NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

no swr

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Radio communications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 16:13    Post subject: no swr Reply with quote

Hi all,hope someone can help with this one.recently installed cb setup,cb powers up,tx rx lights work when mike keyed channel change works,but cannot get any swr readings at all.double checked all connections, nothing but skip on all 40, ant. is centre load 24" mini mag have also tried 48"modulator ant with mag mount both direct to roof so should be good ground plane.cannot understand why no swr readings whatsoever.hopefully someone will!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 16:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Crispin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the meter not broken? If you wobble it, can you see the needle move?
Are you sure you are transmitting? Never mind the lights, someone confirmed they can hear you? Might have popped the tx
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 19:09    Post subject: Re: no swr Reply with quote

Tractionman wrote:
Hi all,hope someone can help with this one.recently installed cb setup,cb powers up,tx rx lights work when mike keyed channel change works,but cannot get any swr readings at all.double checked all connections, nothing but skip on all 40, ant. is centre load 24" mini mag have also tried 48"modulator ant with mag mount both direct to roof so should be good ground plane.cannot understand why no swr readings whatsoever.hopefully someone will!

Hi tractionman

There is so many things that could be a cause, but as chrispin says is a couple.

Have you got the correct meter, and is wired correctly ?

Please tell what meter you have, and how you have connected it.

And we can poss help

Radiotwo
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for quick reply lads.meter is K-PO new from truck king and needle does move when meter wobbled so not stuck.wired as per instructions for ant. and cb.swapped around just in case wrong but still no swr reading.meter could be faulty i suppose but who knows. have emailed truck king, awaiting reply but one of those chicken and egg things i dont know if faulty and normally suppliers wont admit fault,we shall see! just thought it might be something down to me but keep those suggestions coming.thanks
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue - make sure, if the radio is a 'European model' that you've got it switched to the UK frequencies - I hadn't  Embarassed

And it's on AM or FM or whatever it's supposed to be  Embarassed
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you got the top slide switch on FWD and the bottom one on PWR? Have you got your CB on a UK FM or Euro channel as e.g. a French AM channel probably wouldn't register anything either?

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Tractionman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rig is a danita 240,. fm only.presume uk, has quality tested stamp in english on back. meter has calibration knob and fwd / ref switch.cannot seem to recieve anything,just loads of skip and no reply to anything out going.all this has got me going!!
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

just found out there are two approved uk frequencies. C.E.P.T. 26.965-27.405 and U.K. 27-81,the former is E.U.band,but both for uk use. looks like the rig i have is not in popular use here and the reason i can get no swr is antenna is not compatable with this rigs frequency,what do you guys think? i am lost!!
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Return the unit for a refund if you can and get one that you can work with?  Sorry, not much of an answer, I know ...
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tractionman wrote:
just found out there are two approved uk frequencies. C.E.P.T. 26.965-27.405 and U.K. 27-81,the former is E.U.band,but both for uk use. looks like the rig i have is not in popular use here and the reason i can get no swr is antenna is not compatable with this rigs frequency,what do you guys think? i am lost!!

Hi Again

You should still get some meter  movement ! even if it was on a piece of wet string,
but as Gary says return to store and get it sorted  

Radiotwo
Tractionman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for comments guys,tried with set up again today and on channel 26 picked up faint foreign chat! could be foreign truckers on nearby dual carraigeway?anyway still not much use.might as well forget trying for refund as would have to pay return shipping and if they say not faulty have to pay to get back.will get on to truck king again as no reply to my answer of what cb i have.i will have to find someone local with swr meter to try process of elimination,then i will know for sure.
Crispin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stop trying until you have a known good swr meter. If you have a short / open circuit in your coax, you'll be putting your transmitter through a world of pain.

Not sure if 27MHz will do it (I do not think so) but if you key a VHF radio next to a fluorescent bulb, it'll ignite. Was a "party trick" way to see if your radio is working.
Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 15:00    Post subject: no swr Reply with quote

Tried reconnecting setup today and i have swr.....got nice low readings after playing with antenna.dont know what happened,did nothing different than before!! still no tx/rx,though.i think its because of these two different wavebands in uk i spoke about before and i have got set with the waveband no one uses.dont know what else to think...perhaps wave the white flag on this one!
RADIOTWO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 16:01    Post subject: Re: no swr Reply with quote

Tractionman wrote:
Tried reconnecting setup today and i have swr.....got nice low readings after playing with antenna.dont know what happened,did nothing different than before!! still no tx/rx,though.i think its because of these two different wavebands in uk i spoke about before and i have got set with the waveband no one uses.dont know what else to think...perhaps wave the white flag on this one!

How can you have a SWR with no TX ?

Radiotwo

PS You have a PM
Tractionman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 19:53    Post subject: no swr Reply with quote

sorry, what i meant was key mike and tx light comes on but get no replies for rig check on various channels, so am assuming i am not getting through?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Radio communications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: