2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Self-adhesive vinyl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigSi
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 19:22    Post subject: Self-adhesive vinyl Reply with quote

I’ve just bought some self-adhesive vinyl (exterior grade) to cover the rear windows on my works van. And was wondering what the best method was of applying the vinyl?  Confused
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 19:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

NIGE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good splash of soapy water this makes it easy to position the vinyl,then a credit card or something similar to sqeeze the water out and jobs done, remember to let it dry for a good few hours
Jimbo4x4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using soapy water then start in the middle when smoothing out. I usually fix vinyls dry but you have to be really careful of bubbling, fix one side first and smooth it over to the other, laying it on gradually. If you do find any bubbles once finished you can use a sharp pin to burst them then smooth towards the new hole

With great power comes great responsibility. That's why I have a 2.4!
BigSi
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the water affect self-adhesive on the vinyl? Is it sticky, or does it dry then stick? Confused
fridayman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo4x4 wrote:
If you're using soapy water then start in the middle when smoothing out. I usually fix vinyls dry but you have to be really careful of bubbling, fix one side first and smooth it over to the other, laying it on gradually. If you do find any bubbles once finished you can use a sharp pin to burst them then smooth towards the new hole

Using a very sharp blade/scalpel to cut a small slit at the edge of bubbles (instead of the pin prick) makes them almost undetectable afterwards. Saw this on telly once and it works very well.
jojo1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 17:52    Post subject: Fix vinyl wet Reply with quote

Fitted some vinyl dry to my 120 series a few years ago. Managed to remove all the bubbles with a razor blade. Problems occurred a couple of years later when the desert heat opened up the tiny slits. It looked terrible so replaced the vinyl wet when I got home. Much easier job!

Happy trails,

Jojo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: