4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Installing a strong box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 17:29    Post subject: Installing a strong box Reply with quote

Look, I don't know why I do these things, I just do. I like to tinker. I guess one day I will get a new vehicle and use all the best ideas so far. But as a shooter, it's always handy to have somewhere to leave bolts and ammo, Firearms Certificates, wallets etc. So I stuck a safe in the truck. It is bolted into the frame which is bolted into the vehicle. Judging by how long out took me to get it in and out, any thief would give up long before getting to the prize! I got the safe from B&Q. If you have a cavernous 80 series, they do a proper sized one for less than £20. These are not cheap rubbish, they are well made and certainly up to the job of protecting your valuables.
I shall get some thinner MDF tomorrow and panel in the side so it look a bit smarter.
LC

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 17:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good  Very Happy , the way you are going you will have built a new cruiser soon  Laughing , you must have a very understanding wife . Cool .
Ecky Thump
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need a HGV licence soon if you add much more weight.

Looks good though, think I need a trip to B&Q.
Perfect for passports, licences etc!
1997 auto petrol 80 (for Er'in'doors)
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I'm not the only one daft enough to do that   Laughing Plenty good enough to stop someone who can't take the vehicle with them getting your valuables.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wife?  Oh Wife. Umh, wife.. let me see, err can't see anyone in the workshop. Hang on, there's a cup of tea. Hey, I must be married!

Wait, no biscuits, damn, false alarm.

Actually the current Mrs LC is very understanding. She understands that whilst I am out here, she is safe in there...

Make of that what you will Gentlemen. Ahem.

LC
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea - also on my 'to do' list sometime - which never seems to get any shorter  Wink
jvoelcker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

We often fit these into the floor on the passenger side footwell for people overlanding for their passports, etc.

Julian
1994 HDJ80, with loads of mods without looking too obscene Smile
1997 KZJ95 - Gilly's - plain black and muddy on BFG ATs.
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to finishing off the installation this afternoon. Couldn't do the other job that was planned as I had the wrong size steel. Doh.

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Landcrusher.

I had a thought about these things today, while I was cutting up something completely unrelated with the grinder  Laughing  and it's a bit obvious really but might be worth mentioning (or maybe not  Shocked ). These safe's / strong box's might have hardened locks if you're lucky but the casing is mild steel so if say you wanted your box to be deeper or shallower but they don't make the size you need, just cut the back off and extend / shrink the box depth to the size you need  Very Happy

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or indeed contoured to fit a tricky shape. I honestly never thought of that. OK, I didn't need to, but you are quite right. All you really need is the door!!

Not a good idea to leave the angel grinder in the boot when you have an inverter fitted either. Maybe I should put the grinder in the safe.

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Or indeed contoured to fit a tricky shape. I honestly never thought of that. OK, I didn't need to, but you are quite right. All you really need is the door!!

Not a good idea to leave the angel grinder in the boot when you have an inverter fitted either. Maybe I should put the grinder in the safe.

LC
 Laughing  It did make me scratch my head to see if there was some really clever place to just put the front of the box & door to gain access to an existing void but I didn't come up with anything viable. The tailgate void is too shallow on mine and my rear wings are already occupied ...

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Crispin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

err, glovebox? Wink
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

too small and not secure enough  Wink  My safe is fine where it is anyway, just had to make sure I hadn't missed somewhere better  Laughing

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: