All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Got new tyres,* small review**

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xpro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:20    Post subject: Got new tyres,* small review** Reply with quote

Well, im on my 3rd set of tyres now and i decided not to go for OEM Dunlop Grandtreks AT 20 anymore as they are utter rubbish. Initally i decided to go with Dunlop at20 as thats what was on the car originaly, but the grip was very bad, and the wear on the outter wall was very poor. These tyres just couldnt handle the car, in the wet they are so slippy and in the winter time (snow or ice) they are lethal. Im not even gonna say what they like when offroading.. Ok tire if you only do motorway driving, but thats all.

I went for Michelins Cross Terrain, and i must say im very very happy with them so far, considering it is winter here and  theres loads of ice and snow, they handle superb. I can feel the difference when driving, they grip very well in almost all conditions and they are also very quiet at motorway speeds. I went up the mountains last week where i usually go every year when its snowing, and compare to last year i was able to go where i couldnt even dream of with dunlops as the car was just spining even i 4low.

Anyone else running these tyres? whats your opinion

thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

marlot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costco sell these, but didn't have any in stock for me to have a look at.

I wasn't sure whether the tread would work sufficiently well in light mud - is it chunkier than the AT20s, or similar?
thor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this  http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Cross-Terrain.htm

I was also asking in Costco about the tyres, funny thing was, they said they did em, but had none to show.

I say looking at the tread pattern...it does not appear much different from Grandtrecks.......I will be getting a better AT tyre when needed unfortunately I will be looking at all 5...just need to start saving AGAIN  Smile

Land Cruiser LC3 D-4D Auto 2002
General Grabbers At2
Shovel
thor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Cross-Terrain.htm

is that better

General Grabbers At2
Shovel
xpro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the tread is much bigger and its more of square type tyre compare to dunlops which are more of a roundy tyre.
They appear to be little bit softer aswell.
Was out all day in snow today, and i the grip is just excellent.

[img][/img]

xpro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry ,
dont mind the first picture, i cant edit my threads

marlot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other costco alternative was the michelin latitude cross, which they claimed was more of an all-terrain tyre.  Not quite convinced myself.
thor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I am not conviced.......I was recently in the sticky stuff, and was doing great til some numpty stopped me and asked if I was going to park exactly where I was heading to....that was it, Grandtrecks stuffed with mud....now driving on slicks......it took two runs at it after that....so I know that I need a better tread for when the numptys want to stop me.
[Best of it was this was someone who works on a farm...should know better...ruddy complexion and all that mud  Laughing ]

General Grabbers At2
Shovel
xpro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandtreks are generaly good for tarmac use but thats about it.
Any sort of offroad material they just cant handle it, they get stuffed and turned into slicks as you said.
The other option i had was General Graber UHP, they were slightly cheaper tyre with excellent reviews, but i dont know if that was only caused they were one of the better budget tyres, so people rated them high
thor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got to say that to date the grandtreks have been okay in the snow and ice that we have been getting.....my only concern when out is the other drivers.
Having said that, I will definitely be getting a more suitable tyre for my lifestyle.

General Grabbers At2
Shovel
Crispin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

thor wrote:
I have got to say that to date the grandtreks have been okay in the snow and ice that we have been getting.....my only concern when out is the other drivers.
Having said that, I will definitely be getting a more suitable tyre for my lifestyle.

I have to agree. While they may not be the best, I really don't think they are as bad as some say.
In the snow, I have yet to find somewhere where I cannot pull off (not going to say that won't happen!) but normally, with varying amounts of help from CD / traction control etc, it's been good (and fun Smile  ) so far.
My two rear have about 40% remaining, the fronts are almost brand new, the spare has yet to go round. I may rotate back and front and when they all worn, get something else.

Certainly not worth throwing them away / selling at a great loss "just 'cause" (IMO at least)

The only "issue" I had was at Salisbury on the grass "slope". I am sure something like Gary's STT would have been fine, not convinced though that anything less would not have suffered the same. Maybe the fact that everyone drove off and left me there contradicts that?  Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 120 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: