2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

1998 Prado glow plugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Williams

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 11:22    Post subject: 1998 Prado glow plugs Reply with quote

Engine 3 litre 1KZ-TE need to replace plugs but haveing trouble finding UK equivalent
Existing plugs ceramic 0200 11v 7t 19850-67030 and advice would be appreciated
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 11:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

tlocuk
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike ...

we should have gloplugsdirect.com online very soon - selling blue-print glow plugs ...

They should come in around £70.00 for a set of 4

Simon.

Mike Williams

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 17:01    Post subject: 1KZ-TE Engine 3 litre diesel Glow plugs Reply with quote

Have fitted recommended replacement glowplugs ADT31811 (# on plug CP22 11v 4A) but they are not ceramic like the orginals, The engine takes 7-8 revs to start when cold which does not seem right, OK when hot 1-2 revs, pulling 60 amps on current meter at all times, preheat and post heat times per the book, Any thoughs on were to look ? engine only done 40,000 miles. and runs and ticks over perfect, am I being too fussy, although I am thinking of what will it be like frosty winter mornings.
Sure it is something simple needing adjusting but what ?
k1elliott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, what type of oil have you got in the engine and is it overfull?
Mike Williams

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:55    Post subject: 1KZ-TE Engine 3 litre diesel Glow plugs Reply with quote

Been down that route have 10-40 semi synthetic, I thought my oil might be too thick but is as per manual, I am wondering if the fuel is running back overnight as it seems to want to prime the system first, giveing thought to fitting a none return valve on the system between tank and filter or filter and pump but have no experience, as I have not found anything on the system you can adjust, maybe one of the vacum control valve diaphrams or rubber pipes need changing ? but which one as I have no idea what they control. and all the pipework looks like brand new.
Or is this the best you can get with the glowplugs fitted,
k1elliott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine's a 1kz-t as well. It takes about 3 - 4 turns to get going which I find starnge also. Some of the Paj's I tested started immediately and they had been sitting in a garage for days or weeks.

I was thinking of changing the glow plugs too.

TBH, I am new to diesels after owning and doing a lot of work on a 2.2 Honda Prelude.

the only problem I ever had with slow starts on that was overfilling with oil.

Maybe it's just a 'feature'.

This forum is very quiet! Pity there aren't some serious Toyota Diesel heads around. Maybe we'll have to do all the donkey work for those that follow in our footsteps.

Good luck.

K
Mike Williams

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also new to diesels, but at the end of the day all motors are just a bag of bolts and work basically on the same priciple, do not think the slow start has anything to do with glow plugs now, older diesel engines did not have them anyway, thinking of a friends old David Brown tractor, you just made the mixture richer. Am going to test the assumption that the fuel system is primeing it`s self on the first few revs because the fuel is running back into the tank over night (knacker non return valve ???), going to disconnect fuel pump supply and connect gravity fed feed to the pump and leave overnight. Basically hang a independant bottled supply of fuel off the open bonnet, this may give a clue, all a diesel engine needs to start is fuel and compression and I have plenty of the latter, no dodgy electrics to cloud the issue, at least that is the theory as I do not want to go down the road of checking compression, not as simple as a petrol engine, keeping fingers crossed Rolling Eyes

The main reason I am on this mission is my lad has a knackered old Discovery (150,000 miles) and it starts with one rev, a big cloud of black smoke in reply but it starts, I bought this Toyota to show him what a proper 4*4 is to drive but he says nothing just grins and walks off, what a wind up. maybe Toyota should start makeing cars that give out black smoke at least they start. Laughing

PS agree with you not much going on on this site, maybe no one else has any problems ?
Mike Williams

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlocuk wrote:
Hi Mike ...

we should have gloplugsdirect.com online very soon - selling blue-print glow plugs ...

They should come in around £70.00 for a set of 4

Simon.

Are the glow plugs they are blue-printing ceramic ?
k1elliott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Williams wrote:

PS agree with you not much going on on this site, maybe no one else has any problems ?

Maybe! that's what I was thinking. I posted a thread on the pajero site and caused hell: -
http://www.pocuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14561&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Or, maybe the Cruizers attract a differnet type of owner that might not be as internet friendly as us.
The forum also appears to be quite new as well.

We can but wait.

Nice talkin to you anyway!!
lennytoyota

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 23:07    Post subject: glow plugs Reply with quote

I work as a cab driver and on the old cabs with the rover engines if the cam belt snapped,and then not replaced tooth for tooth the timing would be out and it would be a b stard to start have you had your belt replaced and not refitted correctly ,its a very very long shot but this could be the cause.
mine is a 3.0 and the starter must turn once and then it starts.
Lenny
Mike Williams

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:44    Post subject: Starting problems Reply with quote

Have now solved the problem by fitting a none return valve between filter and pump, (£4.50 - 10 mins to fit) Fuel must of been running back to tank overnight, the problem only occured after a long standing period i.e. over 12 hours, the simplist solutions are often the last you think about
k1elliott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. My slow starting was caused by a cheap battery that was 50 amps short on power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: