4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Landcruiser Wheels and Tyre choices - help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Running gear / gearbox / suspension / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chalky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:46    Post subject: Landcruiser Wheels and Tyre choices - help! Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone could help please.

I have a 2009 4.5 V8 Landcruiser with the standard wheel and tyre fitment. Tyre size 285/50 R20.

I would like to fit better tyres for use in winter for snow and mud. I don't go off road other than farm lanes and remote roads that are covered in snow.

The tyre size does not have to be 20" as I would get a spare set of wheels for winter use. Smile  Smile  Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Landcrusher
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really can't go wrong with anything in the All Terrain format. I favour BFG from experience but the General Grabber are just about the same to all intent. The new BFG KM2 Muddies are getting rave reviews. Don't be put off by the term Mud Terrain on the KM2, they are tarmac friendly. But, again from experience, I have found the AT pattern to be awesome in snow. It's rare that we get snow so deep that need monster tyres; it's usually just when you need to go somewhere at 6 in the morning and the snow is fresh and about 1" deep or it's on the way home and it's slush everywhere on top of ice. A spare set of wheels is a really good idea. Stick the ATs on in late Nov and take them of at the end of Feb. In terms of rim size, just make sure that what ever you buy will go one over the brake calipers. And I wouldn't be tempted to go for ultra wide Fat Boy rubber. The thinner the better for snow. Consider a 285, 275 or even like me, a 255. You get a really good bite into soft surfaces like mud and snow.

Best of  luck

LC
marlot

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree
Chalky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I will be investing in a new set of wheels and tyres for winter use. just trying to decide now on which ones before summer gets here. The Hilux that I have has 35x12.5R 17s but I won't be going down that road as speedo and body modes will be needed.
All I want now is local tyre dealers to come up with the same answers to the same questions. Very Happy
Chalky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick Cepek do Radial FC II , Mud Country and Crusher tyres. Does any one know what these are like on and off road.

I have looked at the BF Goodridge KM 2 they look a very well made tyre. so I'm told are and excellent on and off road tyre.

This made my day today.

Looking for tyres parked up next to a new Range Rover Vogue, driver looked at me as to say who are you !!. Only to find after a short while later the same bloke back in his vehicle that when he pressed the start button would not start, only made a clicking sound.

Makes me proud to be a Toyota owner and driver.  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
StuWhitby

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's when the ride height control comes into its own Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> Running gear / gearbox / suspension / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: