NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

waffle board ground anchor table

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 23:03    Post subject: waffle board ground anchor table Reply with quote

Not really a vehicle mod but discussing different ground anchors types and their merrits on another forum reminded me of the secondary use my ground anchor and waffle boards get and I thought I'd post it here as well for entertainment value Laughing

The pins are from the anchor below for those not familiar with them:

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 23:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Olazz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:29    Post subject: Re: waffle board ground anchor table Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:
Not really a vehicle mod but discussing different ground anchors types and their merrits on another forum reminded me of the secondary use my ground anchor and waffle boards get and I thought I'd post it here as well for entertainment value Laughing

The pins are from the anchor below for those not familiar with them:

W,

I've not seen that type of anchor arrangement before...how does it work???
Where does one attach the cable and what stops the pins just pulling out?

Read my travel Blog:
WWW.derfstravels.com
Olazz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:29    Post subject: Re: waffle board ground anchor table Reply with quote

double post

Read my travel Blog:
WWW.derfstravels.com
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an ex mod anchor, places like anchor supplies sell them. One end of the main box section has an eye in it and a big shackle. There are 8 pins about 3ft long and they're driven in at angles. The ground, the spread of the pins and the way they fit through the box section stops them pulling out. In average ground conditions I only ever use 4 pins even for big pulls. Up to the axles in bog and with the acnhor set in ground that shakes when you jump on it I use all 8 pins. The volume of ground it grabs is pretty impressive yet a very simple design. The pins are a hex profile so to extract them you put a bar through the eye at the top and rotate them a few times to loosen the hole up and then pull them out. Takes more effort than some anchors to set but it's saved me a long walk a few times!

Here's a better identity shot:

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Olazz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:
It's an ex mod anchor, places like anchor supplies sell them. One end of the main box section has an eye in it and a big shackle. There are 8 pins about 3ft long and they're driven in at angles. The ground, the spread of the pins and the way they fit through the box section stops them pulling out. In average ground conditions I only ever use 4 pins even for big pulls. Up to the axles in bog and with the acnhor set in ground that shakes when you jump on it I use all 8 pins. The volume of ground it grabs is pretty impressive yet a very simple design. The pins are a hex profile so to extract them you put a bar through the eye at the top and rotate them a few times to loosen the hole up and then pull them out. Takes more effort than some anchors to set but it's saved me a long walk a few times!

Very interesting....

Looks like it weighs a ton. also looks more than  1m long?

Read my travel Blog:
WWW.derfstravels.com
Olazz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:

Very interesting....

Looks like it weighs a ton. also looks more than  1m long?

Read my travel Blog:
WWW.derfstravels.com
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pins are 960mm long, the box section maybe 20-30mm shorter. I don't have anything to measure the weight with properly but just by feel I'd say in the 30 to 40kg range, probably closer to 30kg. It's easy enough to carry about and it's an easy shape to store. Feels similar weight to a decent electric winch with steel cable or an 80 series rear diff  Laughing  Very handy get out of jail card I've played a few times now and makes a great table with the waffle boards  Very Happy

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a reet bobby dazzler that!!!
rickw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry only just seen this, so to set the spike you use...sledge/club hammer
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickw wrote:
sorry only just seen this, so to set the spike you use...sledge/club hammer
Yes, stick the pins through the box section and pound them in with a sledge hammer as per the second pic and try not to mistake your mate's head for one of the pins  Laughing

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: