NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Replacement head unit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 18:34    Post subject: Replacement head unit Reply with quote

Here's one to think about for the 120:

http://cgi.e bay.com/Advanced-2-Din-Car-DVD-GPS-Navi-for-Toyota-Prado_W0QQitemZ250378459968QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Video_Navigation?hash=item3a4bb81b40&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A3|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50#e bay

Sorry - you'll need to copy that out and stick it in a new tab on your browser  Crying or Very sad

Just read some of the blurb:

# High Quality: Made by a very famous manufacturer in China, extended warranty: 2 years!
# 7" TFT high-definition Digital LCD Screen, 800*480 resolutions!(2,650,000 color), support 4:3, 16:9 and full screen display!
# Specially Designed for Toyota Prado. No gap with original dashboard after installation.
# Convulsed timbre and enjoy all your journey
# Built-in TPMS(Tire pressure monitor system), Optional( extra 220usd is needed to get this function)
# iPOD Ready, Steering wheel control, CDC port,  TF Card slot for GPS and music files(support up to 16GB TF Card!).
# Completely Dual Zone Playback, you can run the gps application while listening to Radio/CD/DVD/music in TF Card/USB device

WTF is 'convulsed timbre'  Shocked  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 18:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Crispin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

you neverheard of convulsed timbre? it's that famous chinese wock band. they are awesome!
PtP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Gary, You might have a search on www.alibaba.com for the manufacturer. I did a quick search and came up with this: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/241145123/Toyota_Prado_DVD_player_GPS_Navi.html - it looks identical! I’m not sure they are the manufacturer though, but the more you search, the nearer you’ll get. Wink
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Fortunately I don't want to replace my current head unit - works fine for my needs, and the LC5 is pretty advanced anyway - and I have absolutely no desire to watch DVDs on that little screen  Laughing

The less to go wrong, the better - and I have yet to trust the knock-off type stuff from PRoC - I'm sure there is good stuff coming out of there ('vette overseeing some of it no doubt  Wink ), but they're still mostly in the area Japan was in the 60's when anything that said 'Made in Japan' was immediately suspect  Wink
cir287

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enquired a while back about a few of these Chinese ones and actually bought one in the end, the price seemed too good to be true and thats exactly what it was. This one was made "specially for landcruiser" and it did fit fine. The sat nav worked a treat, it was very good, as did the dvd player, EVERYTHING else was rubbish. The functionality of the unit was so basic. simple things like no RDS, no memory on the ipod control so when you changed function and then returned to the ipod it took 1 min to start up and you then had to choose menu etc.
Luckily for me there was a fault with the unit and had to send it back at which time I asked for a refund and to my surprise they gave it. I bought the unit on e bay and had not left feedback yet. I had checked feedback before I bought, all was excellent. When my unit was delivered I got a mail from the seller stating that if I gave a glowing reference within 2 days they would refund me £10, who gets the unit fitted within 2 days ???
anyway the next unit I buy will be from a reputable manufacturer - Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood etc, etc.

also beware of units "made special for landcruiser", mine is an '07 LC3 and most of those shown on e bay will not fit my dash. LC4 & 5 may be different.
Crispin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed they took it back and refunded you. I don't have a problem buying something from Halfords becase if there is a problem, I can go back and shout at them. You are a braver man than I to spend that kind of money on something from the east.

Bit dodgy on the feedback note as well...

Thanks for the heads up though.
cir287

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

unit cost was ~£300 for full sat nav, touch screen etc.
normally I am very dubious of things like this, but thought how bad could it be.
If it seems to good to be true then it generally is.
equivalent "proper make" model would be more like £1,000.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> ICE , Radios and Sat-Navs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: