Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

fj40 diesel engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elvis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 23:49    Post subject: fj40 diesel engine Reply with quote

hi there just wondering if i bit the big one and imported a 4cyl diesel 40 what kind of performance should i expect
mpg wise what is a comfortable cruising speed and id the engine prone to any  problems
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 23:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

spackrackman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ermmm.... I have never taken that much notice what my bj40 does to the gallon, but seeing that I have not given it much thought indicates that it is not that bad at all. I don't think the word bj40 and performance can go together. It certainly is not underpowered but you wont go anywhere fast. I quite happily potter everywhere at 50-55 and I seem to remember hitting 70 once but its the stopping that puts me off going that fast. Engines seem pretty reliable and have had no problems in 2 years. For me I love it. I like the experience of driving something that takes a lot of driver input to get from A to B.  Would like to drive a petrol version but would not want the running costs.  I drove from Southampton to the Midlands the day it arrived and I used less than 3/4 of a tank. I remember being surprised.

Jonnie
elvis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool i tend to loaf around 55 ish any way and am more of a fan for simple rugedness than fast perfoming techy motors
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 13:54    Post subject: Re: fj40 diesel engine Reply with quote

elvis wrote:
hi there just wondering if i bit the big one and imported a 4cyl diesel 40 what kind of performance should i expect
mpg wise what is a comfortable cruising speed and id the engine prone to any  problems

Their main problem is they crack heads,usually caused by over fuelling or from being driven too hard.
Both scenarios send the exhaust gas temperature (EGTs) through the roof. You can fit a pyrometer to the exhaust flow to monitor it.
However the heads are really thick and they can go for years with cracked heads.
Dropping back a gear on hills and using  higher rpms to climb is the best medicine.

Sometimes the diaphragm in the fuel pump will get a leak and you will get higher RPMs at idle. Dont leave it in this condition as Ive heard the engine can run away and because there is no vacuum because of the leak ,it can be hard to turn off.

Keep your glowplugs maintained and replace as a set.
Leaky hand pumps let air into the system and make starting hard.

Apart from that the 3B ,or B diesels in general ,are bombproof. They also take very well to aftermarket turbos Cool

By the way,because it has a B type engine,its a BJ40 or 41 or 42 depending on which generation of engine Very Happy
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Triumph Rocket3 08 with Jardines and Tuneboy Wink
Honda XR650L
1988 HJ61 turbo diesel with windas that slide Wink  Sad
spackrackman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

woooo you have pointed out a few thing I am going to check when I start mine up again from its winter resting place. Very interesting.. You obviously know your bj40's
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

spackrackman wrote:
woooo you have pointed out a few thing I am going to check when I start mine up again from its winter resting place. Very interesting.. You obviously know your bj40's

Thanks although I dont actually own one I know a bit about them;)   Generally they are one of Toyota's most relaible diesel engines.
Not much goes wrong with them,mainly stuff on the outside of the engine.
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Honda XR650L
spackrackman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I should start a new thread but roscoFJ73 seemed to know lots about the diesel engine so I thought I would carry on this post.

I think I may have semi seized my engine today. Its been sat for over a year and today I filled up with new oil, started it up, left it ticking over, came back 20 minutes later to a dead engine and it would barely turn over when I tried to re start it. I checked the dip stick and it looked like the oil had gone no where.

what has happened, how can I fix it and how can I make sure it does not do it again...

My poor BJ

Jonnie
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

"the oil had gone no where"   Confused  

Are you saying the oil had not moved around the engine?

You should never leave a diesel idling at slow speeds for long and certainly never unattended.

Do you know what the oil pressure was like before the mishap.
Did the engine feel abnormally hot?
You said its barely able to turn over,could it be the battery?
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Honda XR650L
spackrackman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi roscoFJ73,
Rodger and I had had things in bits today.  First we took out the injectors. It turned over a little easier but something is not right, we put some diesel and turned it over, the last cylinder kept puffing out smoke??? we then took off the fan belt to see if either the Alternator or water pump was playing up/seized and there was also a squeak coming from somewhere when turning over, the squeak still was present even with belt off! Eventually we took off the sump, nothing stuck in the oil mesh but after taking off the big end bearings there is some wear marks and same again on the main bearings so it looks like engine out and a bottom end rebuild. I have a spare engine which if Grenade can let me know if it was a runner I shall put in so I can use the truck over the summer and in the meantime get the crank bearings done etc and give it a well deserved overhaul. I have no idea how many miles its done but it has spent 30 years in Australia so it probably a fair few.  

Out of interest why can you not leave the engines Idling for long?

the truck was not hot when I returned to it and yes the oil did not seem to have flowed around the engine, it was still clean as a whistle. But after turning it over today it has now turned dirty as expected.  God knows but Rodger was saying that the scoring on the bearing shells can cause the stiffness of the engine so thats the plan.

Jonnie
rodger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scoring does have metal pick up not only on the big end shells but also on the mains, although we didn't look at everyone as the damage was sufficient to re-assess the gameplan.

Rodger
roscoFJ73

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

spackrackman wrote:

Out of interest why can you not leave the engines Idling for long?

Jonnie

The slower the idle,the cooler the engine gets except for the pistons. So you have a cool outer engine and a hot interior. The engine is designed to work best with the heat evenly distributed which allows for even expansion.
If you have to leave them idling ,its best done with a fast idle
Holden Commodore V6
YAMAHA TT600R Belgarda
Honda XR650L
CompanyMan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

from recollection of driving petrol FJ45s in the Middle East years ago, around 12-15mpg in allround use and around 8mpg in 4wd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 40 Series Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: