All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Morocco and the Sahara

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
24Seven

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 19:28    Post subject: Morocco and the Sahara Reply with quote

Got back on Saturday night from a four week trip to Morocco. Loved the place, loved the people the views and offroading were fantastic. So many tales to tell and I'm counting the days until next year for a return trip, we did around 2,000 miles traveling around Morocco + another 1,300 ish crossing Spain and back. The LC never let me down throughout Smile Best day / night for me was at Saids place, I guy we meet when a repair was required to one of the Landrovers roof racks, we were spoiled with a great meal and breakfast in the morning. Best traveling day was in the desert near the Agerian border when we were treated to the most spectual view of a plain which seemed to go on for miles. (loads of 105's in Morocco BTW earning their owners a living) Many thanks go to another forum member who planned the whole trip in detail Smile

The Man himself "Said" if you go to Morocco and don't spend a night at Said's you're missing out www.lesjardinsdetazzarine.com

This picture really does no justice to the view.

Any Questions just ask, link to photos below.

Link

Last edited by 24Seven on Thu May 21, 2009 20:28; edited 1 time in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 19:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Ecky Thump
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously jealous 24Seven.

There are some cracking photos there.

Me 'n' Tommo are planning to go 2012/13 so we will probably have loads of questions.
1997 auto petrol 80 (for Er'in'doors)
24Seven

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 20:22    Post subject: Re: Morocco and the Sahara Reply with quote

Do go, it's not really that expensive for a four week trip, ferry costs make up the main cost, fuel, food and camping on sites is much cheaper than the UK, temp was high 30's to I guess lower 40's in th desert but you get used to it. Wild camping is mainly easy and stress free.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fantastic ! Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

What was your route?

What was the time scale for getting down to Morrocco?

'vette
Paul_Humphreys

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures look great Cool

Paul

http://www.crag-uk.org
http://www.4x4responsewales.org
24Seven

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did Portsmouth to Bilbao, then Algeciras to Ceuta. Ferry costs return, around £450 and then £230 to Morocco.

Fuel costs Around
Spain 88p per L
Ceuta 66p per L
Morocco 74p per L

Campsites if not wild camping

Spain 10-20 euro's
Morocco £4 per night
Bread is 15p a loaf in Morocco

Fuel on road around 27 MPG and offroad far less around 20 maybe even lower in the soft stuff (Auto non 4D-D) Getting fuel was never a problem, I'm guessing even a 200 mile range would be enough. (Plus a safety margin Wink )

Went with four others, one person per car, slept inside the car every night.

We did Spain in a day both ways, about 600 miles ish, it's not as bad as it sounds, roads are all dual carrageway and very quiet compared to the UK
24Seven

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul_Humphreys wrote:
The pictures look great Cool

Paul

Paul

Thanks very much for your help during the trip Smile

Think you were shocked by the call though Laughing
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a fantastic trip. What do you think of your Oz tent now you've used it in anger?

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
24Seven

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:
Looks like a fantastic trip. What do you think of your Oz tent now you've used it in anger?

Very nice tent, very quick to put up and pack away but I hardly used it only 3 times it went up in four weeks. I'm going to keep it though for other trips when maybe I'm not alone in the car and need more sleeping room.
Tommo&Claire
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a trick to sleeping in a 90??  i've heard stories about the seats folding flat to make a bed etc but have never manged to configure it in mine?

2002 95 Series LC 3.0D4D, Grabber AT2s, Safari Snorkel.
1998 90 Series LC 3.0TD for Mrs T
2007 Rottweiler.
24Seven

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommo&Claire wrote:
Is there a trick to sleeping in a 90??  i've heard stories about the seats folding flat to make a bed etc but have never manged to configure it in mine?

Bar the front two seat I took all mine out (to save weight if nothing else) and with outback drawers I made an extension to one side and bought an Argos shorty sprung mattress, it was more comfy than at home and good sleep is very important and should not be under estimated Very Happy  but you can make a bed out of the standard 7-8 seat set up and then put some foam on top to take out some of the seat shapes (slept before like that in the 90 and it was ok) it tells you in the owners manual how to do it I think Smile
Tommo&Claire
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnx

2002 95 Series LC 3.0D4D, Grabber AT2s, Safari Snorkel.
1998 90 Series LC 3.0TD for Mrs T
2007 Rottweiler.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

24Seven wrote:
Very nice tent, very quick to put up and pack away but I hardly used it only 3 times it went up in four weeks. I'm going to keep it though for other trips when maybe I'm not alone in the car and need more sleeping room.
Thanks. I'd read of a few people finding they weren't as easy to put up and down as they'd expected but then I wasn't sure if that was down to the operators or the tents  Wink

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
busaboy

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went down the roof tent route but changed for an oztent and never looked back.
Does take a little practice but you're welcome to see mine if you want as you're not a million miles away from me.
24Seven

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:
24Seven wrote:
Thanks. I'd read of a few people finding they weren't as easy to put up and down as they'd expected but then I wasn't sure if that was down to the operators or the tents  Wink

I cannot think of anything that would be more easy, it really is a 30 second tent to at least get the main tent erected, you still need to peg out as any other but everything is very well thought about, the guy ropes live on small pockets on the tent for example.

The only down side bar the cost is the length of the packed item, not really a problem for me in a LWB but I could see the draw backs for others, I guess a roof rack would be ideal but I like to pack light. The packed tent just enteried the front seat area between the seats and sat on the centre consol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: