Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Roof or ground?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Overland / offroad preparation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wobbly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 17:47    Post subject: Roof or ground? Reply with quote

Been looking at rooftents, some great ideas, but not cheap.

Could spend far less on a ground tent.

The oz tent one that goes up/down in 30 seconds looks good, but rooftents seem more popular.

Any feelings on this?

How do rooftents stand up to wind?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 17:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

fridayman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roof tents are really quick to put up which is great after a long days driving or in poor weather. The downside is that you have to "break camp" if you want to go anywhere like down to the beach or to fetch milk.
fridayman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do go for the ground option, you should also look at the Black Wolf range (I was looking at the Turbo I think). While the Oz Tents are excellent tents, they are still 2m long when packed up.
joe lane

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 20:43    Post subject: roof tents Reply with quote

hi,

i have just got hold of an autocamp fold out 30 second roof tent for a weekend away, i usually sleep in the truck for 1 nighters so a bit of comfort to look forward to,

roof tents do seem to be fashionable but expensive

advantages and disadvantages, god knows i will let you no after a weekend away

im building a foxwing at the moment to cover me cooking out the back of my truck, folds away in minutes

so at the end of the day i would say half hour tops to pack up my gear and get under way

but then again im in no rush.

later     joe
wobbly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Black Wolf tents look very interesting, but it says Australia / NZ only? Did you find a UK supplier?

Let us know how you get on with it Joe.
joe lane

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 21:09    Post subject: re:roof tent Reply with quote

hi wobbly,    i was lucky, got myself a used one ( used in the paris dakar im told )  off flea bay

brother in law is building one also, cant wait to see that, he is quite talented in diy
misterpaul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my roof tent. They are expensive, but the speed thing and being able to leave your bedding inside are good advantages. Also folding out and packing away are very easy one person jobs. Mine stands up very well in wind and rain, and in wet season Africa when the campsite gets flooded I know where I'd rather be. We have it set up to open over the back of the troopie, so it also provides some shelter when we cook on the fold down table on the back door.

If it's just for weekends away I don't know if I'd invest so much money, but for longer term travelling or extended trips I think it's well worth it.

Last edited by misterpaul on Mon Sep 27, 2010 15:37; edited 1 time in total
Plumbo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both a howling moon roof tent & oz tent.

The only one I use now is the Oztent!

The roof tent is good, very good quality etc etc, but a pain using the ladder in bare feet, cant stand up to dress etc, heavier than oz tent, has to be folded to drive anywhere, and can be a real pain to get the cover on with the bedding etc inside.
Also that call of nature in the night has to be overcome (think funnel & hosepipe!!)

With the oz tent, obviously you need to find somewhere to pitch it with no boulders, hard tarmac etc to lie on! the roof tent comes into its own there

Oz tent erects VERY quickly & mostly we dont put up the awning & extra side & front panels in the desert & its self supporting.
Collapses & fits in the bag quite easily too, at a guess its about 20 -25 kilos which does need lifting onto the roofrack.

Andy

ps I believe Roman is selling his if your looking for one as he's now bought an overland MAN truck
lucky
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can recommend the Khyam Igloo for a good ground tent, plenty big enough and up in seconds a bit like the OZTent but far cheaper. As specified for the G4 Challenge so they say. Got one for £116 and it's nicely made and the quick erect system is brilliant.
wobbly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a look at a youtube video on the igloo - for £110 i think thats an ace bit of kit.

Reckon I might bag an end of season bargain if I see one - £116 on the khyam site at the moment.

That'll do me fine for weekend camping, but not big enough to  cook or sit in when the weathers lousy - went to the IOM TT this year, and 2 days were rotten - everyone ended up in my large dome, but that takes 20 minutes to put together and would be no good for a week or two of moving camp each day.

Pete.
Bat21

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't use either, just spent two weeks in Morocco with a mate with an Oz tent. Although the Oz tent is quick, I would say it erection time is nearer to 15-20 minutes if you include the removal from roof rack and unpacking etc.... and the same in the morning taking it down.

With my set up, just open the rear door and one double bed awaits.

Two cavernous draws hold enough cloths, food, tools and spares etc for our 2-3 week trips.
wobbly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Morocco looks good mate.

I have thought about the truck, but if the weathers poor I dont want to be sat in it (I dont really want to be sat in a tent either!!).

Also, my LJ78 is a bit more snug than your Amazon, and I'll be travelling with my mate Fat Tony.......I'd sleep under the truck if it was the only alternative!

Pete.
24Seven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Khyam Igloo, Oz Tent 3 and I sleep inside, I really must have a clear out  Very Happy
wobbly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought myself a Khyam Igloo today, will be fine for 90% of what I do.

Am thinking of putting marine ply on the base of the roofrack, then setting the tent up on that!

Pete
wobbly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like John86045 is a spam account........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Overland / offroad preparation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: