Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rattling noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 17:58    Post subject: Rattling noise Reply with quote

Hi folks!
My recently purchased Landcruiser (1991 4.2 Auto) has developed a metallic clattering noise from what sounds to be beneath the transmission tunnel. It only happens when accelerating, and disappears immediately I take my foot of the gas pedal. The noise is audable above the normal diesel engine noise. Anyone experienced anything similar??

Sad Thanx. Stephen
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 17:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve it maybe something simple like the exhaust knocking or a heat shield.
If there is a removable flywheel shroud or cover check the screws are tight.
If you can recreate the noise while in neutral,get an assistant to rev the engine whist you have a closer listen

Sometimes soft engine/transmission mounts can allow the motor to lean over more than its supposed to when under strain. Very Happy
k1elliott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rosco, bit of a hijack here.

Your comment about soft mounts strikes a chord with me.

When my motor starts, there is sometimes a fair jolt from the engine like its moving - unless I time the release of the ignition to just when it fires up. It could be soft mounts. Is this a common prob with cruiers do you know? How do u check the mounts for wear?
I get some serious vibration through the car on hard accelration too - I had put it down to 'the diesel thing' but it might be something fixable.

Cheers.

Sorry for buttin in radman.
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

K1elliot it certainly sounds like a soft or broken mount.
A mechanic showed me once by getting a suitable lever and lifting the motor exposing a crack in the rubber mount.
Not sure if youll have the room.

You could probably check the gearbox mount by placing a jack carefully under the gear box and lifting just enough to stretch the rubber.

For soft mounts that are not broken its just an educated guess.
If they have had contaminates such as oil or power steering fluid dripping on them for some time it will turn them soft.

Do you do much heavy towing?

Sometimes hard accelleration in reverse will cause something like clutch shudder.

Its not a common problem that I know of.
Also check the engine mounts bolts are tight.
Maybe get someone else to start it while you watch. Very Happy
k1elliott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Rosco.
No towing that I know of and no tow bar or marks from one.

I have the 'knack' of starting her without juddering but if I get it wrong then its like starting an old bus. Wait a minute, it is an old bus!
Anyway, i'll check the mounts as suggested.

Cheers for the help.

Radman - sorry for the Jack!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: