NFU Mutual - click to link

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

cracked head !!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to see a cracked head have a look HERE
Mercedes Sprinter 311 Luton
1993 VX80 4.2td SOLD
1996 Hilux Surf SSR-G Intercooler Sold
1994 Hilux Surf SSR-V Sold
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 19:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

benterrier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:

Yes, cracked head topics does make interesting reading on this website

Regards
Benterrier
boxa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

can anybody vouch for the quality of the heads from roughtrax they say made by amc !!
2001 fiesta lx
2007 golf tdi
2004 rav xt4 d4d
KZJ90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobMurphy wrote:

I'm going to put some 6mm or 8mm holes in the nearside blanks (and maybe others) and see what happens.

I´ve heard those holes are not open for correct water flow, more holes could cause bad flow in some areas inside the head. Just warning... I don´t really know, I thought the same thing but left them like they are designed.
*water-intercooler + chip
*3" down pipe + exhaust
KZJ90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:

My both old heads (stock oem and chinese copy) are cracked inside the combustion chamber.

KZJ90 wrote:
BobMurphy wrote:

I'm going to put some 6mm or 8mm holes in the nearside blanks (and maybe others) and see what happens.

I´ve heard those holes are not open for correct water flow, more holes could cause bad flow in some areas inside the head. Just warning... I don´t really know, I thought the same thing but left them like they are designed.

*3" down pipe + exhaust
KZJ90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why I cannot edit/delete my posts?!?
*3" down pipe + exhaust
boxa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

well all done now new roughtrax complete head and toyota gasket. new thermostat. new radiator. belts. all filters and oil i finally finished building her up yesterday and remakably she started virtually immediately and shes running perfectly no issues with bleeding just put both heaters on hot and let her tick over with rad cap off for a while ive since  took her for a good run and its running better than ever. this may have something to do with blanking of the egr. i was amazed at how much sludgy carbon this puts into your inlet manifold i spent an hour cleaning it out and there was no way my nice new shiny AMC head was getting full of all that again it really was worth doing and as i was in there anyway i just did it. i can honestly say that this head change really tested my patience im very mechanicaly competent and have all the tools but there are a few things like removing the egr pipes that would test the patience of a saint 3- 10mm bolts on back of head are a complete nightmare let alone the 4  12mm nuts and bolts on egr system pipework and the inlet manifold was another nightmare connecting it all back together  but despite all of the problems doing the head change i can honestly say i enjoyed doing it. when you pull one of these apart you realise just how well made they are the build quality is second to none i had no bolts break or threads shear and everything came apart as it should without any major issues you just need a lot of patience and i mean a lot !!! not so much as a washer left over when finished and now im back in love with her it was worth every penny of the rebuild and hopefully shell be good for a long time to come if anybody needs any tips on a head change im ya man  Very Happy
2001 fiesta lx
2007 golf tdi
2004 rav xt4 d4d
KZJ90

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

boxa wrote:
my nice new shiny AMC head

Well done! I have done it twice too, the second time was much easier, but wish I had choose the original head/not chinese at first time. What is AMC?
*3" down pipe + exhaust
boxa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to mention i also fitted genuine thermostat and bought 10 litres of toyota red premix
2001 fiesta lx
2007 golf tdi
2004 rav xt4 d4d
boxa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMC are a company that manufacture heads for a lot of companys worlwide including toyota i did my research and was told by a few top end mechanics that they are the best available and are definately worth  fitting on a landcruiser as this is the weak point on an otherwise solid engine hence genuine toyota head gasket definately worth the money
2001 fiesta lx
2007 golf tdi
2004 rav xt4 d4d
BobMurphy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

KZJ90 wrote:

I know what you mean.

I had the same issue with a Landrover 2.5l petrol engine that would overheat when towing. I opened up some of the blanked-off holes and it didn't make much difference.

It wasn't blowing coolant out of the radiator though. I think that is caused by steam that can't escape from the nearside so just produces an airlock that pushes coolant into the head and out of the rad.

I may be wrong, we'll see.

It can't go on so I have to try something.

Bob.
regthing
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done  Very Happy . It is very rewarding, especially when you turn the key and it starts first time (altough it took be two attempts to achieve that  Rolling Eyes  Laughing )
pilotwilson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 16:49    Post subject: cracked head? Reply with quote

boxa wrote:
well all done now new roughtrax complete head and toyota gasket. new thermostat. new radiator. belts. all filters and oil i finally finished building her up yesterday and remakably she started virtually immediately and shes running perfectly no issues with bleeding just put both heaters on hot and let her tick over with rad cap off for a while ive since  took her for a good run and its running better than ever. this may have something to do with blanking of the egr. i was amazed at how much sludgy carbon this puts into your inlet manifold i spent an hour cleaning it out and there was no way my nice new shiny AMC head was getting full of all that again it really was worth doing and as i was in there anyway i just did it. i can honestly say that this head change really tested my patience im very mechanicaly competent and have all the tools but there are a few things like removing the egr pipes that would test the patience of a saint 3- 10mm bolts on back of head are a complete nightmare let alone the 4  12mm nuts and bolts on egr system pipework and the inlet manifold was another nightmare connecting it all back together  but despite all of the problems doing the head change i can honestly say i enjoyed doing it. when you pull one of these apart you realise just how well made they are the build quality is second to none i had no bolts break or threads shear and everything came apart as it should without any major issues you just need a lot of patience and i mean a lot !!! not so much as a washer left over when finished and now im back in love with her it was worth every penny of the rebuild and hopefully shell be good for a long time to come if anybody needs any tips on a head change im ya man  Very Happy

just clocked 302000 miles (40,000 of which i've put on trouble free) and today i have steam out of the exhaust Sad no discernible loss of power. reading through the threads here, it seems a replacement head is what is needed and isn't a too difficult job for a keen amateur like me. any pointers beyond what i've trawled through here? TIA
Mike TLC
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to here about this.

Do not rule out the possibility of it being just a blown head gasket...

I had my head done by Toyota under guarantee (100,000 km ago) so I'm not much help but "BobMurphy" is likely to be an expert on pointers for this job.

I went with the 76°C thermostat as well (the one from the later 2000 model that did not have the cracked head syndrome)). There is forum debate about this thermostat change but read on... and make your own mind up.

Out of curiosity (I prefer reality to discussion), I put an aftermarket temperature gauge on the coolant outlet and this reads at between 66° (winter motorway @65 mph) and 78°C (summer motorway @65 mph) which is more than I expected.  It always reads 74°C on stationary tick-over. My mechanic has checked its accuracy.

However the readout climbs very fast and steadily to 85+°C when on uphill motorway stretches in alpine regions or even when going over Cairn O' Mount in Aberdeenshire. It would obviously continue to get hotter if the hill climbing continued but for the moment I have always topped out before going over 85°C, so I have no idea how high it would go with a longer climb or with a trailer/horsebox etc.

And this is coolant outlet temperature, not internal cylinder head temperature, which will be hotter.

I have had no problems since.

I am still wary of this engines cooling capacity when overloaded. Even though it's an engine that can, and has been raced very successfully in many N. African events, it does seem to have a weak point in this area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 90 Series / Prado / Colorado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: