Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

China ~ fao vette?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimbo4x4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 21:49    Post subject: China ~ fao vette? Reply with quote

Hi all, as some may know my ambition is to drive around the globe... the way things are going I should be able to get things in motion for a start in 3 years time. I'm currently still head scratching over a feasable route, I know I want to do Mongolia and far S.E Asia, but there's an incomprehensibly huge barrier blocking the two....

After scouring the web I have found a site that says Chinese overland border crossings can be "fun". I'm not sure whether their sarcasm is lost on me Rolling Eyes

Basically I'm just looking for some advice. I'd like to enter from Mongolia, see the great wall then make a beeline for Tibet, and exit into Nepal. Does anyone know the driving restrictions for a UK car and licence? Any recommendations of places to see/stay/things to do? How an@l are the officials?

Many thanks for any help

With great power comes great responsibility. That's why I have a 2.4!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 21:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever watched 'Long Way Round'   Razz  Razz
ignat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo,

You might already know about it, but if not, be sure to check out Horizons Unlimited

LOADS of overlanding information.   Especially the

Route Planning section and the Northern Asia section will answer a few questions.

Its mainly geared towards bikers, but there is a 4x4 section as well  Very Happy   The route planning and area sections apply to everyone really

uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jimbo,

In 6 months in China, I have seen just 1 UK registered vehicle.
I think the total count of foreign vehicles is maybe 2 or 3.
I don't know where the other 2 were from, but not Chinese, and not UK.
I would like to say it was a 'cruiser, but is was cough, cough, one of them cough, cough, green, cough cough oval, things.
Loads of extras, the bull bar was wrapped diagonally, side to side,  with what looked like 2 inch old hemp rope,
Roof tent, snorkel, didn't look very road worthy, reasonably battered, so it fitted in well he, he, he, he,
Just passing while we were traveling in the opposite direction, so only a shortest of glances.

'vette
Jimbo4x4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys.

Ignat, I'll take a look at that site now, sounds like it'll be much like Travellers Point, which I have been using to glean info from.

Gav, I have the DVD mate, and long way down, and by any means Razz you might say I'm a bit Charley Boorman obsessed!

'vette, 3 foriegn cars in 6 months isn't exactly reassuring! could be why I haven't found anyone else who's gone overland through China! How have you found it with regards to attitudes to foriegners?

uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo4x4 wrote:
Thanks for the input guys.

Ignat, I'll take a look at that site now, sounds like it'll be much like Travellers Point, which I have been using to glean info from.

Gav, I have the DVD mate, and long way down, and by any means Razz you might say I'm a bit Charley Boorman obsessed!

'vette, 3 foreign cars in 6 months isn't exactly reassuring! could be why I haven't found anyone else who's gone overland through China! How have you found it with regards to attitudes to foreigners?

I spent time in Shanghai, and no one gives you a second look, you are not special
I spent 5 months in Yantai, very few foreigners, outside the shipyard, you might see 1 a day.

The friendliness of the people in Yantai is overwhelming, and certainly a place I could live.
The whole nature and attitude of the people is different.
By comparison, Shanghai is a big city, like nothing you could imagine.
You are flying over it for ages, before you land, there about 25million city folk, but onlu 19 million registered.

Yantai, on the other hand is a small Chinese city, with only 7 million people.
The actual city part of Yantai has maybe 2 million, and the rest is suburban folk.

So what I am trying to say is, generally the do like the foreigners very much, and they go out of their way to make you feel welcome and also safe.

I would have absolutely no hesitation in a travel passage, what so ever.

'vette
Jimbo4x4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 'vette that's really helpful. It's a place I don't know much about hence the topic. I'll probably fit it into my route as mentioned above Smile Thanks again.

uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo4x4 wrote:
Thanks 'vette that's really helpful. It's a place I don't know much about hence the topic. I'll probably fit it into my route as mentioned above Smile Thanks again.

Hi Jimbo,

I am sure if you get up to Yantai then I can almos guarantee you would have your eyes , well and truly opened.

I can't say that about all China, as it is just so diverse, but the place I was at, well, I could easily live there.

Cool place

Go for It.

'vette
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find some useful information here

http://www.tibettravelplanner.com/travel_permit.htm

I think generally travel in Tibet is more difficult than just through China although may be getting easier. Also depends how you reach Tibet (from what direction). You will need additional permits above Chinese Visa, you will need a Tibet Travel Permit, a Military permit for more remote areas and a Tibet Permit. Most of these you may find diffuclt to get without booking a tour. A way to do it may be to arrange with a travel company to provide a "Driver" who would be your passenger throughout your stay and a general Fixer. I think if you look at Long way round this is pretty much how Charlie and Ewan would have had to do it in Mongolia and Kazakhstan and Tibet probably works in a similar way. A call to the Chinese embassy in London http://www.chinese-embassy.org.uk/eng/ may well help that aspect of it.

I'd love to do the route that they did in Long Way Round - although at the right time of year as I don't think a Cruiser could manage some of those rivers in the east of Russia when they are at full flow. Maybe one of these days if I win the Lottery.
nomad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jimbo i've just come across your posting.in china you'll find that one of the requirment for driving through china with a vehicle is that you need a guide who joins you when you enter the country and stays with you 24/7 through the whole drive till you exit at other side.very expensive and not enjoyable all i imagine.
   as for mongolia and the rest of the stans(kazak,uzbec,etc.).they are very easy,you dont even need a carnet,visa are easy to get in london (turkminstan being the hardest,mongolia the easiet

i hope this helps you,i drove to mongolia in 2007 in a 1988 nissan sunny that when i put it up for sale the most i was offered was 50 pounds.the only mods i did was put new shocks (4 for £60,£ 27 clutch,4x3ply 13in van tyres pumped up to 40psi.got to u.b. the capital of mongolia in 27 days with couple of little breakages. getting the exhaust welded in kazakstan and front offside shock giving up in mongolia. the garage modified a 2ndhand hyundai item and stuck it in.
    mongolia was the hardest,with no roads, just dirt track wondering off in so many confusing directions not a signpost any where.
Jimbo4x4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks nomad, that's really helpful. I suppose if we're planning to camp it might be a bit awkward with a guide, will have to give it some thought.

Looks like we're going to have to split the trip into a few smaller ones now though as my girlfriends just been given a promotion at work and we think it'll be best not to burn any bridges for some time to come. She's allowed to take 3 weeks holiday at a time, enough to do a decent trip anywhere if we ship the car out first. Driving the world in one continuous loop will always be an ambition, might just have to wait a bit longer before making it happen now..

uk_vette
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working on getting a Chinese driving licence.
I have an address I can use, so I am half way there.
I will be allowed a translator, so effectivly, the translator is doing the test for me.
Then when the translator passes the theorey, I can go and do a practical.
Its all left hand drive here, just like Europe and teh States.

The driving test is in Chinese, much the same as uk.
The questions is 100 on a computer touch screen.
No hazard perception yet though.
You need 90 minimum to pass.
Then, just like UK, you can start to apply for lessons.
Oh, and yes, they have the 'de-merit' points here also on your licence for violations.
Speeding etc, and the top is again 12 points just like UK.
How strange is that !!!!

'vette
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Laning / Offroading / Overlanding All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: