4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Tyres : Difference between 'LT' and 'non-LT' ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Running gear / gearbox / suspension / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vagabond

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 0:11    Post subject: Tyres : Difference between 'LT' and 'non-LT' ? Reply with quote

I'be been looking at changing my 265/70R16 Dunlop AT20s (Front) and AT21s (rear) for a 265/75R16 "AT" type  tyre.

One of the tyres that caught my eye was the Hankook RF10 Dynapro AT (265/75R16 LT 123R TL) which can be bought from Camskill for just under £70 plus VAT.  Shocked   Though they are currently out of stock and won't have them back in for several weeks. These seem to get very good reviews, especially on various forums in the states and for roughly 1/2 the price of a BFG AT - you can't argue too much! But I digress.....

The main question I had was what would be the practical (i.e. on-road/off-road) differences between a "LT" rating and a "P" or "non-LT" rating? I appreciate it has something to do with the tyre construction and perhaps sidewall strength etc. but not sure how that would translate to the ride and handling? Are the actual compounds different?

I've read here that AT tyres give better cornering/handling than the Dunlop Grandtreks, due to their stiffer sidewalls but would that not imply that the (straight line) ride comfort of the Dunlops was better? So is it a compromise between between handling/ride comfort?

The price doesn't seem to be much different between the LT and non-LT; again using Camskills, I can find the Toyo Open Country AT in the following specs/prices.

265/75R16LT 119Q OWL TL TOYO OPEN COUNTRY AT ---- £82.86+VAT

265/75R16 114S OWL TL TOYO OPEN COUNTRY AT --------£84.29+VAT

As you can see the "LT" rated tyre is actually cheaper in this instance, though the speed rating is lower too.  So what are the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance, as always!  Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 0:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough I've been looking at these tonight as well since I found a bulged tyre today:

If you look at the bottom of the Camskill page you can do a compare. The differences are:

Load index: 114, 119 (LT)
Speed rating: S, Q(LT)
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

LT stands for Light Truck.

P stands for Passenger.

The tyre industry in general is saturated in various---and usually superfluous---nomenclator.

Tyres marked as "P" are usually metric sized and will comply with passenger tyre regulations. They will have less tread depth and grip in comparison to an LT tyre, and the sidewall and bead is usually weaker. It's all a matter of saving weight and cost.

Metric sized tyres have the LT marked in front of the sizing ie. LT265/75R16 whilst imperial sizes usually have it after ie. 31 x 10.50R15 LT.

With a tyre made specifically for 4x4 use and supplied by a reputable company the use of the designation LT is usually academic. The company will know what the tyre is to be used for and will design and construct it to suit.

Roger
Vagabond

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I did see the on-paper differences. However it was more the differences between the on-road ride/handling characteristics that I was interested in......especially as there seems to be a negligible price difference between the two variants.

My preferences currently are, in price order;

1. Hankook RF10 Dynapro AT ~ £70 each, £350 for a set of 5
2. Toyo Open Country AT ~ £85 each, £425
3. General Grabber AT2 ~ £95 each, £475
4. B.F. Goodrich AT ~ £125 each, £625

As you can see, there is more than £300 difference (when inc VAT) between the Hankooks and the BFGs - so not to be sniffed at.  

What I'd like is to make the handling a bit sharper (I'm also thinking about replacing shock/springs and steering bushes etc.) but don't want the ride to become too harsh.

Cheers,
Roger Fairclough

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

B.F.Goodrich are overpriced.

I have used General Grabber AT with no problems, although £95 sounds expensive.

I have no knowledge of the others you mention.

I use Yokohama Geolander M/T+ and accept a heightened degree of noise but surprisingly decent handling and fuel consumption.

The problem with buying tyres, is that no dealer will allow you to take them back if you don't like them.

To your list I would suggest you add the Yokohama Geolander A/T +2 (that's a Roman 2). Find a main dealer in your area for best prices.

At the end of the day it's all about sifting through the info. and making a choice. Going back afterwards is not an option.

Roger
AJS4X4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experiance the General AT2 works very well, use them and all my 4x4's.

Andy.
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just ordered GG AT2. National price matched what it would cost me to get them form Camskill and have them fitted. £108 each fitted for 4. Initially quoted £115, same as another local supplier. Saved me £25  Rolling Eyes
AJS4X4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice of tyre, you will be happy I am sure.

Andy.
Vagabond

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback........choices, choices.... Rolling Eyes  Confused
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJS4X4 wrote:
From my experiance the General AT2 works very well, use them and all my 4x4's.

Andy.

What sort of milage do you get out of them? Planning on rotating them at every oil change (5-6K miles)
AJS4X4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

About every 6K, last set on my wifes old LC5 gave us 38K with 4mm left, never like running tyres lower.

We are always trying and testing different tyres on 4x4's.

Andy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Running gear / gearbox / suspension / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: