Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Stripped rear Crown and Pinion on a 120 ...

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably but they're of the wide 3 centre lug variety which don't dig as well as the old 2 centre lug design yours copy. I noticed in my 80 that scrubbing the sides of the ruts stole a lot of momentum. Can't say I noticed it in the 100 but it's just possible the tyres were already giving all they'd got. We'll find out on sunday anyway I expect  Wink

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 17:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

*beep*, really need an edit button in here! I was also going to add that from the drivers seat I couldn't see how much individual wheel spinning was going on when moving or how long the ATRAC took to shut it down, maybe a watcher can comment on that.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Desperatezulu
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was probably the closest to the point where you were stopping on the hill - your front tyres were spinning individually quite a bit. It was nothing like half a turn and then the ATrac braked the tyre - they were probably spinning for half a second before stopping and then the other one would spin. At 5000rpm, that's probably quite a few wheel revolutions in half a second  Laughing

I think both tyres were struggling for traction and the system was struggling to compute because it was switching from one tyre to the other and back again pretty quickly. Once you were losing momentum, I don't recall both front tyres spinning simultaneously, always one spinning and being braked and then the other spinning. The loads going back and forth so fast probably didn't help the diff too much....

Cheers,

'98 LC80 4.2TD VX 24v
Crispin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperatezulu wrote:

I don't recall both front tyres spinning simultaneously, always one spinning and being braked and then the other spinning. The loads going back and forth so fast probably didn't help the diff too much....

Surely the traction control would not brake both tyres on the same axle at the same time? a) no point, b) the shock that would put on the drive chain...
If the wheels on one axle are spinning, one could surmise the opposite wheels have decent / better traction. Locking both spinning wheels would be bad Shocked

As always, I wait for the correction Wink
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andrew, that sounds about what I expected to have been happening having watched other traction control systems at work. Crispin, with the centre diff locked you're right it shouldn't brake both wheels on the same axle together. Detecting loss of traction is easy for the software but once it has braked a wheel, how does it know what traction is available half a second, a second ... later? It has to let the wheel turn again to find out so in very low traction situations it will do a dance.

Back on topic - the rear diff on a 120 does seem to share some components with the 80 & 100 series front diff. I can't compare R&P part numbers because they're different ratios but e.g. the pinion shims are the same. For those with ATRAC, fitting an ARB in the rear should be easy. The front looks like the same clam shell split casing as LC's 90 so he could tell you all about that end.

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: