All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

first landcruiser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad dode

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 22:24    Post subject: first landcruiser Reply with quote

hi folks, Very Happy

can`t wait till monday ,pick up a 98 prado ,it`s like new and has only done 20k, had a pajero wich was cool ,but fancied a change ,its gr8t to find that this club is also run by simon (you can give me that £20 later si) Wink .
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 22:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

k1elliott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi m8.
You'll soon find out that its very quiet on this forum. But welcome, if I am in a position to welcome you tthat is ;)

an 8 year old car with 20k miles? Sounds good, very good, a bit too good. Import or domestic?

K
mad dode

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep it is a little quiet ,compared to the pocuk but then again this is just a new club ,as for my new car like you say a little to good to be true ,just found out its got 35k on the clock but the guy says thats km (yeh right)still its a first class motor and i,ll post some pics as soon as i get a mo ,cheers for the welcome k1 elliot Very Happy
mad dode

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeh sorry its a 1999 import : Wink
k1elliott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

35 is still very low.
Unless you can prove the mileage, you're better off being safe than sorry - change the timing belt unless its been done by the importer.
Cruisers have belt timing unlike the 2.8 mitsu.

later,
k
mad dode

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

no service history available to say if it has Crying or Very sad dealer says no need for a replacement as it only needs done after 100,000klms and there is a warning on dash when it gets to that kind of mileage Rolling Eyes ,still as you say better safe than sorry Laughing theres a garage 5mins from me who does the local import traders servicing ,he says pop the motor down so he can see what belt it needs ,order it in and it should,t be any more than £60,worth it at least for the peace of mind,cheers k for the info Wink
k1elliott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice wun.
Mine had no service H either and pretty low mileage at 65k kilometers. I'm a cynic so I got the belt done - low cost for high peace of mind!

Out of interest, how long does yours take to start in the morning?
How many times does it turn over before firing? How long does the glower lamp on the dash stay lit before going out? How long do you wait if any before trying to start after the lamp has gone out?

I ask because mine seems to be getting progressively worse - not sure if its related to the weather getting slowly colder or some sort of degradation of the glow plugs or both. Cheers for feedback.

Rgds.,
Ken
mad dode

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

starting from overnight cold 2 turns, starting seems very responsive Very Happy .
k might be worth checking the diesels akillies heel the glow plugs Wink its around about this time of year the motor starts to rely on them Rolling Eyes as for the gplight it stays on for approx 2 secs Surprised
k1elliott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, mine goes out faster than fast thing. might be the control/relay unit. think its the yoke under the drivers seat.
mine is definitely a poor starter but had nothing to compare against.
time to take the intercooler off!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: