Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Help with Dashboard Controls, 1991 Prada

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smifffy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:19    Post subject: Help with Dashboard Controls, 1991 Prada Reply with quote

Help with Dashboard Controls, 1991 Prada

Somebody please help me with dashboard controls on a 1991 Prada 2.4 Diesel, Jap Import. I don't have a handbook and am a little confused having never owned one before.

Please tell me what the controls are with any tips, known problems etc referenced by number.

MAIN UPPER DASHBOARD:-

1. "ECT PWR" light

2. "FILTER" light
3. "PRE HEAT" light

4. "HUB LOCK" button
5. "H4" button

AUTO GEARSTICK CENTRE CONSOLE:-

6. "A.T. OILTEMP" light
7. "A.T. P" light

8. "OVERDRIVE" button on auto gear shift.

9. "ECT Normal/Power" button

10. "Sport/Normal" (with shock absorber motif)

11. Unmarked black toggle switch button with red light on one end.

OTHER:-

12. "H2 - N - L4" second gear shift on centre console.

13. Red button on top of gear shift housing with japanese writing above it.
There is also a small raised plate to the left saying OVERDRIVE, is this
a second alternative overdrive button - seems odd.

Also, never had overdrive but I assume it is for cruising, can anybody advise speeds or revs for when it should be used.

Also, want to tow a caravan, any tips about using auto to do this or any required modifications.

Any help really appreciated.

Best Regards

Smifffy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Omar J. Ali

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Smiffy,

I own the same vehicle with Automatic Gearbox, and the following is some help to your request:

1. "ECT PWR" Green Light, glows when you press down "ECT Normal/Power button. It is used to support the Shock Absorbers when you are driving on rough roads. The electric power is attached to the Shock Absorbers.

2. "FILTER" Light glows when you put on the ignition and before you start the engine. You should wait for the system to check that the Diesel filter is working properly. When it goes off, then this will give you a beep sound to start the engine.

3. "PRE HEAT" light is for the coil that heat the diesel before it goes into the injection chambers. It light also glows as a check before starting the engine.

4. "HUB LOCK". This button "IS NEVER USED WHEN THE VEHICLE IS MOVING". It is mainly used to lock the "Hubs" when your hand brake fails.

5. "H4" button, releases the gear is engaged. If not it is not effective.

6. " A.T. OIL TEMP" red light, glows when you switch on, but before you start the engine. It is a part of the checking system. It measures the Automatic Transmission Oil Temperature. If is it overheated, it goes on. If not, it goes off when you start the engine.

7. "A.T.P" light, Automatic Transmission Pressure. it checks pressure that changes the Automatic system, before the engine starts. If it glows on, then you need to go to the workshop to check the Transmission Oil level, or filter.

8. "Overdrive" button on Auto gear shift. It is used to support the driving foce of the gear when you are speeding up (I am not sure! we need mechanic advice).

9. "ECT Normal/Power" is the main Electric Switch for the Sport Shock Absorbers.

10. Please refer to No. 9.

11. I do not know this "Unmarked black toggle swith with red light on one end. Please state where it is located, may be my vehicle does not have it.

12. "H2 - N - L4" is High Gear - Nuetral - Low Gear support for driving in sands, mud and ice. The "H4" is their release button.

13. "Red button" This red button is the "Automatic Gear Shift Release" if you enginer is not working. Press the brakes, press down the red button, then you gear will move to push your car without starting the engine.

I need to know about the overdrive and tips for towing too.

This all I know. I am sorry if I miss any fact. But we still want to know more opinions.

Thanks.

Omar
delboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

over drive is like a 4th gear all ways have over drive on

the oil filter light tells you if you have any water in the filter if so you must drain it from the tap at the bottom of the filter
cazzawoo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smiffy,

Nice motor. I have a LJ78 SX LWB .

1. "ECT PWR" light is Electronic Controlled Transmission (allows higher revs before change up)

2. "FILTER" light is Should go out shortly after ignition switched on. When your fuel filter has water ingress light stays on. Drain/change filter.

3. "PRE HEAT" light - Glow plugs on. Goes out after a few seconds then start engine.

4. "HUB LOCK" button - Power hub lock. Locks hubs in 4 wheel drive mode. Use only on loose surfaces, mud, snow, ice etc.

5. "H4" button - Puts vehicle in High ratio 4 wheel drive. Pressing this button also operates the 'Hub Lock'

AUTO GEARSTICK CENTRE CONSOLE:-

6. "A.T. OILTEMP" light - Auto gearbox temperature. If illuminated slow down. Check gearbox levels. Probably only if towing or going up hill.

7. "A.T. P" light - If transfer lever is in 'N' this warns you that 'Park' is inoperable.

8. "OVERDRIVE" button on auto gear shift. - Disables 'overdrive' Your gearbox has a torque convertor lock (Overdrive) this button switches it on or off. Just leave it in overdrive.

9. "ECT Normal/Power" button - See 1.

10. "Sport/Normal" (with shock absorber motif) - Switches the shock absorber damping rate.

11. Unmarked black toggle switch button with red light on one end. - Might be retro-fitted rear fog light switch.

OTHER:-

12. "H2 - N - L4" second gear shift on centre console. - Selects low ratio - high ratio. Gear lever has to be in 'N' to allow change. Selecting 'L' also locks hubs. Use only offroad, (loose surfaces)

13. Red button on top of gear shift housing allows you to release the gearlever from 'Park' without ignition on.

Also, never had overdrive but I assume it is for cruising, can anybody advise speeds or revs for when it should be used.

Just leave it in overdrive.

Also, want to tow a caravan, any tips about using auto to do this or any required modifications. Ours tows great.

Regards

Cazzawoo Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: