Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

VEG OIL - MY K REG LANDCRUISER ON VEG OILL FOR LAST 4 MONTHS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheapskate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 23:22    Post subject: VEG OIL - MY K REG LANDCRUISER ON VEG OILL FOR LAST 4 MONTHS Reply with quote

Just joined so site virgin

But not a veg oil virgin,

At best i had 160 lts of used frying veg oil in garage, got for free but then i did work as a head chef in a pub  !!!!

This is not a recipe for or a artical for biodiesel it's about uvo(used veg oil) or wvo(waste veg oil) or un used veg oil if you want to pay the price

Things good to know;

In 2007 you could pay a supplier to remove waste oil from your business, since then it's been free for must premises but in march just as i was leaving the industry oil suppliers were informing me that things were changing soon and businesses were going to be paid for their waste oil albeit only about 1.50 a 20 ltr drum.

After emptying fryer i heated oil up to approx 130c to remove any water and then through a very fine filter to remove *beep*. Land cruiser has a water separator on the fuel filter but better to remove so no probs latter.

Choose oil carefully as some chefs only change oil when the co lour is black making for very poor quality oil, haven't used this as i was my own supplier

I started with 15 percent oil to 85 percent diesel then went to 30/70 then 40/60 then 50/50, performance didn't noticeably change, on cold nights about 4/5 c. Then revs would fluctuate very noticeably on starting for first few mins of driving can look strange and cause problems driving as  i drive an auto, if you let engine warm before driving poss 3/4 mins this problem is greatly reduced, but no problem had when temp goes up to approx 8/9 plus.

After weather got warmer, wife noticed engine sluggish for very short period if started and driven immediately, later found out furl filter was badly blocked when driving from bournemouth to newcastle at 3am the car started to lose speed, managed 20 up hills but sped up to 30 on long flats, not great when kid full of luggage and kids and panicking wife, stopped by police explained problem and then started engine and problem gone. But changed filter anyway (14 quid) from halfords and it ran better than since i brought truck in first place, with better acceleration and throttle response,  advise buy one and carry in car.

When thick oil is stored in fuel tank it stirs up the silt of 130k miles of diesel thus carrying it to the filter, this problem is supposed to subside with use

When filling i fill half tank with diesel then add oil till full, then immediately drive around for couple of mins to aid mixing

Smell wow what can i say, get used to people saying' someone's having a bbq' at 50 percent the smell is noticeable, less so at 30 percent, but i had free veg oil so increasing my mpg by 40 percent who cares i sure as hell don't

I am only planning to use about 25-30 percent in colder weather as i don't want to have a problem with waxing, but i would only experiment with quarter of a tank of mixed oil so if any problems i could fill tank with diesel diluting mix to remove any problem

So here my rough calculations it cost me 101 painful pounds to fill my wifes truck, 50 pounds if i do a summer mix with waste veg oil, i can drive from my house to newcastle approx 370 miles on half a tank driving like miss daisy at 60miles an hour, i always drive through the night so kids and wife sleep so i this journey can be achieved for a princely sum of 25/30 pounds, in a 2 ton truck !!!! Thank god i don't have to buy a prius,  planning a journey to france next so starting to stock up on oil,

And if anybody want some free oil sorry i have used all my oil, but went to swanage for quality family time and cracking fish and chips, popped into a pub to see and old work mate and got 50 ltrs from him for free,  trip must have paid for itself.

I don't know whats best saving money or peoples faces when asking or being watched as i pour oil into my truck.

Have been told there is new government tax break for people using alternative fuels,

This is not a biodiesel topic, biodiesel is made from veg oil new or used with a recipe using meths and caustic soda, and equipment you can buy or make at home with a hot water tank. There is also a method od using a dr pepper bottle with wonderful simple methods that negate the problem of consistency as they remove the glycerol but still have concerns with some engines.

I stopped reading these web site when i read a simple statement - 'the hardest part is getting over the fact you are pouring oil into the fuel tank'

After this and a *beep* day at work i thought sod it and see,

Hope this can be help full to you guys living with a great truck but *beep* diesel prices

####################################################################

Can anyone let me know bes/cheapest place to get drivers door wind motor and is it same as surfs back window motor as looks same on e bay ads.

Also any idea on solving turbo red light flashing only very occasionally

####################################################################

Regards

Vorn
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 23:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Ian-P

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vorn,

I have been running my Landcruiser on WVO using a twin tank system via a heat exchanger.

I'm no expert, but  thought I'd share my experience with you, as I'd hate you to go through the same problems as myself.

The rough running you experience on start up is ( I think) due to your fuel pump struggling to cope with the high viscosity of the WVO. I'm told that in the long term, the fuel pump will suffer damage, but if you cut it with diesel to a point where this cavitation stops, you'll probably be okay.

The other problem is that when veg oil dries, it's like a hard varnish. You might be slowly gumming your piston rings up, and leaving yourself vulnerable to oil polymerisation.

I'm in the closing stages of an engine rebuild, after having exactly that happen to my engine. The engine has been rebored, and now has a re-con turbo, new main and big end bearings, new main thrust washers, new cam bearing, new cam thrust washer, re-con injectors, rebuilt fuel pump, new timing case seals, new oil stem seals, new valve shims and gaskets.

I would think that any money I saved by running on  WVO, hads been lost in the re-build! I'm still not sure whether the rings on my Landcruiser gummed up over the +/_ 2 years I've been running her on WVO, or if it was down to a 4 month period when I was doing loads of short journeys, and probably switching tanks too early.

The trouble is that there are loads of experts out there, but I've yet to find a definitive answer. The only way I'll ever really know the truth, is to strip my engine down after an extended period running on WVO. I don't plan on removing my engine, stripping and rebuilding it on my drive again!! Once I get the engine back in, I'll definately be running her in on diesel, and then I'm seriously thinking of converting all my WVO to Bio Diesel.

See my thread on OIL POLYMERISATION, and proceed with caution!!

By the way, I'm not far from Bournemouth, so if you fancy having a look before I get the engine back in, you are welcome to come round!

Regards, Ian.
nathanrobo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 18:31    Post subject: Veg Oil Reply with quote

Guys,

I've used a very low concentration of BioDiesel (20%) and only on a few occasions.  To cut a long story short looks like my fuel pump may have 'partied out'.  You guys got any recommendations for a reasonable company to rebuild my pump.  From what I can tell it's a Denso fly by wire variety.

Regards

Nathan
nathanrobo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 18:32    Post subject: Veg Oil Reply with quote

Guys,

I've used a very low concentration of BioDiesel (20%) and only on a few occasions.  To cut a long story short looks like my fuel pump may have 'partied out'.  You guys got any recommendations for a reasonable company to rebuild my pump.  From what I can tell it's a Denso fly by wire variety.

Regards

Nathan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: