Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Radiator leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
500SEC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:56    Post subject: Radiator leak Reply with quote

Looks like I could be due for a new radiator. A leak appeared visible yesterday, and I have found it necessary to refill the expansion tank several times over the last few weeks. The temp guage has not risen abnornally.

A new radiator from toyota costs £362. From Milners it's 268 delivered (inc VAT). Does anybody know if any other sources, or able to vouch for the quality of the Milner product ?

I am guessing it's an easy self-install job. Toyota wanted to charge three hours @ £106 - I laughed at them.

1986 Mercedes 500SEC
1996 TLC 4.2 GS TD
2006 Ford Falcon ute
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Towpack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not get it reconditioned?You can probably get it done for less than half the price of a new one.I've had it done twice on previous vehicles and they come back as good as new.

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
DaveN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mine rebuilt, but after 3 goes it still leaked. In the end I just went to Toyota and got a new one. You get a 3 year warranty on it, and you know the auto-cooling lines that run in the bottom are in good condition and clean. If one of them corrodes, you write off the transmission.

It's a bit of a pig to get out as you need to remove the batteries (which screwed up my alarm ecu). After doing mine 3 times, I made a cutout in the battery boxes to save taking out the batteries, and also cut the fan shroud in half so it could just be lifted out.

Mine was about £550 incl vat, so maybe they've dropped their prices?
500SEC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Milners radiator fitted. Job took 4-5 hours, mostly spent removing batteries, battery trays, fan shroud and fan. Removal of radiator fairly straightforward. Replacement item slipped in perfectly.

Also replaced Thermostat today. Engine was taking ages to get warm. Can confirm improvement (or not) over next few days. Replacing thermostat was made easier by removing the wide rubber hoses that lead to the air filter. Why so wide ?? I'm presuming they feed lots of air to the turbo. Looked oily on the inside. Rubber is looking aged. Tempted to replace these with new items. Replacement items from Toyota cost £100. What do people think?

What do I do with the old radiator (original Toyota unit) ? It needs reconditioning because it leaks. Is there any market value for it ?

1986 Mercedes 500SEC
1996 TLC 4.2 GS TD
2006 Ford Falcon ute
DaveN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

After cutting the fan shroud on half, and making cutouts inthe battery boxes, I could do mine in about 15 minutes.
500SEC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll need to try harder next time.

1986 Mercedes 500SEC
1996 TLC 4.2 GS TD
2006 Ford Falcon ute
DaveN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, all being well, you won't have to.

If I'd gone the sensible route and bought new, I wouldn't have had the practice.

Did you have any alarm problems? I had to spend another £60 on the ECU when I disconnected the batteries.
500SEC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the first battery, and sat it on the ground, then connected jump leads to it. Then I removed the second battery while power was supplied by the first battery.

So far the installation has been ok... no leaks detected yet.

I also replaced the thermostat because the TLC was taking ages to warm up. New thermostat has made no difference. My Merc is up to 40 degrees in minutes, the 80 in ten minutes. The TLC takes a good 20 minutes to get warmed up. Is this a diesel trait ?

1986 Mercedes 500SEC
1996 TLC 4.2 GS TD
2006 Ford Falcon ute
DaveN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wished I'd done the battery trick, would have saved me a lot of hassle.

I think they're all slow to warm up, certainly mine is, and always has been.

I remember when my heater matrix broke, and I couldn't find a leak, so suspected the head gasket. I started it from cold, and stuck a block tester in the header tank. After 1/2 hour waiting for it to warm up on a fast tickover (using the hand throttle on the dash), I gave up as the needle had hardly moved. The climate control switches on after about 1.5 miles, but it's probably about 5/6 miles before the needle really starts moving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 80 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: