All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

interfacing with radio?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crispin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 17:12    Post subject: interfacing with radio? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried one of these or similar? Radio Interface
This one is different to most where the "normal" ones take an audio input, these connect to the USB of your carPC. £75 is steep though!

They, AFAIK, connect to the radio and mimic a CD Changer. Anyone with the cheap sat nav (TNS 300) radio used one?
The alternative is to buy a new headunit with aux in.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 17:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or buy an amplifier with aux in and put it under the front pax seat - oh - wait - that's not gonna fit anymore  Wink  Laughing  Laughing
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar device in that it behaves like another CD changer but it gives an ipod input and an ordinary audio aux input. Much better than an FM modulator but you already know that and still cheaper and simpler than a new head unit.

For the control aspect, using even an 8" touch screen on the move to choose music etc can be a bit distracting. Ideally you want some controls you can work by feel. I tried a usb numeric keypad for a bit (too big), and another time one of those mini Playstation keyboards (too many too small keys). I settled on a chopped up Nostromo game pad keyboard section, only 10 keys, doesn't take up too much space, easily navigated by feel. I've only just today got round to putting it into my 100 (was in my 80 for about 5+ years) and been reminded how much easier it makes it.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Crispin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
Or buy an amplifier with aux in and put it under the front pax seat - oh - wait - that's not gonna fit anymore  Wink  Laughing  Laughing

I have no amp! Well, Sad
Does mean there is space for pc  Very Happy

Jon, I was thinking of something like this for input:Griffin PowerMate
Something along those lines.

Do you have a name of the device you use? Cost?
leon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just pulled my toyo one out ( 6 disc CD changer inc ) and fitted a one from halfords (140 ) with a USB port for your ipod with a remote control and a 3mm plug thingy to add stuff with   Razz with a adapeter thingy it pluged right in took 10 min job done

sound is way better then the toyo one witch i thought was good any ways  Cool
2009 pug boy
2010 pug girl
         ^ dogs Smile
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Microsoft Nostromo game pad, the type you rest your hand on and have two rows of 5 keys at your finger tips as well as a hat controller for your thumb. I used an N50 which may be harder to track down as it's quite old. They later did an N52, not sure if that's still current, it had more keys and was a bit bigger so I prefer the N50. I'll take a picture for you next time I get chance. The cut & shut I did is a bit crude but it works and the software if comes with can generate any key press you like for the keypad buttons.

The Griffin seemed a bit limited in how many functions it could control. I have the Nostromo set so I can zoom in, out, pan left, right, up, down, toggle gps on/off, you get the idea, just pick the right button to press, no mucking about.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Crispin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

leon wrote:
Just pulled my toyo one out ( 6 disc CD changer inc ) and fitted a one from halfords (140 ) with a USB port for your ipod with a remote control and a 3mm plug thingy to add stuff with   Razz with a adapeter thingy it pluged right in took 10 min job done

sound is way better then the toyo one witch i thought was good any ways  Cool

Have thought about that option. I do not use the built in satnav as it seem rubbish. I guess I should take it back to the dealer but could be bothered. Everything on it works, just seems like the gps struggles with a lock. She keeps thinking in am in adjacent roads, as in, two houses away Neutral

Might rip it out. Is there a market for an original unit?
Crispin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildsmith wrote:
It's a Microsoft Nostromo game pad, the type you rest your hand on and have two rows of 5 keys at your finger tips as well as a hat controller for your thumb. I used an N50 which may be harder to track down as it's quite old. They later did an N52, not sure if that's still current, it had more keys and was a bit bigger so I prefer the N50. I'll take a picture for you next time I get chance. The cut & shut I did is a bit crude but it works and the software if comes with can generate any key press you like for the keypad buttons.

The Griffin seemed a bit limited in how many functions it could control. I have the Nostromo set so I can zoom in, out, pan left, right, up, down, toggle gps on/off, you get the idea, just pick the right button to press, no mucking about.

That does look interesting. TO be honest, never seen anything like that before. Not that I have seen everything but thought I had seen most PC gadgets... (My trade)

I was thinking of doing my own interface for this project. I have a small list of features I want but nothing to tie them together. Thought sod it, write my own. If anyone wants to throw some ideas my way, I can look at making it an all singing all dancing jobbie. Nothing like navigation or the sort, just ways of controlling other applications, some basic stuff etc.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have a lot of fun building your own interface, I certainly did. The cut and shut pics will probably be tomorrow evening BTW and I have a spare N50 & 52 in bits I can take pictures of so you see what the innards started out like  Laughing

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the truck:

The internals:

I just cut the keyboard section off top and bottom, hot glue'd the main circuit board to the underside of the keyboard casing and then hot glue'd the wrist support to the back of that. I removed the hat control and the pot (joint the pot wires together or it will stop working). There are cleverer things you could do construction wise but this one was built for my 80 which was mostly about things being functional  Laughing  The N52 has 4 more keys but IMO is a bit too big and wouldn't take the same treatement quite as easily.

It's a Belkin product by the way, not Microsoft. Looks like Amazon.co.uk still have 2.

The monitor 'quick release' :

Just two bits of aluminium with a slot milled in them and a bit of foam. With those screwed to the back of the monitor it just slots onto the slightly trimmed mount I already had instead of having to wind it off at the dash.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: