Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

The mystery of the leaning BJ/FJ 40 series...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cruzerboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 23:16    Post subject: The mystery of the leaning BJ/FJ 40 series... Reply with quote

3 out of the 4 cruisers I have owned have had a lean to the left and the rear. It is noticable when standing on level ground. This is a well known phenomenon, but I have not seen a good explanation of why it occurs. There is a fix: a 3-4" steel plate 3/8" thick the width of the spring and placed on top of the spring makes the vehicle level again. HFS springs out of the States include this spacer as part of their spring for the 40 series. But anyway, what about the cause?

I have read about about engineers stipping down cruisers to determine the cause. I think I may have it. First I looked for any asymmetry in the chassis and power train etc... Of course the transmission hub on the rear axle is offset considerably to the right (as you look towards the front of the vehicle). It seems a bit obvious to me that the left rear wheel will more easily 'lift' as it passes over a rock, curb, log or other obstacle. A significant and asymmetric mechanical advantage is delivered against the transmission hub and therefore a greater strain is experienced by the rear left spring when off road (or in normal use). Does this make any sense?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 23:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the main causes is the weight of the driver ,which causes it to lean right. New springs are labelled L and R but many dont know and fit them the wrong way round.
Another cause of left lean(my theory) is that the left wheel hits more pot holes and goes offroad more often when you pull over.

Another one is that it is near impossible to get 2 lots of spring packs to have exactly the same load carrying abilty.

Other causes can be from abuse where the vehicle lands heavily on one side or has been loaded with too much on one side.
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
rodger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't be anything to do with the low down torque applied over many thousands of miles, would it?

Rodger
BJ40 with HJ60 running gear
Sean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

roscoFJ73 wrote:
One of the main causes is the weight of the driver ,which causes it to lean right.

one solution is to eat less pies.
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean wrote:
roscoFJ73 wrote:
One of the main causes is the weight of the driver ,which causes it to lean right.

one solution is to eat less pies.

Or get a fatter girlfriend as ballast
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
Jimbo4x4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodger wrote:
Wouldn't be anything to do with the low down torque applied over many thousands of miles, would it?

Rodger
BJ40 with HJ60 running gear

This is the known cause of the same problem on Suzuki SJ's

I realise the irony of "low down torque" and "suzuki sj" in the same post, but the sj cart springs really are very soft, heavy duty springs are needed to slow the process down by a decent margin

With great power comes great responsibility. That's why I have a 2.4!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: