4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

What CB?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Radio communications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graham Smith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 13:37    Post subject: What CB? Reply with quote

Hi

I Know nothing about this subject... so any advice will be appreciated.

I am thinking about buying an in-car CB.

The range is huge... so what would you recommend.

The use will be pretty much for green-laning, however I would like a slightly longer range when I go overlanding again???

What are your thought?

Thanks

www.sfo.me.uk

"Miranda":- 1994 HDJ80, Allisport Intercooler, Warn winch, ARB bullbar, OME suspension 6cm lift, Long Range tank, TJM Spare Wheel Carrier

"Dessie": Desert Wolf Lynx off-road trailer
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 13:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

tlocuk
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham ...

take a look HERE

Jim will give you great, impartial advice and the best price he can Wink

Simon

Paul_Humphreys

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot will depend on what you want to spend? Present Walker are good, but cost most , a good mid-range Midland will do for most people. One thing I will say is go for a good arieal and not one of the cheap ones. Also you will need a SWR meter when you fit it.

I find Doug at http://www.kcb.co.uk to be quite good. (I am only a customer of them).

Paul

http://www.crag-uk.org
http://www.4x4responsewales.org
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 20:15    Post subject: CB Reply with quote

I bought both of my Maycom CBs from Knights (KCB). They do know they stuff. You really don't need to spend a vast amount. A standard CB is restricted to 4 watts output, no matter how much you spend. I have a 50 watt amp on mine which really helps to punch through trees etc. Get a decent mike that will take being dropped and bashed against the transmission tunnel! Cheaper sets do have cheaper mikes. Amps are 'illegal' but a 50 watt of road is not going to harm anyone. There are guys with 1000 watt burners who just key over everyone for miles and miles, tying up channel 19 all day long. Some idiots just play silly music too. If you have someone like this near you, you'll need a bit more power to get through to someone even quite close. £70 really should get you a set, plus a mount and an aerial.

LC
m0jpm

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 15:22    Post subject: Ham Radio Supplies Reply with quote

We from Ham Radio Supplies are authorised Midland and TTI dealer. Fully Licenced radio Amateur, true expert advice. We supply CB and Ham radio, antenna's Mini stinger from £9.95,  mounts From £6.99, visit our website http://www.uk4x4centre.co.uk or if you are local to us our shop address is  5 Balfour street Runcorn Cheshire wa7 4ph 01928-560064

Last edited by m0jpm on Sun May 31, 2009 9:07; edited 3 times in total
Paul_Humphreys

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 21:30    Post subject: Re: Ham Radio Supplies Reply with quote

m0jpm wrote:
We from Ham Radio Supplies are authorised Midland dealer, We supply CB and Ham radio, antenna's Mini stinger from £9.95, gutter mounts From £6.99, visit our website hamradiosupplies.eu or if you are local to us Ham Radio Supplies, 5 Balfour street Runcorn Cheshire wa7 4ph 01928-560064

AHHH you must be the "new" place I was told about at the weekend.

Do you do bits for a Maycom hand held cb? I need a rechargeable battery pack and car charger?

Paul

http://www.crag-uk.org
http://www.4x4responsewales.org
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaarrggghhhh!!!   Laughing  Laughing  Twisted Evil  Shocked

This is SO confusing!!!!  I'm used to either a 29MHz or VHF (or both) radios in the vehicle - now I have to get a CB for all UK and European travel - that's fine.  But what a choice!!  I thought choosing my tyres was a mission - this'll give me more grey hair, and I have enough of that already!!

So - help, please - what's the 'best' all-round performer currently?  Not looking to spend much more than £100 on radio, aerial and mount (package).  There are a number of sites, but the plethora of units is amazing!!  I don't want a PA function (you haven't heard my singing - believe me, you don't want to  Wink ) but I think I need some kind of digital voice processor and a small chassis with a few features - not enough to distract, but some so that you can get the best bang-for-buck, really.  I'm familiar with gain and squelch, and want to be able to transmit and receive clearly - what else is there??

Any suggestions on what unit to get?  It's going to be mounted on the side of the centre console, I suspect (nowhere else really, without doing a chop-job just now).

Thanks, folks!
Ecky Thump
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
 I don't want a PA function

I was in the same position as you and was advised by a Landrover off roader that a PA can be very useful, when you are in the driving seat and someone outside is operating a winch. The rig i'm getting has a PA facility for that reason.

The rig is an Intek M-490 which is not as easy to use as some Midland rigs but is supposed to be very robust.

I'll let you know if I manage to break it.
1997 auto petrol 80 (for Er'in'doors)
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers.  That's one of the units on my list (of 7 !!) so I'm trying to whittle them down.  And I suppose if you're in a LR then there'll always be someone at the winch  Twisted Evil  Razz

I suppose you could always mount a remote speaker in the engine bay (suitably waterproofed for some people  Wink ) to allow you to shout at the winch driver.  Can you imagine the effect on pedestrians who are jay-walking  Laughing  Laughing   'Move along there, you dolt!!'  Good for a giggle, though!  

Does make sense, then - and as an hydraulic winch is on the long-term shopping list, I might go that route too.

Whatever I do has to be done before Elcomb, though!!

Cheers
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you find a supplier you like the look / sound of and let them tell you what they have the least trouble with in your price range and go with that. While it's true they're all limited to 4 watts there can be differences in the quality of modulation and signal output so although spending more doesn't guarentee better quality there is scope for one being better than another without boots. Most of us on here will have quite limited experience of the different models compared to a supplier. Get a decent antenna or accept your range will be compromised and live with it. The Sirio Hi-Power 4000PL  survived my 80's excursions and seems to out perform all others but it's not a discreet antenna.

Don't over think it, it's only CB Very Happy

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
smokeyjoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

my personal fav is the president walker. I have had many cb's over the last 30 years & it is one of the better ones.
Midlands dont seem seem to be as good as they used to be. Not impressed with the intecs for various reasons. Dont even mention the team units!

If you want bog basic, go for the midland 38. If you want something with a decent receiver (most of the modern units seem a bit 'deaf')  that seems slightly better made, go for the president walker.

Spend most of your time & money on the aerial & mount. Gutter mounts will fall off. Springers will get caught in branches.

The best cb aerial in the world ( in my book) is the modulator. No longer made but there is a guy selling them on e bay. My last one give me 15 years good service till it got killed by a very low tree.   A modulator will give far better swr across the 80 channels that any springer ever will. Try to mount it in the middle of the roof if poss for both performance & protection.

I'm not selling anything or recomending any suppliers, just a bit of a brain dump based on 30 odd years of CBing
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly at the cheaper end, they are pretty much the same. The way we use them - ie in a convoy, you could make do with bean tins and string. If you are crossing a desert, then forget CB anyway, you need VHF.

A carboot CB will probably do you. OK, spend a little more for a shiny one, but my advice would be to go to a shop that can set it up for you if you don't know how to. Or bring it to Lincomb and we'll help you. You need to understand things like groundplane and SWR. You have to tune your aerial into your CB to make sure that all the 'goodness' leaves the aerial and isn't reflected back into the CB.

It's not rocket engineering, but done right you will squeeze the best of your set. Done wrongly and the front of the convoy won't hear you from the back!

LC
Towpack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's loads of CB stuff on e bay these days. Went to buy some coax for my Ham radio from a local supplier recently and he said CB was dying. I guess the advent of cheap mobile phones for all must have something to do with it.

Must reiterate what's been said about the antenna and mount. The best rig in the world will be next to useless with a c**p or poorly setup antenna.

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
Ecky Thump
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towpack wrote:
There's loads of CB stuff on e bay these days. Went to buy some coax for my Ham radio from a local supplier recently and he said CB was dying. I guess the advent of cheap mobile phones for all must have something to do with it.

Must reiterate what's been said about the antenna and mount. The best rig in the world will be next to useless with a c**p or poorly setup antenna.

If you don't mind Towpack, I may come back to you later for advice. I'm having major problems setting mine up but I have a fix in mind before I panic.
Ecky Thump
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panic over.

The brand new dome mount I had was shorted to earth.

New Intek M495 (not 490 as I said earlier) is fitted and works perfectly on a ten year old aerial I found in the shed.

All ready to go and play now. Not many people to talk to round here but I would imagine Lincomb farm will be a good test.

Bought the rig from these guys on fleabay;  a1truckstuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Radio communications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: