4x4 Mart magazine discount

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

OEM Tyres on 150....?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannyson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 0:24    Post subject: OEM Tyres on 150....? Reply with quote

Not so sure about these ...... -Bridgestone Dueler H/T 840 -265/60R18- ... probably equivalent to the Grand Trek 120s... a 'middle of the road' tyre ... neither one thing or another....

The reviews I've found (which haven't been many) are not great - mostly American - biased to 'country living' - in the hills and farms.

Be interested to know how other 150 owners (or whoever) have found they performed in the snow and such last winter...... Confused
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 0:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dannyson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

TYRE TEST - BRIDGESTONE Dueler H/T 840
A BRIDGE TOO FAR?
Bridgestone's Dueler H/T 840 Tyres Claim To Be A Great Compromise For 4x4 Owners Wanting A Good On-Road Tyre But Also Needing Off Road Capability. Steve Walker Puts Them To The Test....

The Goodrich all-terrain tyres displayed a higher level of tractability in the clay but you'd expect them to do that. The greater lateral stability provided by the knobbly tread meant that the Land Cruiser was propelled forward with less of the grip that there was being lost to the tyres zigzagging from side to side in the ruts. Having said that, as with the Bridgestones, there were still sections of track that proved impassable to the all-terrain tyred Land Cruiser.
The verdict that the BF Goodrich all-terrain tyres gave better off-road performance than the Bridgestone Dueler H/T 840s was always inescapable from the word go. The interesting thing was how close the roadgoing tyre from Bridgestone came to living with its altogether knarlier rival. Even if you do plan on putting your 4x4 to some tough offroad work, there's a good chance that the Bridgestone tyres could do the job. Really extreme stuff would be best avoided because getting stuck without a winch-equipped support vehicle in attendance is not something you want to make a habit of but the Dueler H/T 840 proved more capable than we would have imagined. Then you've got the added advantage of the tyre's performance in its preferred on-road environment. We wasted no time in switching back to the Bridgestones for the long motorway journey home.

Some extracts from a review I just found --- may be of some interest to some.....?
dannyson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

form caranddriving.com (or something similar) - I've never heard of them...... but then I don't get out much Confused
Adam Edwards

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dannyson, cant help you with tyres for snow driving. Not even sure what snow is..... Ha, I'm from Australia so the weather is very hot. The Bridgestones AT's that come standard are very good for road, dirt track and sand. Into mud we change our tyres to MT. We are very heavily aligned with the USA market as they have similar terrain to us. Regards Adam
TonyS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just picking up this thread again,not much traffic on the uk sites for the 150.

I have one, but want to change the tyres to an AT, as I live on a farm and it goes off road. The standard Bridgestones have been ok, only tested in the recent snow, and they worked well, but now its wet, I need more grip. Unfortunately they are on 18" rims, and I dont like the BFG ATs,That would fit,  but love the KM2s,(got them on my hilux), but they dont have the size.

What do you do in OZ,Adam? Stick to 17" probably!!

Be interested in your thoughts, or anyone else out there.

Cheers,

Tony.

150 Cruiser. Standard!!
dannyson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best look at pradopoint - the Aus site ... I read it regularly ... as for tyres most have the GXL which come with 17" rims and Dueller D694LTs seem popular ... for those with the VX and Kakadu (LC4/5) a lot drop down to the 17" rim .. but there are issues with this according to some..... with the KDSS and stuff .... HA! .... just flicked over to Pradopoint ... and saw you making the enquiry ....... I shall watch with interest - as far as I can see it is only you and me from the UK contributing on that forum...!
TonyS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we are a limited bunch!!

Can you confirm we have 18x7.5 rims? Will check my manual tomorrow, Spoke to silverline today, and the Cooper LTZ are the same as Oz, 285s. Said they have sold some for 150 owners, but havent actually fitted them on site. Might pop in and they can see, but wanted an aussie answer.

You should come to my cruiser event, we have a get together at Lincomb, our farm, put a post on here for it.

150 Cruiser. Standard!!
dannyson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the 'brochure'  - the LC4/5 is fitted with (265/60R18) - same at the Amazon back in the day of the 120..... which had 17" rims..... so whatever those folk used as AT maybe the way forward....?

Lincomb? - sounds far far away from St Albans.... Smile
dannyson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the 'brochure'  - the LC4/5 is fitted with (265/60R18) - same at the Amazon back in the day of the 120..... which had 17" rims..... so whatever those folk used as AT maybe the way forward....?

Lincomb? - sounds far far away from St Albans.... Smile
dannyson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing happened!! hence my double posting - doesn't look as though I can delete it....
TonyS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I was trying to find out the width, I think they are 18x7.5 and to fit 285s they need to be 18x8s.  Think I will stay with the standard tyres for now, something will come out soon, no doubt.

150 Cruiser. Standard!!
dannyson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Tony ..... my mistake.
DavidinDevon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the tyre threads on the 120 forum.  Most favour BFG AT's, closely followed by Grabber AT2's and then at the rear, Toyo Open Country AT's.

On my 08 120 series, I have Toyo and have found them to be brilliant.  Pressures by the book are 29/29 but the set that came off (Allcraps) were wearing on the sides more than the middle.  Which indicates to low a pressure so I've set mine at 30/30.

I've had some moments on the ice but then who hasn't?  The snow wasn't a problem, roads are quiet, off road is great.  And I live on a farm in North Devon!

Keep at it

David

Used to be a Colorado 3.0TD VX but now it's a big 120 series Invincible.  With Toyo tyres.  Chuffed.
dannyson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks -  will bear that in mind ...... when I need to change them.... Very Happy
TonyS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found out the other day that general grabber are making a new AT in 18", close to the standard original on the LC4 and 5.

Will be out late 2012.

150 Cruiser. Standard!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> 150 Series / Prado Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: