Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Roof bars query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 20:58    Post subject: Roof bars query Reply with quote

Hi all, time to get some roof cross bars to fit to the fitted rails. From Lindop I can get the Toyo ones posted to my door, all in, for £114 and from www.roofbox.co.uk I can get Thule Aero bars (861 with 757 foot pack for anyone familiar) for £117 delivered. My query is has anyone used the Toyo ones and are they of decent qualiy? I want them for ladders mainly and potentially a roof box in the future. They are 80kg load and the Thule are 100kg. Are the Thule ones, generally accepted as good quality, worth the few extra quid?   Question  Question
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 20:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the Thule bars (aero) - had them for the Volvo V70 we had - same bar fits both, fortunately.  So far very happy.  I'll be mounting my Howling Moon Roof tent to them on Friday hopefully, so if you want to wait a couple of days I can give you more detailed info?  So far, though, the one I had on in the Lakes to mount the GPS receiver to didn't amke any noise at all.  On the Volvo with a big Thule roof-box (loaded) they were perfect, too.

Can't comment on the Toyota ones.  You may also want to consider Rhino bars - Jon has them on his 100 with the MAgiolina on top, and they seem to be coping just fine ...
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink Cheers. Let me know how you get on.
Boff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thule web site recommends a 862 bar not an 861 bar. And you can get this kit for £109.99 from Skidrive Also the roof load is given in the manual and is less thah 100kg if I remember correctly
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange - if you go via the Thule bar selector the Aero bar recommended is an 869

Thule
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota state the roof bar load to be max 80kg's

LC120 spec sheet
uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought 2 packs of 762
These are 135cm wide, and are far better,
As a note, if you but 1 bar at the front of the rails, and 1 bar at the rear of the rails, then you put one bar mid point, you will find the roof rails are not level,
So if you put 3 rails on, to spread more load, and put a strait flat load on, you will see a air gap on the front or reat bar of about 20mm.
So I ended up putting one bare on top of the other at the rear.
This then brought all the 3 bars into a flat platform, rather than rocking on either the middle and the back, or the middle and the front.

vette
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. The 861 bar is 120cm  I think and the 869 is 127cm. Same bar, just slightly longer. 761, 762 and 769 are the square section steel bars, presuambly same lengths and 800 series Aero bars. 862 bar will not fit as I have been advised by 2 different sellers it's too long (140cm I think) to get the foot pack clamped to the rails. The slot in the bar underneath that receives the foot pack is too short in this instance. Thule site gave me 757 or 775 and 761 or 861 bars .

Boff, add £12 NI delivery and price is £123 approx.....

Gary, you are right about the 80kg. The 100kg rating just tells me it is a bit sturdier, that's all. 80kg per bar is loads.

Good point by 'vette. Not intending to use 3. For now anyway.

Still undecided.... Confused
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - we put our new Howling Moon Tourer tent on the Thule cross bars (aero) mounted to teh stock roof rails.  the tent comes in at 54kg (64kg total package with the side tent) and we did all the lanes on Saturday no problem, and slept two adults in it on Saturday evening and all is still fine - nothing bent or broken that  I can see.  So should be pretty sturdy for what you want.  Longer-term I'll be fitting a Patriot 2,4m expedition rack ...  Laughing

Cheers

Gary
Daz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

In Aust the Prados have optional Rhino bars from Toyota. The aero bars and I believe the HD Bars are available thru Toyota.
The other advantage of Rhino is all the accessories you can fit.

Unfort this forum wont let me attach hyperlinks, but some info
at the rhinorack website in Australia

There has been plenty of discussion on Pradopint under the 120 series accessories forum.  

Cheers

Daz
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyo bars ordered. Lindop as usual! Thanks for the input all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: