All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Information on Batteries - 1991 Prado 2.4 Diesel Automatic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smifffy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 13:50    Post subject: Information on Batteries - 1991 Prado 2.4 Diesel Automatic. Reply with quote

I posted earlier regarding a faulty battery for a 1991 Prado 2.4 Diesel Automatic.

I rang Halfords and they told me that the vehicle takes two batteries.

I definately see only one under the bonnet. Could the second battery be anywhere else?

Currently the battery is a 12v but a Toyota dealer told me that some have a 24v system ???

Can anybody shed some light on this? And also recommend somewhere in Sussex that sells batteries at a keen price?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 13:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

k1elliott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the Prado was 96 - 00?

Anyway, my one has one battery only at 12v.

I know that some jap models have 2 batteries for cold starting etc. That doesn't mean that you have to replace 2 at a time.

Whats the chassis code on your LC?
Smifffy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, I didn't want to spend money on the wrong battery.

I bought this vehicle through my mechanic, a personal friend who recommended it because he knew the vehicle. Although old, it is exceptionally clean. It is a locally imported vehicle declared manufactured in 1991 on the log book. Imported from Japan.

Doesn't say Prado on the vehicle or the logbook but it is identical to Prados that I have seen floating about.

It is a nice drive for £2,650. Thought about a Defender but put that off intending to get some years out of this TLC when it came to my attention. Couldn't turn it down at that money - Five new tyres and new shock absorbers.

The chassis number begins L78.
simonjz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 18:54    Post subject: Batteries Reply with quote

Smiffy,

Halfords have probably qouted you for the Amazon batteries. They take 2 for the 24v starter motor - and I have just replaced both of them at silly money. If the chassis number is what you quoted, then your machine only takes one.

Hope this helps.
Simon
Smifffy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:42    Post subject: Bloody Blimey!!! Reply with quote

Never guess!

Went in to Halfords to buy a new battery for the TLC and bothered to get the young lady to put the battery tester on the old one before ripping it out. It checked out 100%.

The night before I noticed that the CD player lights were on even though ignition was off and the vehicle was parked on the drive. I was now convinced that the player was correctly installed.

One of the engineers came out to check it out and spent a half hour wiring the main power into the 'ignition-on only' circuit and left just the presets on 'always-on' power.

Gave the guy £15 notes for his trouble, better than a £72 battery.

Good chance this is what has been draining the battery, fingers crossed.

PS (Thanks Simon for your info, it all helped)
JakeVS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 0:05    Post subject: Re: Bloody Blimey!!! Reply with quote

Hi Smiffy

If the Prado in the avatar is yours... it looks like mine, which is a 1990 EX5 (LJ78) 2.4TD Automatic. Mine has two batteries as can be seen here:

http://www.decarsus.com/IMAGES/LCPRADOEX5/2.jpg

Not the best pic though.

It would be strange if such similar models have this difference. Apparantly mine is wired in parallel.

For interest sake, here's a Japanese page with loads of different models of Prados (scroll down a bit). All look very similar.

http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~akkiy/prado/70PRADO-D2.htm

ciao
Jake
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: