Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Jimbo's LJ78 'Cruiser

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Readers Drives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gavlad
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey lookout, MUX is behind you Wink
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 22:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

African Drifter

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:09    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Great stuff!! Very Happy
tomahawk

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi , Great stuff , Just brought a lj98 myself , please let me know which safari snorkel you have fitted exact model no . Is it a direct fit.
what modifications have you done to iron out the heating issues thanks.

may the fours be with you.. Wink
Jimbo4x4

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rahul, I got your pm and have replied Smile

tomahawk wrote:
may the fours be with you.. Wink

I love this Laughing

With great power comes great responsibility. That's why I have a 2.4!
Jimbo4x4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick vid I threw together from Rex's recent saunter round the South Lakes:

Link

RGM-Master
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice vid but the song"please don't go breaking down" should be the sound track for a lawn roller shouldn't it????? Very Happy
Jimbo4x4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGM-Master wrote:
Nice vid but the song"please don't go breaking down" should be the sound track for a lawn roller shouldn't it????? Very Happy

Actually, the lyrics are "we don't go breaking down" and "we will never go breaking down", so quite apt I thought Laughing

Rich Sims

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great vid, did you use memorymap for your routes by any chance Laughing
100" trayback defender challenge vehicle sponsored by Devon 4x4
Jimbo4x4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Sims wrote:
Great vid, did you use memorymap for your routes by any chance Laughing

Sorry Rich, only just seen this. I used memory map and trailwise to research the routes, but paper landranger maps for actually driving them. Unless I'm arranging a big weekend-long laning trip I find the laptop too cumbersome to use practically. I might some day set up a laptop stand and/or mm sat-nav system which would probably be easier and completely hands-free but for now I'll stick with the maps on the shorter runs. I always carry the relavant maps anyway just incase something goes wrong with the computer, at least landranger maps can't have system errors! Laughing

wobbly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim

The mods you have made are some of the ones I had in mind, maybe I can pick your brains a bit.

Your wheel and tyre combination - is that a larger circumference than the standard wheel/tyre setup? If so, has it had any effect on the gearing or turning circle/wheel scrubbing?

The snorkel....from whom did this come?

I think I will aim for a canvas rooftent setup, this should avoid the condensation problem, have to start searching e bay!!

Can you recomend any offroad kit stockists, the non-LR mags tend to be a bit thin on ads. The LR mags are ok for general expedition kit, but not for Toyota spares....

Your exhaust....what were you getting mpg before the conversion - do you still reckon on 5mpg better?

Springs and shocks.....I was intending to aim for a 1"lift spring, but tbh just new springs will probably achieve this, the norm for uprated springs seems to be 2" - in relation to the shocks....if they are electronically stiffened, then replacing them with non standard parts seems a bad idea, as they must be a unique pattern?

Cheers

Pete
Jimbo4x4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

wobbly wrote:
Your wheel and tyre combination - is that a larger circumference than the standard wheel/tyre setup? If so, has it had any effect on the gearing or turning circle/wheel scrubbing?

The 265/75R16 tyres are a fair bit larger than standard, I think I have more than 3" more diameter with these, also the steel wheels are 2" wider than standard (16x8). I run them on a zero offset which keeps them just nicely inside the arches. There's no change in the turning circle, there is very slight scrubbing on the front trailing arms on full lock, it only happens when articulating and is nothing to worry about. As for gearing, there is a noticable change but I think the car adapts well to the larger rubber. I'm pretty sure my mpg wasn't affected by it and it's no less capable for it, it just does different speeds at different rpm's to before.

Quote:
The snorkel....from whom did this come?

Gepetto_auto on e bay. About £150 or so. Graham (uk_vette on here) might be able to source you one cheaper.

Quote:
I think I will aim for a canvas rooftent setup, this should avoid the condensation problem, have to start searching e bay!!

The condensation problem is fixed simply by leaving a window open a crack. I found it was just down to poor ventilation.

Quote:
Can you recomend any offroad kit stockists, the non-LR mags tend to be a bit thin on ads. The LR mags are ok for general expedition kit, but not for Toyota spares....

For spares, Milner 4x4, google them. They have most of the things you could possibly want at low prices, and for anything they don't have (or for bearings/seals - don't trust theirs) your Toyota main dealership should be able to sort you out. As for Toyota upgrades, Devon4x4 are in your neck of the woods Wink

Quote:
Your exhaust....what were you getting mpg before the conversion - do you still reckon on 5mpg better?

Depends on the roads and my driving style on the day. Before the exhaust though I never got over 26mpg, if I drive it right now I can get over 30mpg with a full roofrack. If I put my foot down too much though I can get as little as 18mpg from a tankful Crying or Very sad

Quote:
Springs and shocks.....I was intending to aim for a 1"lift spring, but tbh just new springs will probably achieve this, the norm for uprated springs seems to be 2" - in relation to the shocks....if they are electronically stiffened, then replacing them with non standard parts seems a bad idea, as they must be a unique pattern?

Do you have a switch in the centre console with "sport" and a picture of a shock absorber on it? As I understand they were an option and not all LJ78's got them. I'm now thinking of possibly making up some stud extensions as shock spacers to match some lifted springs, at least until one of these shocks die (they're uber expensive to replace) - then I'll get some longer aftermarket ones all round Wink

HTH,
Jim.

wobbly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

I will google the names you mentioned.

Drove the truck home today, there are a few buttons I dont recognise, will have a look in the daylight tomorrow and put up a list.

Dead pleased with it, cant wait to start some expedition planning.

pete
Jimbo4x4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since Rex was treated with some goodies, so thought the next one should be a good one... After much deliberation I went for some +45mm Dobinsons springs with some shock spacers provided by Gav Smile

First a reminder of how Rex looked with a saggy *beep*:

So, first step was to jack up that saggy *beep* and whip the rear wheels off to see what I'm dealing with:

The old springs come out with relative ease and on comparing them with the new ones they don't look that much different in size, however there are two more coils in the Dobinsons:

...so, utilising a set of these:

...they go straight in.
While the back was up I decided to adjust the load sensor - this needs doing to keep the brakes in check. You can see the adjuster above the diff on the left of this pic, I just screwed it all the way to the top and although there wasn't 45mm of adjustment available it seems ok (I'm sure the next MOT will pick up any probs):

Next, the shock extensions. Gav supplied four 45mm long hex nuts and the threaded bar needed to make the extensions. All that was left to do was screw the bar halfway into the nuts and cut them off to size. This is what each finished product looked like:

Unfortunately, when I pulled the bushes off the pins on the bottom of the shocks I found that said pins were only threaded less than halfway, which meant I had to find a M10x1.25 die nut to thread the rest of the pin so I could screw on the extensions Sad
I cut down the pins and threaded the rest of the bar...:

...and screwed the extensions on:

All in place:

That's the back done Smile

I ran out of time to do the front as finding that die nut took up the best part of they day Confused but managed to get to it a couple of days later... when I didn't have a camera with me Embarassed sorry! It was fairly straightforward anyway and I got the camera out last weekend when I tested the whole kit out in anger at Lincomb Very Happy
Unexpectedly seems to flex a little better despite the limitations of the standard shocks... no complaints though! This is with the front anti-roll bar still in place:

and afterwards down on the Gower. Looks level with a half decent load which is what I was looking for, so very pleased with the end product Very Happy  Very Happy

Up next, a full size spare and a start on replacing some half worn Coopers. Well, it's about time Laughing

Jim

EDIT: grumble...*beep* censorship Evil or Very Mad  Razz

tomahawk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jim , nice pictures . could you please post the before and after pictures .
wobbly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Jim.

I've held off the suspension until the turbo has proved it works ok....but I think its a good time to make a start!

Pete.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Readers Drives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: