Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

100 series sliders

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 0:01    Post subject: 100 series sliders Reply with quote

Been busy with the angle grinder and welder again  Very Happy  My side steps were understandably looking a bit sorry for themselves already so replacing them went to the top of the todo list. The replacements need to work as steps so my family can still get in and out easily as well as fending off rock attacks. The outside of the chassis rails on AHC equipped 100's are a bit cluttered with damping actuators and such so there's only really room for two legs. Even then the actuator stone shields will need to be removed and a couple of pipe clips relocated. As there's only going to be 2 legs per slider I've gone for 100mmx50mm box section with a 5mm wall for the outriggers instead of the much smaller channel I used on the 80. At the chassis they go to a 150x215mm plate in 6mm. The front outrigger has clearance for stiffening pieces to the foot plate but the rear outrigger has an AHC pipe in the way. This shouldn't be too much of a problem as the rear outrigger is much shorter, only 190mm, than the front. The AHC pipe could be cut, have a join fitted and go through a hole in the stiffeners. I'm still deciding if the AHC is staying or going so once that's resolved I'll go back and add the stiffening. The main section of the slider is the same as the 80 series sliders, 100x50mm in 5mm wall with a short tube welded into each end for a jacking point. The stiffeners between the main box section and outriggers is in case the sliders are used as an anchor point for a not quite side ways recovery. There's a bit of thin wall tub runs along the main box section to help make the step and some chequer plate across the top to finish it off.

This is the underside of the drivers side slider:

The outriggers clear the pinch weld on the body by about 10mm to allow space for the body and chassis to flex. The main box section sits 25mm higher and the outrigger ends are capped with short lengths of 50mm equal angle in 6mm cut down to size. This gets the step up as high as it can go and still clear the body and is 16mm higher because of my body lift anyway. Without the body lift there wouldn't be room for the 50mm depth of the outrigger box section and a weaker C section would be needed.

This is them with Hamerite spray paint that I wasn't impressed with. They're in the garage with a coat of brush on hamerite drying now:

The chassis rails are bigger than my old 80 so I can't use the u-bolts I had for that. This time I'm using M10 bolts and some 50x215mm in 6mm straps:

The two with slots cut out of them are to clear the gearbox cross member.

When the paint has dried I'll fit them up and take some more pictures with details of how they clear the AHC gubbins.

I'd estimate they're a similar weight to the 80 series sliders, maybe a tiny bit more, so about 35kg each. That may seem a bit OTT but they may find a 3+ ton truck resting on them Laughing

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP

Last edited by wildsmith on Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:51; edited 1 time in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 0:01    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are looking very promising. I think that I need to strengthen min up a little actually. New steel bumper will have jacking points in. Very nice looking work though. Very nice. Would have been lovely coated or galvanised first. I know it all gets scratched off, but all the same they would look superb. I have to get into pipe bending. Strikes me that we make a lot more home-made mods over here than in Oz. OK, they have more off the shelf bits, but I think we seem a little more adventurous. They do seem paralyzed by laws driven by their insurance companies it would seem.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of that, especially the mounting points underneath.

LC
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what can I say,
They look far better than any you could ever hope to buy.
They look very professional, and massively strong to crush their way through the rough stuff.

Well done,

'vette
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the complements  Smile  They're a bit shiney and nasty in that picture.  I usually use Plasticote (or something like that  Laughing ) mat spray paint and it's quite forgiving but I got some hamerite smooth and it ran too easily for my skill level. The brush on stuff is much thicker and easier to use. Powder coat would be nice as you say LC and maybe when the rear outrigger gets modified I'll have the patience to wait for that  Laughing I've thought about getting a proper tube bender but I've not seen them for less than about £750 and then you need the die's. There's a diy one I might have a go at: http://www.gottrikes.com/ Looking forward to seeing you're new bumper, sounds like you've found a really good place there for having stuff formed.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work as ever Jaydubbleyou - stout, I say stout is how they look  Cool
Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, Jon! Those look seriously robust  Cool

Cheers,

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Impressive stuff!! You sure you're in the right job??  I think you could make a seriously good living making stuff for other, less capable folk (Like me  Laughing  Laughing ).  And I still think you've hijacked the Tardis and have it as your garage  Laughing

Well done!
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a time out from Lincomb Gary & go see the laughably called garage that JW has attached to his ranch - I think the whistlestop tour would take most of the day  Wink
TobyJug

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice......
PtP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Jon – as usual! Laughing

If you would like an extra pair of hands to manhandle them into position, then just give me a shout – anytime.
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

A chap could get a complex about the size of his facilities reading this  Very Happy  It's just a regular double garage, smallest one I've had. I'm always moaning to Steph that she made us move from the last house where the garage was in the back garden and there was loads of room to expand it  Crying or Very sad  Thanks for the offer Peter but they're on, the bits for yours are still sitting there waiting to be glued together.

Much better finish with the brush on Hamerite smooth and some patience:

This is where the rear foot plate goes and you can see the pipe that's in the way:

The front is clear but with the size of plate I'm using comes up tight against the gearbox cross member round the back:

Another look at the back with the slider in place:

and the front:

Installed - not in your face, need some dirt on them  Laughing

Here you can see they sit up a bit from the chassis rails courtesy of the body lift really:

Things I learn't from the 80 sliders that I've worked into this design were: raise them up as much as possible as every little helps, don't bother taking the step all the way to the front as it doesn't get used and just collects dirt, DO take the step back as far as you can because from the back seat there's not much step to aim for otherwise.

You'll see I've also left them about 50mm short of the wheel arch openings each end to allow for if the panels ever need cutting back to clear bigger tyres.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just like 'Listen with Uncle Jaydubblyuh' with these threads Jon - I love 'em; I just need to be able to get on with implementing some of them!!!
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

So howdja bend them rails then Jon without a bender thingy? They look sooperdooper. I may have to redesign mine now!

LC
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a load bent by someone else for the 80 series sliders and those tubes were left overs. If you know somewhere to get them done it's cheaper than buying a bender just not as flexible. I've done bends by making a million slits before but that's tedious and I've got a cheap clarke pipe bender which is a lot of work to get good bends and only works for some sizes so I cheat when I can  Very Happy

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
SpinDrift
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon,

The sliders look great.  They are something I am currently considering for my 90 so this thread and the one LC had put up a while back on the same are of particular interest.

cheers

Reinhard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: