4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Guys, Check this out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 22:55    Post subject: Guys, Check this out Reply with quote

Guys, was looking for a rifle rack and have had good service from Target Sports of Bolton. But look what I found. Rear drawers for an SUV. Ok, maybe not perfect, but I bet they stack and £199 - yes £199 quid! Blimey, that has to be a starter for ten.  Not sure how the sizes work out, but two, stacked for £400? Come on. I need to look at these a bit further.

LC

http://www.targetsports.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=368&products_id=3203
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 22:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil  Evil or Very Mad , just when I thought that I might actually save some money this month  Smile , seems to be a good shop/site , way too many temptations.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not very deep and the site doesn't mention what load the runners can handle. Wouldn't you be better off spending less than that on some runners and making some drawers yourself that are exactly the size you need  Wink

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never said I was going to use them, just said - hey look at these; worth a further look. They're not long enough to get a rifle in. So no good for me. But for plates and cups, cheaper than £1200!

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did get an order out of me for something else though so they should pay you some commision  Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Never said I was going to use them, just said - hey look at these; worth a further look. They're not long enough to get a rifle in. So no good for me. But for plates and cups, cheaper than £1200!

LC

I don't see much wrong with them for that price.

£199 is a steal,

Like you said, stack 2, maybe 3 high.  Very Happy  Very Happy

10 inches high, so 3 will go in on top of each other

You could spread the weight out over all the drawers.

'vette
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll be American. probably $69.95 over there. Most of this Huntin' and Shootin' stuff from the States is good. I went over last Feb with an empty suitcase, spent 3 days filling up with whatever I could. It's all still working. These may not be like a real Aussie deal, but for those who want a mini adventure, they have to be worth a look.

Go on, what did you by, by the way?

LC
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
They'll be American. probably $69.95 over there. Most of this Huntin' and Shootin' stuff from the States is good. I went over last Feb with an empty suitcase, spent 3 days filling up with whatever I could. It's all still working. These may not be like a real Aussie deal, but for those who want a mini adventure, they have to be worth a look.

Go on, what did you by, by the way?

LC

If I can find out a source, I can get my brother in Houston to buy me some.

I was showing the wife, and she also said they looked good, not that she really knows good from bad !

'vette
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing the external and internal dimensions there's quite a lot of space lost in the structure.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be on a 100. Your boot is considerably larger than a 90, 70 etc. On yours it wouldn't even make a decent glove box.

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant it's 10" tall outside but the drawer is only 6" or so, same kind of thing for the width, that seems like a lot of lost storage space but especially on the height and then x2 or x3 if you stack them ... They're a pretty neat solution if all you need is a box but with better access than a regular box.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha.  Lot of box, but not much box. Guess it's a case of trying to make it strong and tough, but with not particularly strong materials. Still, might be an answer for someone. I'd like to see one though.

LC
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Gotcha.  Lot of box, but not much box. Guess it's a case of trying to make it strong and tough, but with not particularly strong materials. Still, might be an answer for someone. I'd like to see one though.

LC

/
/
Another possible plus point in boxes favour is the fact it might not be a heavy as a metal system, as it is pvc/plastic/composite/or whatever

'vette
Adam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although usually associated with Land Rovers, a company called Mobile Storage Systems might be worth a look at.  Their stuff is REALLY well made and built to last, which I can vouch for.
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a result of your enthusiastic comments, I contacted Mobile Storage Systems (email) and got a nice reply. This included spreadsheets (Excel) listing general 4X4 accessories and their range of drawers. These are based on the various Land Rover vehicles so if you want to fit them into an LC you have to mix and match a bit but they look like good stuff.

The prices are not dirt cheap but neither are they horrible given that the product is solid and well made. I intend to investigate further!

Looking at the drawers from Target Sports, I think I could make something similar using a sheet of plywood for about the same price or possibly less and I could make it to my requirements (size, partitioning etc.) rather than just take the 'off-the-shelf' product. Mobile Storage offers metal drawers meaning they are tougher and more secure. So it's a choice of strength and long life from them or the benefit of something made to meet my particular (peculiar?) needs if I make a set of drawers myself.

If you are in the market for similar storage facilities, the Mobile Storage Systems products will be displayed at the Land Rover Max Show at Newark Showground on the 17th-19th July and then at the Land Rover Owner Show at Peterborough Showground in September.

Alternatively you can look at their web site:

http://www.mobilestoragesystems.fsnet.co.uk/index.html

and then phone or email for details if interested.

Willy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: