4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Alarm Sensitivity

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Alarms, immobilisers and key fobs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:26    Post subject: Alarm Sensitivity Reply with quote

During the recent storms (thunder, lightning, heavy rain) my car alarm keeps going off. I then have to run outside (in the rain), unlock the doors, open one and close it again. The alarm then stays off and therefore no annoying noises.

If I just unlock the doors, my car's alarm system re-locks them and re-sets the alarm after about 20 seconds.

I think there is a sensitivity control - like a volume control on a radio - somewhere. Is this correct and where might I find it?

Alternatively, can I disable the 'clever' feature that re-locks the doors if one isn't opened when I unlock them?

Any other thoughts?

Willy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought this had something to do with pressure changes, and an imbalance between pressure inside and outside the car, leading to the alarm being triggered when the thunder makes the alarm think someone's bashing on a window trying to get in ...

That's why opening and shutting the door sorts it - pressure equalises and alarm knows the door was opened so all is OK....  In typical SA highveld thunderstorms car alarms are always going off, until there is some form of intervention.

Could be waaaaay off the mark though  Laughing
wildsmith
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about a sensitivity control but the re-locking may be an option your local dealer can change. I don't know what sensors are used or where they are but your problems might be an indication of a fault somewhere. Maybe water is getting somewhere it shouldn't when it rains heavily?

01 UZJ100 lifted (AHC & 40mm BL), ARB locked f&r, cryo'd 4.88's, TJM front bumper, 12k goldfish, sliders, rack, snorkel, 35's, storage, aux power etc.
93 HDJ80 sold
94 HDJ80 RIP
Nuclear Chicken
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willy,

That sounds suspiciously sensitive. I suspect something is not quite right. However, in the interim, try disabling the interior sensors just prior to locking the car if you have that facility on a '02 100. I have it on my '04 LC120. This will potentially eliminate one source of activation to at least allow you to determine whether or not it is interior or other sensors at fault. As to the auto-lock feature, not sure; ask your nearest dealer regarding disabling it. I suspect a good indy with OBC abilities will be able to determine this. I know the time to auto relock can be adjusted (on the LC120).
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

The re-lock, re-set routine is a function of the alarm - the 120 user manual states that if you unlock the car and do not open a door it will re-lock and re-arm the alarm after 30 seconds.  Might be what's wanted in the UK but believe me that's definitely what you do want elsewhere in the world, along with the option to only unlock the driver's door, followed by all other doors on a second fob activation ...  Wink  Laughing  You really don't want an unsavoury skulking around and then getting in the passenger door when you open the driver's door in some countries ... like south Africa for example!
joinerman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i lock mine with the button on the fob with one press then mine will sometimes go off in stormy conditions but if i press the button twice then it disables the interior sensors & i have no troubles.
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I thought (or imagined) that there was a variable resistor that lowered or raised the sensitivity of the microphones inside the car that are part of the alarm system.

The storms I was talking about were very severe for the UK with the rain as heavy as I have ever seen. The noise inside the car must have been very loud.

I will try Joinerman's trick of pressing the lock button on the key fob twice to see if that disables the interior microphones (or whatever they are).

I have tried setting the alarm with some of the windows open a little bit to allow the air to circulate. I know that temperatures in the UK don't get that high but this leaves the car a bit cooler when you return. However, the wind blowing through the openings or outside noises seem to trigger the alarm often enough to be a nuisance.

Thanks again

Willy
Towpack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willy

My alarm works the same as joinerman's and is the TVSS 3B system. Not sure if this was fitted to the 100 series or not but if it is this system there is an adjuster on the ECU for the glass breakage/vibration sensitivity. I had a series of 'false alarms' a year or two back which was cured by tweeking this adjustment. Seemed to be happening at night after the car had been parked up all day during very hot weather, possibly due to the whole car cooling down and 'ticking' maybe??

1998 HDJ80 Amazon VX 4.2TD
2004 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
2011 Ducati 1198SP (Sold)
2012 kawasaki ZZr1400
2002 Honda XR650R (BRP)- STOLEN GRRRRR!!!
2010 Husaberg FE570....YIPPEEEEE!!!!
2003 GT XCR3000
1995 Border Collie-Passed away 23-5-2011
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Towpack

Where do I find the ECU/sensitivity control?

It sounds like what I am looking for.

Willy
donna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 15:59    Post subject: Alarm sensitivity Reply with quote

Willy

Rememebered reading about this before on a previous post in the 100 series forum. Page 11 Post dated Friday October 26 2007.
I would do something clever and put a link to it but i'm sadly lacking in that area of proficiency.

Also have a manual aquired from somewhere, but this only deals with the functionality.

Donna's (other half)
garystockton
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

See hare:

Car alarm

Cheers
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

I will have a look under the gear lever surround as mentioned in the other thread.

Willy
Wandering Willy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Following the suggestion on the older thread, I have had a look under the gear lever console. There is a control box with a sensitivity adjuster and I have changed the setting. I will only know if this has done the trick once we have another big storm (tomorrow?)!

The cover to the gear lever comes off fairly easily. It is held in by 6 clips which are soft enough to allow you to open the cup holder behind the gear lever and pull it up gently. There are 2 clips under the base of the cup holder and then two more on either side in line with the main gear lever and another 2 just in front of the transfer box lever. These four are at the edge of the cover.

You need to unscrew the knob from the transfer box lever to get the cover off. Also, there are three cables plugged into the cover; the two seat heater switches and the 2ND/Power switch. Once these are disconnected, the cover can be moved out of the way:-

The alarm control box is tucked under the front edge of the console:-

The alarm box is held in place with a cable tie and it is possible to slip this off to allow the box to move out a little. This allows you to take out a small rubber plug in the box under which is a circuit board with a small screw adjuster set in it. You need a small flat bladed screwdriver. The case has marked on it about 8 positions corresponding to the position of the slot in the adjuster screw. Mine was set at about 5 and I set it back to 3:-

I will now see whether this reduces or prevent the alarm going off whenever there is a loud noise!

My car is a 2002 100 series and I realise that other models will have a different arrangement. However, cars from the same era are probably similar enough for this arrangement to be typical on the 90 and 120 series cars as well.  

Willy
bushburywolf
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done willy you found it ... Very Happy  i can sort mine out now i know what to look for ..thanks very much for posting the pics  .........   Keith
bushburywolf
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i tried mine and turned it right down to the left ..still the same ..any thoughts willy ??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Alarms, immobilisers and key fobs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: