Milner Off-Road

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

cracked head !!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aroscow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this thread it is discussed a bit more:

http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5436&view=next&sid=08e8ea55ca6a7f4af6de24ebd16b630f

....Dye turns yellow if mixture becomes acidic....
it becomes acidic if contaminated with exhaust gasses..

I'm no expert though -
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 18:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

boxa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

its news to me but im sure somebody will be along soon to clear this up!!!!
2001 fiesta lx
2007 golf tdi
2004 rav xt4 d4d
Gazbo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I aint ever heard of that? I would think it be very expensive to make and buy?
The sniff test fluid is expensive enough, never mind mixing it with coolant
boxa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the head off at last today but i cant see anything obvious. all looks good no cracks between valves nothing obvious on gasket. there are cracks  in the swirl chambers but this isnt uncommon on diesels as far as im aware can anybody give me any tips on where i should be looking for cracks or are they impossible to see the only thing i can think of now is having it crack tested !!!!!!!
2001 fiesta lx
2007 golf tdi
2004 rav xt4 d4d
boxa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody got any sugestions !!!
2001 fiesta lx
2007 golf tdi
2004 rav xt4 d4d
boxa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

or is a case of just ordering a new head and dont bother checking the old one
2001 fiesta lx
2007 golf tdi
2004 rav xt4 d4d
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

boxa wrote:
or is a case of just ordering a new head and dont bother checking the old one

I couldn't see any cracks in mine so just ordered a complete replacement from Roughtrax. I replaced the radiator and thermostat at the same time - then the water pump about two weeks later  Rolling Eyes

Its certainly an improvement, it runs fine in normal use (no clouds of steam  Very Happy ) but I still get pressure in the cooling system when towing.

I'm going to fit a modified head gasket when the weather warms up.

Bob.
mosfet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by pressure in the cooling system?  How can you tell and is it a bad thing?
Cheers.
boxa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think what bob means is pressure in system from crack in head making hoses go hard and getting past rad cap and bubbling in expansion tank correct me if im wrong
Rolling Eyes
2001 fiesta lx
2007 golf tdi
2004 rav xt4 d4d
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

mosfet wrote:
Bob, excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by pressure in the cooling system?  How can you tell and is it a bad thing?
Cheers.

It over-fills the expansion tank and I get red coolant in the engine bay  Rolling Eyes (but only when I'm towing a loaded Horse Trailer).

When it cools down it sucks back what its got into the radiator, but the rad is then a bit short of coolant.

I think its caused by poor fluid circulation. There are 13 water channels between the block and the head, but the head gasket blocks off all but 5 of them  Shocked .

The nearside of the motor (LHS from inside the car) only has one hole (possibly to direct all the hot coolant to the cabin heater) and I think that is where the problem lies.

I'm going to experiment by drilling out some of the blanks in a new head gasket and see what happens.

The heater is roasting - its either on or off. I replaced the valve that sits on the bulkhead but that made no difference.

Hopefully this gasket mod will calm things down.

Bob.
boxa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like im gonna go for a head rad and thermostat just to be on the safe side owch !!!!
2001 fiesta lx
2007 golf tdi
2004 rav xt4 d4d
boxa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

boxa wrote:
looks like im gonna go for a head rad and thermostat just to be on the safe side owch !!!!
water pump like brand new
2001 fiesta lx
2007 golf tdi
2004 rav xt4 d4d
benterrier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobMurphy wrote:
mosfet wrote:
Cheers.

It over-fills the expansion tank and I get red coolant in the engine bay  Rolling Eyes (but only when I'm towing a loaded Horse Trailer).

When it cools down it sucks back what its got into the radiator, but the rad is then a bit short of coolant.

I think its caused by poor fluid circulation. There are 13 water channels between the block and the head, but the head gasket blocks off all but 5 of them  Shocked .

The nearside of the motor (LHS from inside the car) only has one hole (possibly to direct all the hot coolant to the cabin heater) and I think that is where the problem lies.

I'm going to experiment by drilling out some of the blanks in a new head gasket and see what happens.

The heater is roasting - its either on or off. I replaced the valve that sits on the bulkhead but that made no difference.

Hopefully this gasket mod will calm things down.

Bob.

Bob
Would have thought that if water ways in block and head were opposite each other putting a head gasket on that blocked 8 of them off and all down the same side was asking for trouble. Can you remember if the old gasket was the same?
Surely this new head must be getting some hot spots in it running it like that. Your problem when towing a loaded horse box points to …..Using more power and generating more heat which the cooling system isn’t getting rid of.  Don’t go and crack another head  Embarassed .

Regards
Benterrier
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

benterrier wrote:
Bob
Would have thought that if water ways in block and head were opposite each other putting a head gasket on that blocked 8 of them off and all down the same side was asking for trouble. Can you remember if the old gasket was the same?
Surely this new head must be getting some hot spots in it running it like that. Your problem when towing a loaded horse box points to …..Using more power and generating more heat which the cooling system isn’t getting rid of.  Don’t go and crack another head  Embarassed .

Regards
Benterrier

I have no memory . . . .

Which is why I take photos   Very Happy

Here is the block with the head gasket removed. If you ignore the 18 head bolt holes, the rocker oil feed hole, the small holes on the periphery that appear to be full of soot there are 13 water channels.

Now look at the block with the old head gasket in place - not a lot of water flow on the nearside   Shocked

I have two new head gaskets, a Milners pattern job and a genuine Toyota original - they are exactly the same as the old one you see here (and also the same as the pattern one currently fitted).

I'm going to put some 6mm or 8mm holes in the nearside blanks (and maybe others) and see what happens.

I'm also going to use some thin jointing compound on the head this time as there may be a low spot that's allowing a blow when under high load.

Its only work   Rolling Eyes

Its a pity as the car runs fine when I'm not towing.

Bob.
benterrier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob
Yes I can see from your photo the imprint of the head waterways on the gasket. Its strange the waterways mirror each other and yet the gasket is blank. It probably wouldn't have been a concern if your new head etc would have solved the issue completely. Yes, drilling some holes in the gasket is what I would do.

Hope when you get the head off again you can see some signs of where a leak is into the water system when your engine comes under heavy load. Your application of some sealant hopefully will do the trick.

Regards
Benterrier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: