do very high milages into europe and eastern europe, and tow for most of this milage i have used michelin on former nissans but they are very expensive,, also will larger 285's fit i think 285/75/R16 i think i was quoted for. I would prefer 8 ply as i can run at higher pressures for towing and they are stronger. from Tim Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 22:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DaveN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can fit 285/75's without problems. I have a 2" lift and have had no rubbing using the existing bumpstops. But don't forget they'll increase the overall gearing.

Best tyres I've had have always been BF Goodrich. AT's are good for general stuff and I swapped mine at 40K miles still with plenty of tread for MT's.

Don't know what all that 6/8 ply stuff is, doesn't that only apply to cross ply tyres used on trucks and old cars?
timothystuartdennis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveN wrote:
You can fit 285/75's without problems. I have a 2" lift and have had no rubbing using the existing bumpstops. But don't forget they'll increase the overall gearing.

Best tyres I've had have always been BF Goodrich. AT's are good for general stuff and I swapped mine at 40K miles still with plenty of tread for MT's.

Don't know what all that 6/8 ply stuff is, doesn't that only apply to cross ply tyres used on trucks and old cars?
Thanks for that Dave,, So if i fit the 285/75/R16's will it make my gearing way out for towing or do you think it will manage?
PLY RATINGS,, 6ply or 5ply is the usual on 4x4 tyres its the amount of layers on the tyre, the more layers the stonger the tyres, the advantage is that more wieght can be put on the tyre, and more pressure put into the tyre, my fronts are Maxxis tyres MA 751 max load 3305lbs psi inflation 65 go to www.maxxis.com. Smile
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim

I am not going into 6 or 8 ply tyres, but why not just try 285/70/16 then you won't need to change any gearing !

Look at this link and it will show the tyre aspect ratio's

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

Steve
DaveN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much weight are you putting on it? The MGW is something like 3000kg, which is about 7000lb. Divide by 4 equals max load per tyre of 1800lb/tyre, so in theory pretty much whatever you fit will have enough load rating.
Sarmajor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:57    Post subject: 285/75R16 Reply with quote

I have BFG 285/75R16 mtr on my 93 80 series cruiser. They have lasted great and currently have in excess of 50,000km on them and still have 30% tread left. Getting a bit stufed now for mud plgging but stil great n the road.
Speedo reads 100kmhr and GPS indicates 104kmhr so the gearing is not wildly wrong either.
timothystuartdennis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveN wrote:
How much weight are you putting on it? The MGW is something like 3000kg, which is about 7000lb. Divide by 4 equals max load per tyre of 1800lb/tyre, so in theory pretty much whatever you fit will have enough load rating.
Thankyou for repleying, I have a expedition roof rack which i put a 15ft dinghy on, with all other gear the cruser must be over 3 tons then connect a trailer with six 15ft boats on 3 decks with gear and masts, their is more than usual nose wieght on my rear axle to allow for anti snaking as the total trailer lengh with overhang is 10m my overall shipping lengh is 16m longer than an artic. i use the heavy duty tyres to disperse heat as the run cooler. Ok i may be running over weight but she is coping fine. My collueges are using yank v8 units.
timothystuartdennis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:28    Post subject: Re: 285/75R16 Reply with quote

Sarmajor wrote:
I have BFG 285/75R16 mtr on my 93 80 series cruiser. They have lasted great and currently have in excess of 50,000km on them and still have 30% tread left. Getting a bit stufed now for mud plgging but stil great n the road.
Speedo reads 100kmhr and GPS indicates 104kmhr so the gearing is not wildly wrong either.
Thankyou for your reply, I may fit these. thanks from tim
500SEC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just fitted five Falkens all terrains. A popular brand in Australia. 85 pounds each. I used them in Australia on my Ford Falcon with great success. On the TLC, I have standard size. These replaced big BFG's which were noisy and uncomfortable. I recommend don't go large, esp if you're doing lots of motorway miles in Europe. Big tyres cause long term wear in other places esp on TLCs. I just returned from a Europe trip including Poland and CZ. The Falkens were terrific. Returned fantastic fuel economy. Low noise. Look great. Plenty of grip for mud. My ten cents.

1986 Mercedes 500SEC
1996 TLC 4.2 GS TD
2006 Ford Falcon ute
Hilux

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Falkens all terrains

Ditto

Highly recommended
Towpack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some of these on the front,fitted by the vehicle seller,for the last 5000m and I'm well pleased with them.They have good grip,are wearing well and you can get them for £80 fitted.They may be classed as 'Budget' tyres but budget doesn't have to mean *beep*.I'm about to get 2 more to replace the Generals on the back.

http://www.gititire.com/tiredetail.asp?tireid=149&brand=RUNWAY&language=1

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: