2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Auto box lock up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deltafive

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 18:52    Post subject: Auto box lock up Reply with quote

Has anybody fitted a lock up switch to an A340 auto box in an LC120 V6. The Shogun I ran before had one which was very usefull towing.
The 120 is quite high geared and any small incline towing will disengage the lockup  the only remedy is to shift into 3rd which revs the engine and kills the economy.

Dave
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 18:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

marlot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really sure what you're after.

I just put mine in 4th (as recommended in the manual) and tow.
deltafive

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply

I guess you have a later 5 speed box with different ratios,  mine is a 4 speed A340 and  50 mph in 4th is 1600 rpm in third it is 2500rpm that becomes very tiring on a long run. The Shogun I had before had a "Hold" switch which retained 4th gear down to 30 mph. It is not heavy towing or long steep hills but normal undulating cruising with a trailer about 1 tonne that is a problem.
In case you are not sure all the "hold" does is to lock out the torque convertor giving a direct drive and improving economy, many vehicles have a sport mode or 2nd start or hold but not current Landcruisers.

Dave
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2005 LC5 has a '2nd Start' but all that does is prevent you starting off in 1st (or low).  Great when using low range as you don't hurtling off like a Patriot missile, then have a huge lurch when it changes up to 2nd about 5m on ...  Wink
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a 120 but if the set up is anything like the 80 and 100 series you just need to find out which wire controls the lock up solenoid and break into it, possibly at the gearbox ECU which for 80's is just above the brake pedal. I put a manual lock up switch on my 80 and as you say they're very useful.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
deltafive

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildsmith

The 80 series uses the larger version but works the same way as the A340 auto. a few queries-

Did you just use a plain switch or with a relay?
What speed did the lockup  release or did it hold all gears - including first?
Where did you take the new live feed from?

Cheers

Dave
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a relay for convenience, it was one less wire to run to the switch I mounted on the shifter. I also wired a warning light so I could see when I'd got the TC manually locked.

Which gears it will lock up in depends on your valve body but you probably won't get 1st, 2nd or R lock up if the 80 is anything to go by. I had an Extreme valve body from Rodney in aus on my 80 and could lock it up in any gear and if I forgot to unlock it would stall the engine when I stopped! If you wire a manual lock up you need to remember to unlock it across gear changes or they will be harsh and stress the box and TC because the ECU will think it has unlocked it. I forgot loads of times and didn't destroy the box but it can't have been good for it.

I can't remember where I took the power feed from, possibly under the bonnet where the 80 has an aux power box with +ve, aux & ign fused terminals to pick up on. Any positive feed would do really.

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
deltafive

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info

I have picked up on the aussie link, those guys seem to know their autos and sell a kit to hold the gears I will order their wiring to do the job

cheers

Dave
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum member jvoelcker @ Overland Cruisers is the UK agent for Wholesale Automatics and he should already have an order in with them for someone else  Wink

93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
deltafive

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted the lockup switch and it works great, it will hold the gear much longer and works on all gears except first.
Should make long distance towing much better.
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deltafive,

Any info on that you can pass on. I would be interested as I have the same 'box as you on my '04 LC120
deltafive

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuclear Chicken wrote:
Deltafive,

Any info on that you can pass on. I would be interested as I have the same 'box as you on my '04 LC120

HI
Where is cloudy cookoo land anyway

Had to go to Oz for the lockup kit, fitting was straight forward and works as it should but no long term experience yet, ask me again in the spring. Mine is a 4.0l running on LPG  and whatever I find may not apply to a diesel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: