Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

spare rear diff anyone?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an ARB, IIRC, you get a dash switch, an air solenoid and some instructions, so you need to solve the ABS / isolation etc problems if you're so inclined. If you buy the small ARB compressor designed for lockers you get a wiring harness for your existing switches and also another switch which powers up the compressor and 'arms' the locker switches. The ARB harness is also set so that the front won't engage unless the rear is engaged. There's no link to CDL or ABS but it wouldn't be rocket science to add them.

For simplicity and speed I used the ARB harness 'as is' and doubted I would ever get round to tapping into the OEM signals but having lived with it for a while at some point I will re-wire it. On the ARB switches I have (the standard carlton ones) at night with the switch illuminated you can't actually see the picture that says what the switch is. If like me you have them all in a line it's not hard to imagine accidentaly turning on an axle locker instead of turning the compressor off, especially as you have to pay more attention to the road in the dark!

I will replace the compressor switch with a relay which is energized by the CDL lock sensor circuit, so when my CDL locks, the compressor fires up ready for action and conversly the ARB(s) can't so easily be accidentaly engaged and are automatically isolated when CDL goes off.

I will replace the air solenoid power switches with relays energized by an OEM rotary axle locker switch. Hard to imagine accidentaly turning the OEM AND turning CDL on, whereas the ARB switches are very big rocker targets to accidentaly press. I kept the axle locker switch from my green 80 with this in mind but if the 90 & 120 use the same switch but with a single position, you could rig it to take an 80 series switch and have both axle lockers on the same switch.

I'll still want some indicator lights somewhere to let me know when a locker has air though.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have to think along those lines for my front locker. I really don't want that on-line unless it's needed - or forget to knock it off. I reckon that I will need to tie into the rotary switch somehow. As I have a tank, it's likely that I will have sufficient air at anytime to run the actuator, but the there is a little solenoid valve that needs the electrical signal to let the air through. I guess I could run the power to that switch via the rotary dial? Presuming that it needs power to keep it engaged and when it loses that, it returns under a spring. If it's a double pole then it's not as easy. ie it need power to engage and power to disengage. This would mean that I could actually have the front engaged if I turned the dial, but the rear would NOT be locked unless I was in low range. Not really a problem.

C
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landcrusher wrote:
Presuming that it needs power to keep it engaged and when it loses that, it returns under a spring.

Yes, when power is removed the air pressure is released so you could run the air solenoid power via a relay who's coil is energised by the rear locker circuit in line with whatever switch you use to select the front locker or if your rotary switch uses the same hole as an 80 (likely) then you could try someone like stefoil for an 80 rotary switch with the front locker position on it and just use that. The connectors might be different but you should be able to get the car side of the loom from the same source and un-pick the wires from that and yours to make up a connector that suits your truck and the ARB.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, nice one Jon. I like that even more!

I shall look into that option

C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: