Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Trayback build

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mick the digger!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish somone would run into my 100 so I could chop it up! Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 20:23    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Graham Stirling

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a little bit more done tonight.

Graham Stirling

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a fairly dry couple of hours today.

Graham Stirling

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold but glorious day yesterday so got a few good hours in. Nearly ready to go to the spray shop. Hopefully it'll be watertight within a couple of weeks as the seats were soaked after all the rain last week and are now sitting in my living room drying out.

I'm starting to think about the tray now. I was thinking about something similar to this but with a second tube surround set about 6 inches above the tray. I'm open to ideas though..

Link
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming along nicely now Graham.  Getting green here Smile

The tray on the u-tube video was nice - right size tube IMHO but I would make it way shorter so that the rear wheels end with the back of the tray...

If you need any inspiration/ideas, have a thrutchel through this site in Oz - Offroad 80's - there's loads of traybacks on there Smile

Keep the updates coming!!!
Graham Stirling

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Gavlad.

I'm not sure how short to make the tray yet as it's not going to be an all out offroader/challenge truck, more an expedition truck of sorts. I recon it'll look front heavy if i shorten the tray too much. I might shorten the chassis right up to the wheels then put a longer tray over as it shouldn't affect the departure angle. Don't know yet.

The plan is to get the cab built and sprayed, suspension and wheels on, tray built and fitted, then all the add-ons like bumpers and bar work.

Have to concentrate on other things over the next couple of weeks so i doubt i'll get much time on it before December. Would like to be MOT'd by March, maybe not finished but road legal!
Graham Stirling

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavlad wrote:
If you need any inspiration/ideas, have a thrutchel through this site in Oz - Offroad 80's - there's loads of traybacks on there Smile

Cheers dude, not sure what a thrutchel is but had a good neb, great site and looks friendly. G
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thrutchel sounds much like a neb Wink

No worries - its quite a pleasant little site isn't it??  Perhaps we should try & organise some sort of 'twinnng' with them, y'know, along the lines of towns/villages...  'You are now entering Higginsbottom, twinned with Kloinsville, Alabamha...'
Graham Stirling

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

After weeks of *beep* weather i got a couple of days at it this week.

I managed to get the back end stripped and the chassis shortened. The cab is almost done but there's a fair bit of welding left to do, mainly inside.

I had planned to swap the axle for the spare i bought last year but i only properly looked at this week and found that the spare is an early type without abs and smaller discs so no good for this truck. Stripped the original axle and had it blasted and zinked today but it was too hot to pick up this avo as it had just come out of the oven. I had the bushes pressed out of the trailing and radius arms so dropped them in for blasting and powder coating. Hopefully should get the axle case and arms back tomorrow.

I have a set of milners polly bushes waiting to go in and i should get the gaskets i need for the axle friday. If the weather is ok over the weekend then i should have the back end together with the lift kit.

Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good now Graham - I like the way you've done the chop, looks fabulous dahling Wink  Puts those Aussie boys to shame Smile

Keep it moving along now Wink

Cheers
Graham Stirling

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Gavlad.

Only problem i am having now is that everything i take off is goosed. Trying to get hold of a load level brake proportioning valve and a set of rear caliper pistons. I'm not sure of the history of this car but I recon it must have been used in a salt mine.
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sentiment could be applied to any car that sees mileage during the winters in the UK non?  Wink

Hey, did you ever manage to sell that saw mill of yours?
Graham Stirling

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

True enough, road salt is a killer.

I found this place today http://www.kitek.co.uk/pages/index.html I spoke to the chap and he's happy to make a set of stainless pistons up. I've struggles getting hold of standard pistons for a reasonable price so kitek looks the way to go.

The web site says that they will do discounts for 5 or more sets. Anyone interested?

Haven't sold the mill yet but had a few offers, will let it go when i get the right money.
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

West Coast Offroad are already doing stainless pistons for 70 series calipers - he might have moved onto the 80 brakes by now...  Might be worth a call...
Graham Stirling

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Gavlad. Will bare them in mind for when i do the front calipers. Actually blew the pistons out of the rear calipers at work Monday and they are in very good nick, so i've just cleaned them up. They looked bad in the caliper so the dust seals have obviously done the job well. They'll be fine with new seals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: