All Wheel Drive Club

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Paint restored

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bodywork / accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fridayman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 20:46    Post subject: Paint restored Reply with quote

On the last couple of laning trips my black paint work really took a beating and was starting to bother me (it usually doesn't). So I looked at some scratch removal tutorials on the web. This morning I was on my way to buy a polisher and popped into Halfords to buy some black t-cut. While I was there I picked up a rubber backing disc and a couple of wool bonnets for it (to try before I buy a proper polisher). The bonnet just slips over the disc and ties around the back (there are also velcro versions available). I started off by rubbing some of the black t-cut onto the scratches with a cloth and then polishing it out with the polishing disk, but soon found that pouring some straight onto the wool bonnet worked better. First I tried it with my cordless drill, but then swapped it onto the more powerful corded drill. The results are superb, and I can highly recommend this is a cheap scratch removal solution.

This is the result:

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 20:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

joinerman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spray some cold water on the mop/pad as well or you will burn the paint or spray the area your polishing.
Thirlwell
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This may be of interest to better you polishing knowledge you may want to take a few minutes and have a look at polishing or youtube how to polish a car.

the other post is right water to stop the mop getting to hot and burning holes in the paint. I've used G3 by farecla its more abrasive than t-cut  if you have deeper scratches,and autoglym high gloss after. have a look at the link they explain what the different compounds are used for, plus short videos.

I hope this may help with your own paint restoring in the future. you've got a good finish on what you have done.

Thanks

Tom
trooperman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

Have a look on here mate , but be warned , it can be addictive and expensive  Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Bodywork / accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: