NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Stiff Gearchange

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkking

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:12    Post subject: Stiff Gearchange Reply with quote

I have recently acquired a 1990 SWB LJ70 manual
When the temperature drops the gearchange from 1st to 2nd is really stiff for the first few minutes. Until the oil gets warmed up a little.
Apparently this is a common problem!
Does anyone know of a simple cure, perhaps a different grade of oil?

I didn't get a handbook with the vehicle so I don't know what oils I should be using in any part of the transmission.
Any help would be appreciated.

According to the VIN plate The Model No is LJ70 RV
and the gearbox is (I think) 150 F

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know about yours specifically but all the larger landcruisers behave like this.If it was easy when cold it would be sloppy when warmed up. You could consider your box good if its nothing to do with selectors or synchroes.
I think your gearbox/diffs are similar to a hilux.
A change of oil might make a slight difference but for a few minutes and the risk of using a thinner oil I would leave it. Double clutching helps
Aged William

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - have to agree with ROSCO here Very Happy - I have '91 4.2 VX manual and a '96 LPG bi fuel 4.5 ( auto ). The Diesel is a begger in the mornings - but with over 130K on the clock I 'll forgive her. It's true that this only occures for the first 5 mins or so from cold - then loosens up fine .... strange Eh ?

AW
Simmo

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 21:10    Post subject: Stiff Gears when cold Reply with quote

I had this problem just after I changed all the fluids. I put Hypiod 80/90 in the box as per service book a few days later. I found that first thing in the morning when the box was cold I got stiff gears. I put normal engine oil in the box and that sorted the problem.

Keith [/b]
Mike Williams

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tend to agree with using the 80/90 oil. as too thin would result in extra wear, and a gearbox is not cheap, have you tried molyslip or similar, it will at least reduce the wear factor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: