Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

fuel treatment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goodoldboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:16    Post subject: fuel treatment Reply with quote

my 90 (1KZ-TE) is showing 140 000 and seems in good nick - so far .a mate recomended using forte diesel addative every 6 months to keep the injectors clean .as far as i can tell most diesel addatives contain kerosine & seem a bit pricey.what do you think? i was in the habit of putting 5% unleaded per tankfull in my hi-lux as recomende by an (old school)mechanic
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might work, but it might not and it might result in damage. The Forte stuff (and similar products) are more sophisticated and are unlikely to result in damage.

I tend to drive with a light right foot partly to save money on fuel and tyres and partly because that's how I drive (old/tired/grey hair). As a result, there is more of a risk of the injectors never getting cleaned. They burn clean when you drive fast. But pottering about with the engine idling a lot of the time doesn't do this.

So I use one of the branded injector cleaners every 6 months. i don't know if this is better than a good blast up a motorway.

Willy
aroscow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a little acetone, and atf?
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone somewhere said that a little 2 stroke oil per tank helped with FIP lube now sulphur has been removed from diesel , being an RD350 lc owner I have gallons of the stuff , I have added it to the tank a few times but noticed no difference , didn't even smell like a race bike  Crying or Very sad .
Towpack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also using a good quality 2 stroke oil in low concentrations. Youre unlikely to notice any immediate improvments withy any pump lube or sulphur substitute. It's a preventative measure to prevent pump wear in the long term. Even the the best quality synthetic 2 stroke oils work out much cheaper at the concentrations they're used at than the bespoke diesel additives.

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
goodoldboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suppose the petrol trick would also increase the temp. in the combustion chamber and might be a bit risky for the injector pump with less lubrication so will give the forte a go as fot 2T oil what mix are you using .p.s. 350 LC that brings back the  memories as well as a few shudders!
aroscow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

i add 4 litres of unleaded every 8th tankful.

i potter about in mine too, but have taken to giving it a thrash every once in a while - does run better afterwards.
Grimbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="goodoldboy"]i suppose the petrol trick would also increase the temp. in the combustion chamber and might be a bit risky for the injector pump with less lubrication so will give the forte a go as fot 2T oil what mix are you using ".p.s. 350 LC that brings back the  memories as well as a few shudders!"[/quote] Laughing  Laughing
I agree , you must be of a certain age then  Smile , had it about four years , realised I now am 1-2 stone heavyer , and about a million times more sensible , its now up for sale due to never having the time to ride it .... total miles last year ?  10 ! too and from the MOT , but that did include several wheelies  Cool
gokent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

replying to an old post here...

Toyota do their own brand injector cleaner and maintenance additive, just in case anyone finds this old thread Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: