2Gether FS : 01945 585322

The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club
Landcruiser Club - Dedicated to Toyota Landcruiser, Amazon, Colorado and Prado Owners

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
TLOCUK HomeTLOCUK Home   TLOCUK ForumsTLOCUK Forums  TLOCUK FaceBook GroupTLOCUK FaceBook Group
Click here to link to the South African LandCruiser Owners Club websiteLCCSA  Click here to link to the Australian LandCruiser Owners OnLine website - possibly the longest established Land Cruiser club on the net!LCOOL  Click here to link to the IH8MUD website - run by extremely enthusiastic Land Cruiser owners, with a fantastic source of DIY information and useful forum!IH8MUD  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Code 33??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coyoteboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 14:59    Post subject: Code 33?? Reply with quote

Hi guys, newbie here - not a newbie to 4x4 toyotas (got a Celica GT4 Very Happy) and brother owns a hilux surf 3L, but got confused on this one.

The engine randomly cuts out - and its a proper instant dead cut, and sometimes will restart, others wont for 15 mins. It can be accelerating, idling, motorway blasting - anything - it just shut off like you have turned the key off and the CE light comes on. Initially I expected to find code 34 or similar - sticky wastegate caused overboost or similar seems not...
Engine light comes on, code check returns 33 repeatedly. Check all the listings of OBD1 codes i can find (its a 3L TD P reg colorado) and 33 isnt listed?? I'm guessing its air related as all the air sensors seem to be grouped around the 30's much like on my celica, but this one cant be found. We've had it to toyota who couldnt find the fault despite having the car for 12 weeks, and didnt charge us for looking at it. It stopped playing up for about 2 years but has recently gone nuts again, which isnt helpful when towing etc.

Originally the codes pulled were 13, 33 and 42, then after the 2 years of trouble free driving it returns with only code 33.

any help will be greatly appreciated. Car has no other issues, drives like a dream when its not stalling lol. Its my parents car and its not great for them to have to push it to the side of the road every week.

James
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 14:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

k1elliott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi m8.

I have the Toyota workshop manual for the 3.0 td 1KZTE and indeed 33 is not listed. You sure its a 33?

For cut outs it recommends inspecting
Engine ECU power source circuit
Spill control valve relay circuit
Engine ECU
Injection pump.

The other cdes you mention are: -
12 - Engone speed sensor malfunction
42 - Vehicle Speed sensor Signal Circuit malfunction

It could be the ECU! See if you can get one from a similar car and change over for a while.

cheers,
K
coyoteboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that mate, its *definitely* code 33 - i checked it twice to make sure i wasnt dreaming lol.

Will check over those circuits with a fine toothed comb asap, thanks for narrowing the search down - a definite help.

Out of curiosity, since its not in the manual, do you reckon Toyota GB would be able to throw any light on the unknown code? It might be worth a phone call i guess but going by past Toyota HQ experiences I wont expect a call back lol.

I'll keep you posted if i find anything of joy lol.
Ta again,
James
k1elliott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely worth a try m8. I'll check the Gregory's manual over the weekend 4 u also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Toyota Landcruiser Owners Club Forum Index -> General Technical Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: