2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Diff Lock does not seem to lock in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sid1789

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:47    Post subject: Diff Lock does not seem to lock in Reply with quote

Since I drove in the snow last winter every time I try to change the difflock setting in High gear the difflock indicator does not stop flashing (i.e it does not lock in) any ideas?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which diff lock are we talking about, presumably the centre one but maybe you are talking the front or rear one?.
sid1789

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry wasn't very descriptive. I'm not too sure actually but its the switch on the left of the steering column which you push and rotate clockwise. I believe there are 2 settings, and in High gear ratio neither seems to lock in anymore which they did before (the first setting only has one piccie on the dashboard and the second has two) Whichever I select the icon in the dashboard remains flashing which indicates it has not locked in. I'll double check tonight to make sure I'm not talking rubbish.
Towpack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the centre diff is actually locking first as the axle diffs won't lock until it has.I found the easiest way to check all the diff locks is to put one end up on axle stands and jack up the other end (all 4 wheels off the floor),release the handbrake then without starting the engine,turn on the ignition,engage each diff lock in turn and just spin the wheels by hand.You'll hear an audible click when/if the diff locks engage and the corresponding warning lamp will illuminate.

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
500SEC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might need to coax them into locking by driving on gravel and doing some light turns. I had the same problem presumably through lack of use, but now they engage reasonably quickly.

1986 Mercedes 500SEC
1996 TLC 4.2 GS TD
2006 Ford Falcon ute
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok in high gear they won't work as the centre diff lock is not activated. If they worked before then the diff lock ECU is playing up - or you have a centre diff lock switch that allows you to lock the centre diff in high. On mine I fitted a centre diff lock switch which allows operation of the centre diff and thus operation of front and rear diffs in high position on the transfer case, normally you cannot use them in high as the centre diff lock only engages in Low ratio and the diff lock ECU won't allow the front and rear diff locks without the centre locked.
sid1789

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. It did work before in high and maybe that was due to a fault in the ECU. It works fine in Low gear. I'll try all the suggestions including jacking it up this weekend. Again thanks for all the input Very Happy
DaveO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other real possibility is that the servo motor is full of mud/slush/sand/salt. Check to see if your getting the proper signal to the diff lock motors, and if they are sending back a locked signal.

Determine from there if its a siezed motor, poor connection, no /low power to the motor, poor earth return, or incorrect status signal.

Start with the back diff, then do the front one.

All this presupposes that the centre diff is locked.
View user's profile Send personal message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: