NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Replace LC3/4 radio with a all in one carputer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crispin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 23:02    Post subject: Replace LC3/4 radio with a all in one carputer? Reply with quote

Folks,

I've been digging around to make a pc for the car (ask not why) and have two options: the normal second monitor bolted to a goose neck and pc under the seat or this: Replacement Carputer
It looks good. Looks like a nice clean swap. There are many advantages to having it as well as disadvantages. Lack of upgrade is the only one I can think of. Not sure by how much you would want to though.
The biggest issue is cost. Not sure how much the above same costs but similar products on KustomPC.com are going for £1300!!! Steep. This one is better as it is designed(???) for the 120. The bezel will look, assuming the mould is good, like OEM. The others are normal double DIN "radios".

Anyone tried something like this? It's a huge gamble to order 5 (minimum order)

Cheers,
Crispin
p.s.
I need 4 friends who want to replace their radio  Laughing
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 23:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Crispin,

Looks good.

Well, I am in China, and I have just asked the secretary to make a few phone calls to the company.
I asked them for 'Price and delivery for 1 unit ' to Yantai, where I am.

I will post up when she gets back to me.

'vette
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 'vette,

Thanks!! Would be interesting to see. They really do like nice in the pic, how well they work / sound / look when installed I do not know. I did email them and asked for a pic of an installed unit. If they send on I'll post it.
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

Sisley rang them up.
She actually lives in Shengzen, not far from Kong Kong, where the distributor is, and she said she would collect it, next time she go's home.

In the mean time she rang up and they quoted RNB12000

Roughly RNB12.5 = £1.00

Without a calculator, I can see that's just too expensive for me.

Here is her mail
======================================================

Hello,Graham,

Just call the salesman, Price in US & Euro, market is around USD2000 one piece. In China, Local price US1500 a piece, some discount available depends on how many your order( maybe more than 5).

Best Regards.
Sisley
www.remedialoffshore.com
Tel:86-535-6858305
Fax:86-535-6858303
- Show quoted text -

'vette
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch.....

Thanks 'vette. It is probably a bit rich for my blood as well. Imagine the other toys I could buy with that money Neutral Besides, I I did, we would be adopting our next child as my wife would rip the proverbial jewels off.

According to xe.com it is a shade of £1000 a unit.

Right - off to think about the "normal" carputer then.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Crispin,

Have a look at this thread, further down in the ICE section - I'm pretty much finished with designing what I want now, and the pricing isn't too bad:

Carputer

Cheers

GO BOKKE!!!
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary,

I have been reading that thread. I like the mount that Jon made. Have you since made a mount for yours? I was going to have a peek behind the dash this weekend and see.

As I have a lowly LC4, I do not have the Airbag warning light. It's one of the many blanking plates. (Which I will be filling with USB plugs for a phone / satnav charger but that's a different thread)

I've been looking for a while at the FitPC range. They so small you would loose it. FitPC

My "dilemma" as it were is, I don't want a PC screen and a radio. I would happily through the radio out and everything via the PC. I see Lillpad have a nice snap in double din monitor (touch) for not too much. (Cannot remember price)

It _might_ even look OEM.

I don't suppose you have thought or tried, to use the existing one you l'anies have in the LC5?

thanks for the prado point link. I had seen it but lost it.
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite solution is a motorised screen or a fitted double din but run from a Laptop with touchscreen driver and cable. That means you don't have to go messing about transferring stuff from your Laptop to the car computer, plus you can take it out.

Alternative Panasonic CF-07 Touchbook which is made to be fitted in a vehicle with a wireless touchscreen or if you really want to go the whoe hog a Panasonic PDRC (Permanent Display Removable computer)
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucky wrote:
My favorite solution is a motorised screen or a fitted double din but run from a Laptop with touchscreen driver and cable. That means you don't have to go messing about transferring stuff from your Laptop to the car computer, plus you can take it out.

Alternative Panasonic CF-07 Touchbook which is made to be fitted in a vehicle with a wireless touchscreen or if you really want to go the whoe hog a Panasonic PDRC (Permanent Display Removable computer)

I've thought about the toughbooks but they so underpowered.
Any screens you'v used / recommend?

also toyed with this idea: Tablet
Expensive / limited though.
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Toughbook 28 and a docking station plus one of the wireless touchscreens from a CF-07 which works with any of the Toughbooks. Yes it's not the latest (1GHZ processor and 768MB memory) but it runs XP SP3 perfectly fine, MemoryMap, Office 2007, iTunes or Windows Media Player and plays videos resonably well and music perfect. Run it with Linux and it flies.

Alternatively a CF-51 with a 1.9ghz core 2 and up to 4gbs memry can be yours for less than 500 notes and you can fit a docking station in the vehicle (adapt a home one) and fit a wireless CF-07 screen or any of the Lilliput ones. The CF-51 is not as rugged as the CF-28 / 29 /30 fully rugged line but it still beats the pants off pretty much any other laptop. Toughbooks have shockproof hard drives and an average failure rate of a 3rd of the next best one. No wonder the Army's of the world use them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: