Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Seized front calipers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Running gear / gearbox / suspension / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frazned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 15:46    Post subject: Seized front calipers Reply with quote

Hi all, if anyone can help me on this thank you in advance.

I have just been informed that my LC3 has seized front calipers, can anyone tell me if and how I can release and clean the pistons up instead of a bill of about £800!!!

I have the time to leave the car on stands if this is a slow process.

Thanks loads.

Mark
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 15:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Frazned. Shocked  A subject close to my heart. I had to replace both mine a few months ago. However, I happen to have a nice newish 'improved' model caliper available for sale if you want it at a reasonable price. Please PM me and we can sort something out. My considered view on it is that 'unseizing' the calipers is not successful and Toyo don't do an overhaul kit. If you intend to keep the LC I think it is worth the pain fitting new calipers, or at least the second hand new style calipers. I spent a day try to sort mine but the pistons were just too rusted and given that the seal is a naff design it will likely seize again unless they are regularly pampered.

Let me know as my spare caliper is just collecting dust in a box in the garage. With the new calipers and pads it transformed the brakes.  Very Happy
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and there are several companies that will take your calipers as exchange units for reconditioned ones if that suits you. Google's yer man there. You might want to consider new disks and pads too. I fitted pads but sort of regret not doing the disks as well as one of them is not that good. Anyway, simple job to do.
Ecky Thump
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frazned

Not trying to step on NC's toes here but have a read of;

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6109&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=front+callipers

and

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6242&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I have just recently done mine, allbeit on an 80 but it is not difficult. The hardest part is getting the seized pistons out but one of the above threads tells you how.

A new seal kit for both front callipers on my 80 was £60 and if you need a piston they are £20 each.
1997 auto petrol 80 (for Er'in'doors)
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink
No toes stood on Ecky, but mine were stuck solid. A lump hammer wouldn't budge them! Shocked
PtP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it’s not a LC calliper, but this is what I did on my Jeep a short while back. I fitted new seals and bakelite pistons. The pictures might give you some confidence to tackle yours.

Quote:
Well, I thought I would tackle the job and I’m glad I did so far as the job has been very easy.

I thought I would get away with just stripping the calliper, cleaning the rust and crud and rebuilding it!

Not quite as straight forward as I first thought.

I stripped the piston out and discovered there was a ridge of rust deposited around the edge and I also discovered that the piston is not made from steel, but some sort of resin material / Bakelite. Anyway, a very light rub on some 600 grit wet and dry and the rust deposit was removed.

This photo shows the piston after I removed the rust.

Next I realised the rust had come from the ring of metal by the seal in the casting.

So a gentle rub with the 600 paper and all the rust was removed.

In the process of rubbing this area of the cylinder, I realised that there must be a split in the outer seal to have let all the water in which had caused this to rust up. Sure enough, here is the split.

A quick call to Lighthouse who have the service kits in stock and I’m now waiting for the post in the morning.

Knowing that there is a new piston on its way I removed the internal seal from the cylinder and inserted the piston and to my surprise it got stuck despite having removed all the crud and rust! In some positions it was working, but if I rotated it a few degrees one way or another it became stuck again. I very gently rubbed the piston again on the 600 paper and now it’s a perfect fit! I will use the new piston though. But it just goes to show, what you thing is clean and back to size is not! I also rotated the piston in the cylinder after this second sanding and there was no sign of any interference, just a good close and snug fit.

The service kits include the piston, inner seal and outer seal are only £13.90 plus VAT and p&p. I’ve ordered 2 sets!

Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

No service kits available from Toyo. All parts must be separately listed and ordered. Pity they don't seem fit to do a service kit but maybe they realise the earlier calipers were naff and are hoping most of them are ditched by now anyway.... Shocked  Confused
PtP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall seeing service kits for LCs and for what it’s worth, I’ve just searched on: http://www.toyodiy.com for a service kit for my model and I came up with this. I’ve no idea though if other models are listed like this. Confused

Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyo dealer told me no service kits available for LC120s. Possibly worth checking though as they have been wrong before.  Confused
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is ToyoDIY for the 120:

PtP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the: 2003 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER (KDJ120R-GKPEYW)

The seal kit is listed as:
04479 CYLINDER KIT, DISC BRAKE, FRONT
04479-60080 GRJ12*, KDJ12* 1 € 66.80

and pistons are:
47731 PISTON, FRONT DISC BRAKE
47731-35040 GRJ12*, KDJ12* 8 € 18.55
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you find that bit?  I searched (some) but couldn't see anything that specific...  then I ghad to go to a meeting  Crying or Very sad
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Good one. They are wrong then. Surprise, surprise
PtP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

garystockton wrote:
Where did you find that bit?  

The info shows up on the right-hand side of my screen - but I am using a wide screen! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Running gear / gearbox / suspension / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: