Atlas Overland Adventure Tours

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

What oil to use for better fuel economy???

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Morris oil products but I like Millers stuff as well:-

http://www.millersoils-online.co.uk/

They make several synthetic and semi-synthetic oils for petrol and diesel engines. The main restriction is finding a local supplier so you may have to look around to find one local to you. This may decide whether you use Millers or Morris.

It's worth checking to see if a 25 litre can is cheaper/litre than buying the usual 5 litre cans. With an oil change requiring about 10 litres of oil, it may be worth getting the bigger can.

Willy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 13:01    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

bigone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice - if I understand it correctly it should be sufficient (ie not potentially damaging to the engine) to fill the new oil filter pre fitting because oilways (but not the filter) will generally drain down after an hour or so (ie every time you park for more than an hour). I can't imagine the likes of Toyota would disconnect fuel feeds etc when they do a service and as it has now done 150k miles it should be ok just to fill the filter and not try to spin the engine before starting (because there is no easy way of doing it). Sorry if I seem to be dragging this out but if I get it wrong the results could be expensive! Smile
[quote="Wandering Willy"]If you use the Toyota filter, it has a rubber flap behind the mounting plate which acts as a non return valve for the outside (feed) side of the filter. So, with a new filter if you fill the central hole with clean oil until the filter case is full, most of it will stay there while you screw the filter onto the mounting bracket on the side of the engine.

This means that the filter is fairly full when you start the engine for the first time after an oil change.

I also use filters from a manufacturer called 'Wix' supplied by local parts store (Wilco - covers Norfolk). These also have the rubber non return valve. So there may be other brands as well as Toyota ones with this feature.

http://www.wixeurope.com/

Filling the oil filter helps but there are also the oil supply pipes and channels in the engine to fill if it is completely drained of oil (i.e. left to drain for more than an hour). So filling the filter isn't a complete solution but should help a lot.

If you have a petrol engined car, you can remove the spark plugs and let the starter motor crank the engine (it will turn a bit easier without the plugs in place) until the oil pressure light goes out. With a diesel engine, you could take off the diesel supply tube from the tank - at the fuel filter - to allow the fuel to drain back to the tank and prevent the engine from starting until it has turned over on the starter for a few minutes. But I don't think the fuel injection pump would like this very much as it relies on a flow of diesel oil to lubricate it. Someone here may have other thoughts on this idea.

Wiily[/quote]
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have started a new thread but it seemed relevant to this one so I hope no-one minds me bringing it back to life.

I recently changed the transmission oil in my 100 series. I used a fully synthetic Millers oil in the transfer box and axles (GL4 and 5). I also drained a refilled the automatic transmission fluid using the Toyota stuff.

I don't use my car a lot, so I have had to wait until I used a couple of tanks of fuel to get an indication of any change in fuel consumption.

The story isn't simple as I have been using the aircon recently which increases the consumption as well as towing a heavy trailer. However, the fuel consumption seems to have improved by between 5% and 10%.

My car is a diesel automatic. I keep a log of all fuel purchased against mileage and the figures before the change were 24 mpg dropping to 22 if the aircon was used. Towing reduced it to around 17mpg but this is only on short trips so it is difficult to measure accurately.

So if I am correct with my early readings (2 tanks of fuel - about 150 litres), the 'improved' figure is 26 mpg for normal driving (no aircon).

I know this doesn't sound much but over the next 10,000 miles it means I have saved at least 100 litres of fuel and possibly 200. This more than pays for the expensive Millers oil for the axles and transfer box plus the 6 litres of auto fluid. Plus I have the benefit of top quality oil in these bits - hopefully - reducing wear as well.

Willy
Huw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the synthetic oil is of a lower viscosity [thinner] than the original oils used, then the effect on fuel consumption will be negligible and undetectable and/or statistically insignificant.
I use a very expensive, very high specification, synthetic engine oil and use a thin oil in the transfer case. I have not noticed that the synthetic engine oil has made any difference to fuel consumption whatsoever.
DaveWall

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read people changing oil without changing filter, or changing oil very very frequently....

The BMW Owners club commissioned a proper scientific study into Oil/Filter "wear"... over a number of engines/years the conclusion was that the Oil was still well within specification at Significantly higher intervals than the BMW recommended service periods on ALL types of engines, however the filters were below spec within the service period....

The basic conclusion was that you could and should just swap the filter more often....

I now swap the oil as per the Toyota recommendation, but just unscrew and screw a new Toyota oil filter on about half way through this interval!  As the Filter is cheaper than the oil too this makes a lot of sense!

I can't see why more people don't do this?
DaveWall

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw a spanner in the works - the BMW Owners club commissioned a 'proper' scientific study into how the oil degrades on some of their vehicles....  In general what they found was that the oil itself was good (pretty much ALL brands) for significantly longer than any of the service intervals on the vehicle, in fact most oil exceeded all of the lubrication requirements over 10 times the service interval.

HOWEVER, what they did find was that the oil filters performance barely lasted the service interval on new vehicles, and was significantly poorer on high odometer reading cars....  

the conclusion was that, realistically we should be spinning new oil filters on regularly and not changing the oil so often!  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: