Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

What to look out for when viewing a FJ40/45

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe T

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 21:12    Post subject: What to look out for when viewing a FJ40/45 Reply with quote

Hello

Been keeping my eye out for an FJ45 and a few seem to be turning up just lately, is there anything specific to be wary of when viewing. I appreciate they are getting on a bit but do they suffer from chassis corrosion, whats parts like to get for them?
I have worked on early Nissan Patrols and G Wagens in the past but never the early landcruisers, I have always fancied one etc.

I did do a quick search but welcome to troll through some threads etc

Cheers

Joe
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 21:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

rodger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

If they've not been played with, the mechanics and electrics should be fine but the main problem is body rot. The weak areas are the front valance - they rot from the inside out because mud etc gets lodged between the valance support and the valence. Wings - assuming they've not been dented the rot starts between the wing support and the wing - mine are removable (now) so that they can be regularly cleaned. Bottoms of the doors and the sills - the drain holes on the doors get blocked and again they rot from the inside out. Also check the windscreen surround.

Parts are available from Oz, USA, Germany and France and some are available from Mr Toyota's emporium. If you want to get an idea of these costs between us (on the 40 forum) we can post some useful site addresses.

Good hunting

Regards,

Rodger
BJ40 with HJ60 running gear
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the front Chassis where it goes over the axle can crack - known problem on all the 40 series. Can be repaired though with strengthening plates, don't need to replace the chassis.
Joe T

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys

Quite similar to most other classic 4x4's then really. So the chassis are fairly solid then thats encouraging.

Most I have seen have been played with a bit, one I saw ran the axles under the springs to lift it etc.

Are replacement panels available.

Have you got any links for sites in France selling these as that could be a good option for me.

Thanks

Joe
rodger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

French sites:
roycreations.com
teseven.com

German site:
www.autoblechteile.de

US sites: (you would need a US shipping address e.g. borderlinx etc)
Cool cruisers of texas
SOR
Pacolonline.com

Worth checking IH8MUD forum

Hope that helps,

Regards,
Rodger
BJ40 with HJ60 running gear
Joe T

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I spotted this on e bay

e bay item 260457409270
(cant post a link as I am a Newbie)

Any thoughts...

I must admit I am not a fan of perkins engines.

Its also been raised by slinging the rear axle under the leaf springs and the front by adding a second piece of box section under the original chassis and mounting the hangars on that. Might also be a strengthener to resist cracking on the chassis mentioned above.

Hes firm on the auction opening price, despite it needing a fair bit of work.

Thanks

Joe
Hilux Darren

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of it especially the desert camo effect looks a proper workhorse as for advice follow your wallet
rodger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

I've seen this truck with previous owner. In fact its doors came from the BJ42 that my hardtop came from and I have its original doors for restoration.
Impressions at the time were (it didn't have a tray on it then): very high and I'm not a fan of axle under lifts; but basically sound. If your looking to go back to original though that would be a lot of work but it's quite impressive looking. Was originally dark red.

Hoipe that helps

Rodger
Joe T

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

The underbonnet pic shows a greeny blue colour, I wonder if that was before or after the red.

Its the front end and the engine that concerns me a bit, the route back to originality would be difficult.

Plus a Perkins, they weigh a ton, litrally...

Thanks

Joe
AB40

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 13:37    Post subject: BJ40'S FOR SALE Reply with quote

Hi i am selling 3 bj40's, 2 doors and 1 bonnet. I want to sell it all in 1 lot.
Price for all £3000
Contact me 07749 028207
Email aodhanboyle@hotmail.co.uk

Based in TYRONE, NORTHERN IRELAND
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: