Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Morocco 2010

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:36    Post subject: Morocco 2010 Reply with quote

Hi all,

We're looking at going to Morocco in 2010, either early June or early October, and probably with Barrie Dunbar and Waypoint Tours - anyone else interested in going along as well (that way we can possibly negotiate better prices  Laughing )  Note that Waypoint do fully-catered trips, so that's a help!!

Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Crispin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm keen. Been thinking about it for a while but also want to use it as a (one of many?) teaching lesson for the "Big One" to CT.
To be honest, October would be better. Father duties etc.

Any ideas (guestimates?) on prices etc?
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two weeks with Barrie (another South African - so plenty braais!!!) will cost about £900 per adult.  Bear in mind that's fully catered and includes the ferry fare from Gibraltar to Morocco, and all accomodation too.  So not too bad, I think - yes, you could do it cheaper yourself, but I like the idea of being able to stop in the evening, chuck up the tent and then let someone else do the work  Razz

Here's a link to the website:

Waypoint Tours

You need to factor in the ferry from Portsmouth / Plymouth to Santander and the then 1000km or so across Spain to Gib.

Fuel in Morocco is about 1/2 the cost of that in the UK, and fuel in Spain when I last checked was about €0.80/litre for diesel, so also quite a bit cheaper.

PM / mail me if you're interested.  I think we will go for the one on 7 June 2010 (leaving Edinburgh on the Thursday or Friday to catch the overnight ferry from Plymouth to Spain), dash across Spain and then ease back (I'm limited to University term times and end of Higher exams - two of my daughters will be coming with, and one's at Edinburgh uni and the other will be finishing her highers on either 4th or 5th June ... Wink )

Ja, ja - I'm that old  Wink  Laughing   Laughing   Laughing

Cheers
Crispin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

deff worth a thought.  Let me speak to the boss and see the lye of the land.

Having a look at their pictures. This had me in hysterics: Note his reg.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been a few comments about that - very apt  Laughing  Laughing

Did you watch it on YouTube?  Very interesting incident.... the way it went over in slow-motion was very lucky for all I think - probably prevented a lot of damage.

Wouldn't like to have that happen to me though - almost did that with my 80 in Atlantis Dunes in Cape Town once - nearly kakked my broek big time  Shocked
Crispin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youtube link? Can't see much with land cruiser rollover.

Doubt there would be much damage though. Maybe some denting but nothing serious.

Never been to the dunes in CT. Seen vid of it. Looks lekke.
Been to Koos se klip? That looks nice. Koose Se Klip
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go...

Cruiser roll

And interesting how the V6 120 went up the rock, and the diesel (remeber - KZ-TE version there) did the same, and there's massive power and torque differences.  And anyone who says a 120 isn't a capable vehicle off-road should watch that a few times  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Laughing  Laughing
Crispin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that looks like fun.  Not much damage either. Just looked like skin. Enough smoke when he restarted it Smile

For the un-enlightened, is the SA spec diesel different to here? A mate was telling me they not that rated here. A friend has one and the thing sikkles to pull it loaded with a boat on the back. He wants to swap it for a Nissan. I said I did not (yet?) have the "it's can't pull a heavy boat problem.
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

The diesel isn't rated too well, because it's the KZ-TE and is not inter-cooled and is, I think, a bit de-tuned due to the rubbish SA diesel.  But with the intro of the low-sulphur diesel, they are getting the D-4D engine later this year (October, I think).

BUT .. the V6 4.0 litre petrol is highly regarded!  Main complaint about them has been that they are perceived as a 'barbie cruiser' but they aren't really  Laughing   They're just as capable off-road as the others  Razz
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
There's been a few comments about that - very apt  Laughing  Laughing

Did you watch it on YouTube?  Very interesting incident.... the way it went over in slow-motion was very lucky for all I think - probably prevented a lot of damage.

Wouldn't like to have that happen to me though - almost did that with my 80 in Atlantis Dunes in Cape Town once - nearly kakked my broek big time  Shocked

That is a customer's truck.  The main damage was dented wings as well as upper roof line.  Actually the whole shell has been bent over so the windscreen doesn't fit as well, but it's been patched up and resprayed so doesn't look so bad now.

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the tent stopped it going a lot further. How's the tent?

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Moses

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 18:14    Post subject: Re: Morocco 2010 Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
Hi all,

We're looking at going to Morocco in 2010, either early June or early October, and probably with Barrie Dunbar and Waypoint Tours - anyone else interested in going along as well (that way we can possibly negotiate better prices  Laughing )  Note that Waypoint do fully-catered trips, so that's a help!!

Cheers

Hi Gary,

I spoke to Barrie Dunbar las week about the October 2010 trip and convinced him (didn'd need to really as he always wanted to go into Western Sahara Wink ) that this trip should be a reccie into the deep south of Morocco and into the Western Sahara. This has been changed to read this on his website. Aly and I are already signed up for this trip. It will no doubt be a trip to remember.
I suggest anyone wanting to go on this particular trip should sign up soon as the places are limited.

Trev

I
Sat Nav Free Zone
Jimbo4x4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wanna get on a tour with these guys, I've heard nothing but good things about them, including that their cuisine cest magnifique..

Gonna try and get some cash together so I can put my name down for that Western Sahara Explorer.
It's my birthday on the 12th too, would be a great way to spend it. Very Happy

With great power comes great responsibility. That's why I have a 2.4!
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds cool - I'll need to speak to the crew, because the girls were going to come with (thus limiting me to uni holidays - they'll both be in uni then).  If they have no major objections, we may just change plans a bit ...

Cheers
Big-Andy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

This recce trip sounds fun - keep me posted and in the mean time I'll try sign up with waypoint tours..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: